How did I do?

Thumbnail avatar 01711909ee

cutewolf230

Chapter 1

The Escape from the Orphanage
Clang! The sound of sword against sword echoed. I was facing of against a brown-bearded pirate, who was cursing heavily and had wild eyes. My hand clutched harder against the hilt of the sword in my hand, and I used all my strength to push the sword away and twirl back. Breathing hard, I charged -
“Alright girls! Time to get up!” Ms. Evee shouted in her shrill but demanding voice.
All the girls around me groaned. I opened one, shining green eye, peaked out of the covers, and groaned as well. No one liked waking up to Ms. Evee’s voice. I pushed the tattered but warm covers away from me. The cold air made the thin hairs on my forearms stand up. I opened both eyes and stood. The girls around me were already getting dressed behind the screens. I grabbed my clothes, a white dress that hung loosely on me, and dressed as well. Grabbing a small piece of fabric, I pulled my wild red curls into a ponytail.
Me, Alexis, and Sarah went down to the well to collect water for the day. The others got work on cleaning our room in the orphanage. The boys of the orphanage were already up, cutting the wood and helping out where needed. The blacksmith apprentices were already heading to the blacksmith shop. Me and Sarah pulled the bucket up for Alexis who filled up her water bucket immediately. Alexis, Sarah, and I took turns pulling up the bucket. Once we had all filled up the rusty buckets, we headed back up to the orphanage. Alexis split off to give Ms. Evee her bucket of water. Sarah and I would give ours to her helpers. After that, I would head to the markets.
After getting the water, I grabbed the basket and the list of food, and headed to the markets. I passed the harbour, where a pirate-looking ship was docked. I thought nothing of it, and continued on. Crowds of people walked from stall to stall, buying food, decorations, and medicine. I walked to Amanda’s stall, where she sold breads and baked goods.
“Hey Brig, how you doing?” Amanda asked, her happy glow shining brighter.
“Good so far, how’s Carlos?” I asked, my head tilting to one side. Carlos is Amanda’s close friend, and the guy that she really likes.
Amanda sighed. “Better. The medication seem to be helping. Now, what does Ms. Evee need?”
I read the list. “Bread, biscuits, and the cake for Miranda.”
“Coming right up.” Amanda replied.
Amanda got the goods, and gave them to me. I placed them in the basket. I paid her, and she snuck me piece of her chocolate chip cookies. I ate it quickly, then continued shopping.
As I approached the orphanage, a pang of sadness stopped me walking. After all the years I’d spent here, no one had adopted me. I stared at the orphanage. It stood alone on a hill. It looked dreary and unhappy, which it really was. It was painted gray, and wasn't built well. There was a cabin off to the side where Ms. Evee and her assistants lived. It was the only thing in a mile radius that was built well. It had expensive furniture inside, and no one was allowed to go inside unless given permission or was giving water to Ms. Evee or her assistants. Suddenly, I remembered we had to be there because it was adoption day.
I ran as fast as I could without tripping to the orphanage. I slid in through the doorway, almost forgetting Ms. Evee didn't like us running. I slowed down before she could hear me running. I walked up the stairs and to my assigned room before you could say ‘Pirates don’t eat vanilla and strawberry cake’ five times fast. Alexis handed me the dress we were supposed to wear adoption day and I hid behind one of the screens and dressed quickly. Then we all went down to the living room. Today though, I hoped to be adopted. I would be turning 16 in a few months, and therefore closer to adulthood. The adults streamed in, all going towards the younger kids. A good friend of mine, Eliza, walked towards me, two adults, a male and a female, in tow. Eliza is around 9 years old, and I remember when she came to this orphanage. I knelt to her level.
“Hey Brigid!” her happy tone made me smile gently.
“Hey Ellie,” I replied, “Did you find a family?”
“Yeah! This is Anna and Mark, they're gonna take me home.” Eliza answered, her voice soft.
My smile grew wider. Eliza deserved to find a home. “Oh yeah?”
“Yeah!” Eliza exclaimed.
I stood and faced Anna and Mark. “Eliza is a good person. She’ll fit into your family easily.”

Anna, a black haired lady, smiled at me. “Good. Do you think you could show us to Ms. Evee’s office?”
I smiled and lead them to her office. I could hear voices coming from inside.
“Here we are. I’ll see if I can tell Ms. Evee about you.” I told the soon-to-be family.
I knocked on the door. The voices inside stopped talking.
“Who is it?” Ms. Evee called.
“Brigid!” I replied.
“Come in Brigid.” Ms. Evee said as I walked in. “We were just talking about you.”
A middle-aged man with a black beard was sitting in one of the velvet chairs opposite Ms. Evee. They were talking about me? Is he going to adopt me? Is he my real father? Ms. Evee, a brown haired, stout middle-aged woman gestured for me to sit down. I did.
“Yes Brigid?” She asked, her tone implying she didn't want me here.
“A family is here to adopt Eliza. They wanted to speak to you.” I told her.
“Of course. Mr. Teach, you wanted to speak to Brigid?” Ms. Evee asked the man.
“Yes.” The man, Mr. Teach, stood. “May I speak to you outside, Brigid?”
I blinked. “Off course sir.”
He led me outside. I was bursting with questions to ask. I took what he was wearing in. A white shirt, black, pants, black boots, and no tie. Definitely not in style anymore. Curious. But what was really strange was how he talked. He talked like he went to proper school, but looked as if he hadn't.
“Well, miss, I’m here to take you home.” He began. “I told Ms. Evee this, but she won't allow me to take you home, saying she can take care of you until you are old enough to do it yourself.”
“What she tells you is wrong sir. She doesn't take care of anyone but herself.” I told him. “Are you my father?”
“What? No, good heavens, no. Your mother and I don't quite … see eye to eye.” Mr. Teach said.
“Oh.”
“But if your living conditions are not the greatest, I can take you home.” Mr. Teach told me.
“I can escape tonight. Where will I find you?” I asked.
“On the pirate boat docked in the harbour.” Mr. Teach said, leaving after finishing his statement.
Later, everyone was asleep. I was sitting up, counting seconds, and pretending I was asleep everytime someone passed the door. I had a bag of stuff underneath my bed. Reaching underneath, I pulled it out, laid notes next to my friends’ pillows, and turned towards the window. A board creaked. I stopped, shallowly breathing, and not moving. Miranda tossed in her bed, but no other movement took place. I darted toward the open window, and climbed out. My fingers barely held onto the ivy covered pipe. Once safely down, I ran. The harbour came into view. Shouting was coming from the pirate boat.
“Toss the ladder over! Hoist the anchor! Lift the sail!”
Mr. Teach’s face came into view. A ladder was tossed down one side. I jumped, and climbed up. Once in the ship, I looked over to the orphanage. Ms. Evee was running, her stout legs barely carrying her heavy set body. Mr. Teach was beside me, shouting at the crew to set off. I waved merrily at Ms. Evee, a wide smile gracing my lips. The boat lurched forwards, and I fell backwards. Someone caught me, and I barely got a glimpse of his sharp, dark blue eyes before he dropped me. Mr. Teach helped me up. I returned his warm smile. He turned toward the horizon and pointed toward the dark shape in the distance.
“Well, miss, looks like your heading home.”

• Posted at:

Please tell us why you'd like to report this post

☾Halo

Catholic  

Luana/Lulu

I call dibs on Gally (oh and Harry Hook)! 

To the Haven for Werewolves, 54 pages and over 2,100 posts.

Thumbnail avatar 56e56a6bc0

hydrahoneydew9

Woahhhhh 

• Posted at:

ocean 

your evil fandom reference queen

haunted by knee bruise goblins | nr's mb-sis

|probably playing miitopia | drowning in ships|

≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋

(thanks eris)

#Saveisaac2k18

#wafflesarefriends

Thumbnail avatar a22af11286

dogwizard506

Are you going to include the charecters from the rp

• Posted at:

Ice

Spiderman rules

I'm a Spirit animal reader

Survivors dog

Warrior Cat

Shadowhouser

Tombquester

and Goosebumps lover

I love all animals

#adopt a rescue

Thumbnail avatar ef17cc5c71

amazingdawn82

It's very good, but you need to add more.

• Posted at:

Alheimur  

(Formerly Constellation)

I'm that bookworm in the corner...

#Derpyisbestpony

INFP-A

Professional introvert

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein

cutewolf230

@Ice : No, sorry. Most of the characters are based off my friends in real life, and I came up with different names for all of them. 

• Posted at:

☾Halo

Catholic  

Luana/Lulu

Thumbnail avatar a22af11286

dogwizard506

Aww ok thats fine. It's good so far

• Posted at:

Ice

Spiderman rules

I'm a Spirit animal reader

Survivors dog

Warrior Cat

Shadowhouser

Tombquester

and Goosebumps lover

I love all animals

#adopt a rescue

cutewolf230

Chapter 2

Hawthorne's Island

I sat on the handrail of the stairs leading to the wheel. I watched as the starry midnight blue sky turned to a light pink at the edges, making a ring of blush. A strong wind had picked up, making the sails turn and flap. It was cold, and I had nothing to protect me but the blue rag wrapped around my shoulders. I had no idea where I was going but I knew it was going to be an adventure, a mystery. I heard footsteps coming up the stairs. A girl with blonde hair with rainbow streaks in pigtails was staring at me, this weird smile plastered on her face. What in Ocean’s name is she doing? 

“What?” I asked. 

She stayed frozen for a few seconds, then sneezed. The sneeze was loud, but she wasn’t sick. 

“Um,” I started, completely unsure how to talk to her. “Hello?” 

The girl blinked, then looked at me. “Hi! I’m Kaylee, but you can call me Unicorn, or Emoji. Or Unicorn Emoji.” She exclaimed all at once. 

I started making observations about her. Hyper. Probably distracted easily. She could be a reliable friend. 

Still mystified about her behavior I took a few minutes to reply. Kaylee looked at me expectantly. “Okay then.” I said, dragging out the o. 

Kaylee jumped up next to me. I looked back towards the sunrise. A breathtaking views of wide blue ocean and a current of wind whipping through my hair reminded me of the freedom I had just received. Taking in a breath of fresh air, I sighed. Kaylee also sighed. 

“So, you're Brigid, right?” She asked. 

I replied, “Yeah. So where are we going?” 

“Hawthorne's Island, you’ll meet your family there – ooh!” Kaylee rushed to the side of the boat. 

What’s going on? I thought. Then I saw why. 

A pod of dolphins were swimming beside the boat. A spray of mist hit me as one of the jumping dolphins landed. Instead of getting angry, I laughed, a joyful and melodious sound. Kaylee squealed as another spray flew up in the air. I love this so much! 

The dolphins stayed near the boat, in seeing range at least, until a crew member in the Crow’s Nest shouted, 

“Land ho!” 

My head shot up, and my eyes searched for land. They landed on rocky terrain, and grassy hills. Soon shouts and responses were heard from the crew. Kaylee headed up to the front of the ship, dragging me with her. At the front, a dragon’s head reared up, like it was breathing fire and lighting the way for the ship. Kaylee grasped the rope ladder and climbed up enough so she could see over the mast. I followed her, and stared down at the action below.

“What’s the name of the ship we are on?” I asked.

“Freedom. Captain Teach said when they named it that the boat represents the freedom that being at sea gives you.” Kaylee answered.

“I understand. I’ve never been outside of the orphanage before, and I think that being at sea does give you freedom.” I replied, staring down at the rolling waves.

“We’ll arrive at the docks soon. Just to inform you, you have a sister, and don’t get at mad at her. She can be a really good fighter, in fact she’s the best we have.” Kaylee told me.

~~

We arrived at the docks around 4 hours later. The docks were wooden, and the bottom was covered in algae. Kaylee warned me that the ground is slippery until we reached the solid ground. I made sure to go slowly until we reached the cobblestone path. The villages we went through were beautiful, and very rustic. We reached the castle, a beautiful marble and stone structure hanging off the side of a mountain over a cliff. We went over a wide river on a bridge that was very high above it. The bridge itself was stone, and the path was cobblestone. Carriages were going across, and there were so many we had to keep dodging them, constantly. We arrived at the entrance of the castle, huge wooden doors with metal at the top and bottom. Guards stood at either side.

“Halt!” One called as Mr. Teach approached the door.

My eyebrows rose. Why were we approaching a castle? Did my parents live in the castle? Mr. Teach pulled out a scroll, and showed it to the guard.

“Captain Teach! Come right in!” The guard then made a hand motion at the guards on top of the doors, and the doors slowly opened.

‘Can you tell Elijah, Ethan and Jake that when they get here to either head home or go to the throne room?” Mr. Teach asked.

“Of course sir!” The guard answered.  

Mr. Teach proceeded through, weaving through crowds of people and servants. We reached a sort of throne room, where a red haired lady with beautiful emerald set in a gold crown sat on the throne. Her brownish-red hair was up in a half up-half down style and her shining green eyes were scanning over everyone in the room. She nodded at Mr. Teach, who rushed up and whispered something in her ear. She nodded and stood.

She addressed everyone in the room, “My loyal subjects, my long lost daughter has come home at last. We shall have a feast at sunset in celebration!”

The room cheered, and then went on with business. The queen, as I presumed she was, came down from her throne, her emerald green dress swirling around her high heel clad feet.

“What is your name, my dear?” The queen asked, looking into my eyes.

“Brigid, Your Majesty.” I said, bowing my head.

“I see Tomas did one thing right. Brigid, I am your mother, Queen Brianna O’Malley of Hawthorne Island.”

• Posted at:

☾Halo

Catholic  

Luana/Lulu