What do you think of this story?

Thumbnail avatar 85c4a7060f

wolfdragon37424

Chapter One (Maya):

One, two, one, and two.  Step, step, step, I told myself, pounding around the track like a pack of wolves were on my heels.  The key is balance and rhythm, not speed or strength. 

Despite my internal couching, I was still at the middle of the group.  Genesis Crown, my former-nemesis, was closing the gap between us, her black hair bouncing.  Keep going, my brain urged me.  Just don’t trip on-AAAAHHHHH!!!  I stumbled over a rock on the track, sailing head over heels and smashing into the dirt.  Genesis passed me with a smirk, followed by Nimbus, who was carrying a green lap flag.  He’s on his second lap already??!

Somehow, I managed to get up and continue the next few laps, passing the finish line in eighth place.  Coach raised his eyebrows at me as I stumbled past him towards Nimbus.  Who was in first, as always.

“Nice run, Maya.  I like that you’re focusing on rhythm and pace, not pure speed,” he grinned.  “You’ll do better next time.  If you keep up your pace and don’t trip over any rocks next time, you might get third or fourth place!”

“Yeah, right,” I half-grumped, wrapping a damp towel around my neck.  “You can’t get any worse than eighth place.”  Nimbus arched his eyebrows and pointed to the track as Rorry Sońg burst past in ninth place, puffing and panting over to us.

“Better luck next time, Rorry,” Nimbus smiled, and Rorry returned the grin half-heartedly.  I followed him over to his pack, where he grabbed a Boston Crème donut.

“You’ve been carrying that in your pack the whole time?” I asked, scrutinizing the treat. 

“Don’t expect me to eat while I run,” he joked, biting into it.  I raised my eyebrows.

“I wouldn’t put it past you,” I retorted with a teasing smile.  Rorry laughed, his crystal, cobalt-blue eyes sparkling, and quickly finished off the donut in one fell swoop.  “By the way…we don’t have much homework to do.  Want to come over after school?”  His answer was interrupted by a shriek.  I wheeled around, and stifled a scream of my own.

Nimbus was standing on the track, staring at two furry tails that had uncurled from his jeans.  They were a dark-amber/golden hue, with black tips.  The track team gathered around him, staring at the tails. 

“Someone get Coach!” Caspian Firefoxx called. 

“He’s in the bathroom,” Genesis answered, absently picking at her jacket.  Nimbus was still rooted to the spot, swaying back and forth.  “Nimbus, what-I just don’t get it.  Did these just appear?” 

“I-I was just thinking about how much I love track-and how I wished that I could take speed to the next level…then I felt this burning pain a-and these appeared,” he shakily answered.  Creepy, I thought.

“Well maybe we could get you to a doctor…” Rorry started. 

“No!  They might cut them off, or send me to a lab, or the circus…” Nimbus rushed.  “What if I’m just some experiment?” Rorry put a hand on Nimbus’ shoulder.

“Calm down.  You can come with us to Maya’s house if you want.  It’s nice and quiet there.  We’ll sit in the garden and talk.” Nimbus nodded slowly.  “We’ll leave a note for the principal.  We don’t have to tell anything.  But we should get you away from Coach quickly.  Which means we leave now.” 

My mother sat with us in the back garden, a strange expression on her face.  Nimbus attempted to tuck his tails into his pants, but they were too big.  Genesis flopped on her back and whipped out her phone.  Rorry just sat there, a butterfly on his nose.  He crossed his eyes and stared at it, as did I.  Caspian was locked in a debate with himself over some random topic.  All of us were trying to avoid the obvious, except for my mom. 

“Well, this is nothing new, but I’ll explain everything,” she started, her snowy white curls bouncing on her back as she sat down.  I gaped.  Nothing new??  I thought.  She’s seen human-tails before?!  Or is she just kidding with us?  “We-when I say we, I mean all of you, including me, are not human.  I’ll put it bluntly first.”  Rorry jolted forward in a cross between horror and curiosity, scaring his butterfly away.  My mother continued, “We are called Slydogs, and we have grown up alongside humans, in disguise, for many years.  This explains the tails, Nimbus.  We have the ability to transform into a human to fool others, but…we’re foxes.  Bear with me here.  This is not some creepy joke.  All of us are very special.  We are decscended directly from the great Slydog’s children, Lightningfoot, Blazeear, Ivynose, and Ivorytail.  There are lots of precautions we’ll have to take now, but no one has to cut their tail-or tails-off.  Are you still with me?” 

Caspian fainted.  Rorry looked like he was going to vomit.  Genesis had stopped texting and was looking at her hands as if she was expecting fur to sprout from her skin.  Nimbus closed his eyes and began to take deep breaths.  As for me?  I wasn’t sure how I felt.  Confused, angry, and scared, to name a few.  I searched my mother’s face, looking for the telltale smile.  Nothing.  Is this true?  I wondered. 

“P-prove it.  That we’re not ps-psycho mutants,” Genesis stuttered.  “W-why should we believe you?” 

There was a sudden flash of blinding light.  When it died down, I screamed.  My mom had disappeared.  In her place was a small, lithe fox with bristly, light-grey fur and three, poofy tails.  No-no-no-no-no, this isn’t happening!!  My mind shrieked.  Rorry jumped back, startled.  Nimbus choked.

“You mean, we can do that?  Transform, I mean,” Rorry asked.  The fox nodded, and transformed back into my mom.

“Are y-you still my mom?” I asked nervously.  My mother smiled.

“Of course, Maya!” She hugged me tightly.  “Now you all try it.  Close your eyes, and envision a wish of another life…” 

I want everything to turn out all right, I thought. Suddenly, there was a flash of light, and my world went spinning.

Then I blacked out.

END

Tell me what you think!

Mods please let this post!

• Posted at:

Please tell us why you'd like to report this post

CatshocHistarian ("Jest") 

Finger Snap TM 

jester

*now with more insanity!*

*moderately insane*

l star trek l yu-gi-oh l hamilton l

Do you realize what you've done to me?

Tossed me around like a ship at sea

Do your eyes hurt now?   

Thumbnail avatar 64e9c3bc52

crowsoul50

WHOOOOO NIMBY

Keep it up! This is really cool! 

• Posted at:

LA Strong. 

Call me IshmaelLord Edgelord to you. 

Narnia is my city. 

They try to break me down, but in snapping my wings they forget I have claws. 

Artist//Camp Counselor//Psychology Enthusiast

Ruler of cringe

wolfdragon37424

up

• Posted at:

Finger Snap TM 

jester

*moderately insane*

Do your eyes hurt now?   

Thumbnail avatar a4b4f844b2

dolphinbutterfly1060

Omg, Jest!! This is soooooo goood!! I'll even re-post it to my friends!! 

Itz so amazing.

Oh, and yeah, Le Rorry just loves butterflies. ^Heh^ This is sooooo good thoooo.

• Posted at:

MeikotoshOr Ash, Otaku Jester   

Me, Peri, Just, Kitsu, Sonoza, Sachi, Tak, L

It's time to get spookay!!

#Kødash

wolfdragon37424

Chapter Two (Rorry):

I opened my eyes and bright spots filled them.  I shut them again and curled my tail around myself.  Wait, I have a tail??  I thought.  Sitting up, I dared open my eyes.  Fuzzy lights spun into my vision.  I was sitting in some sort of bioluminescent cave, with glowing, blue moss clinging to the ceiling.  The others were sitting up, yawning and stretching. 

“Maya, where are we?” I asked the fox next to me.  She blinked, confused.  Then I understood.  “Sorry, Genesis!  I thought you were Maya.  This could be confusing.” 

“I’m over here, if you were wondering,” a snow-white fox with lime/cyan highlights and three tails yipped.  What do I look like?  I wondered, and studied my paws.  They were also white, with tiny flecks of crystal blue. 

Maya’s mother looked around, and gave a small whimper.

“Children, I know you’re adjusting to your new form, but…RUN!!” she burst, and bounded for the cave exit.  A loud snarl sounded behind me, and I caught a whiff of cat musk.  That’s all I had to know.  We all took off, winding down a mossy path towards a forest below. 

Huge paws pounded the earth behind me, as the cat closed in.  I risked shooting a glance at our pursuer, and screeched.  The creature, whatever it was, was…hot pink?  It had the build and shape of a panther, with rosy pink fins running down its back, slavering jaws, two whip-like tails, and crazed, blue eyes. 

“I’ll hold him off!” Maya’s mother suddenly cried.

“Are you kidding?  That thing’s three times your size!” Caspian puffed, but she paid no heed, stepping in front of Rorry. 

“Keep going!” she cried.  “I know what I’m doing!”  Maya gave a squeak, but we all dashed forward and away, as the panther-thing snarled and leapt forward.  Be safe. 

We continued forward for what felt like hours, paws pounding over dirt.  Slowly, the forest changed, and we were standing in front of a huge, stone manor.  Gargoyles snarled down at us from the top of the tall gate.

“What do we do?” Nimbus asked.  Genesis tentatively pawed at the gate.  It swung open.  “Never mind.  That worked.”  I nervously stepped in, my tail bristling.

“Let’s be careful,” Maya advised.  “We don’t know who owns this manor.”

“Don’t worry,” a voice in the shadows of the manor said.  “You don’t want to know.  And you won’t.  Get out.”  Caspian froze as a black fox-wolf stepped out from the shadows.  He was easily the size of the cat that had chased them, even a little bigger.  His beetle black fur blended in with the dark cobblestones of the wall, and except for the streaks of red on his tail, he would be perfectly camouflaged. 

“I’m sorry, sir,” I apologized, bowing my head and pinning my tail down.  “We were just looking for a place to rest.”

“Well, that’s not good enough,” he growled.  Suddenly, a yip of protest came from the shadows.  More Slydogs?  I wondered.  Genesis waved her tail impatiently as a young, dark-grey Slydog popped out, just a little younger than us.

“Inkfur, let them in.  They mean no harm,” she protested to the first one.  Inkfur growled and gave in.

“Fine.  But I’ll be watching them, Nightstep,” he sighed, striding up the steps.              Maya gave a yip of happiness as the doors opened, and we walked in.

“Welcome to WhiteHeart Manor,” Inkfur snarled.

END

Tell me what you think!

Mods please let this post!!!!

• Posted at:

Finger Snap TM 

jester

*moderately insane*

Do your eyes hurt now?   

wolfdragon37424

Who pushed mai button??

• Posted at:

Finger Snap TM 

jester

*moderately insane*

Do your eyes hurt now?   

crowsoul50

*thumbs up*

• Posted at:

LA Strong. 

Narnia is my city. 

Ruler of cringe

Thumbnail avatar 088970e1d9

horsedragon1273

I'm enjoying this so far.

Genesis seems to just be blazing through without regards to what might happen. Nice.

• Posted at:

>Rebel<

DCI Obsessed.

Tell me, what do you see?

"Where does that elevator go?"

"Downstairs, obviously."

"Snakes. Why'd it have to be snakes?"

"Come out from your cage. There's a whole twisted world out there."

7-8-2014

J O V R

dolphinbutterfly1060

*Raises hand guiltily* I pushed your button...I had to.

• Posted at:

#Kødash

wolfdragon37424

:glares half-heartedly at Ash: Next chapter is NIMBUS!  Coming tomorrow!

• Posted at:

Finger Snap TM 

jester

*moderately insane*

Do your eyes hurt now?   

wolfdragon37424

up

• Posted at:

Finger Snap TM 

jester

*moderately insane*

Do your eyes hurt now?   

crowsoul50

YAY

• Posted at:

LA Strong. 

Narnia is my city. 

Ruler of cringe

Thumbnail avatar 880787e4f7

darkwolf6599

What're you talking about! It's clearly MY BUTTON! 

• Posted at:

The "Boys Club"

Moonstar "OakClan lives on!"-Thor *Loud snores*-Ratchet "Yip-ip-ip!"-SpongeBob "I'M READY!"   -Boris "You wanna play with the big boys, huh?"-Jack "Aye"-Me "Why didn't I pick any girls?" 

"You're just pure weird"-Viv

wolfdragon37424

Chapter Three (Nimbus):

How do you navigate around here?  I wondered, emerging out into a corridor I’d already traveled.  This place is huge!  And confusing…

After a brief tour of the Common with Inkfur, he’d left us to wander, saying something about “preparing the Succession Test”.  Whatever it is, it didn’t sound interesting, so I’d headed off on my own.  Maya stayed behind and talked to an official about sending out a search for her mom. 

The place was pretty much alive with life, except for the area where I was.  However, I was hopelessly lost.  I can figure this out, I thought.  I think. 

Stepping around the corner, I looked up at the ceiling and sighed.  This particular section showed a smoky grey Slydog with two tails (like me!) and blazing yellow eyes.  He was bounding forward, leaving a streak of blue-ish lightning and smoke behind him.  Who’s that?  I thought. 

Suddenly, I heard a sniffle from behind the door right in front of me.  Someone’s crying!  I thought.  Cautiously, I pushed the door open with a squeak and found a rosy pink Slydog with three tails sitting in the middle of the room.  She yelped and stepped back, the gold bracelet on her paw rustling.

“Oh!  I’m sorry, I didn’t mean—” I started, stepping back.  She fluffed her tails and tried to regain her composure. 

“It’s alright,” she told me, forcing a smile.  “I’m sure you meant well.  Though I literally didn’t see you coming.”  It took a second for what she said to sink in.

“You’re blind?” I asked.  She nodded, her glassy eyes traveling around the room, fixating on me.  “Huh.  You don’t mind?” 

“I’ve gotten used to it,” she said, almost defensively.  “Took me ages, but I memorized the entire layout of WhiteHeart Manor.” 

“I’ve got to see it to believe it.  I don’t even know where I am right now!” he confessed.  She smiled. 

“You’re in the Royal Wing, also known as the Forbidden Wing,” she informed me.  I gulped and raised one paw nervously.

“Oh, um…should I leave?  Is it forbidden?” I asked.  She laughed.

“No, it’s fine.  Inkfur didn’t tell you about this area?  I should’ve known.  Brother has a habit of not telling things,” she chuckled.  Wait…

“Inkfur’s your brother?” I gaped.  She nodded, and I realized something.  “Wait, I haven’t even introduced myself.  I’m Nimbus.”  She stepped forward.

“I’m Princess Roseberry, but call me Rose,” she said.  Princess?  My mind was ready to explode with all the new information.  “I’m…erm…taking care of my mother, Queen Highblood.  She’s sick.” 

There was an awkward silence as I registered a sleeping figure behind Rose, her fur a golden-brown. 

“Um…alright.  I should probably be going though.  If your brother finds me here who knows what he’ll do…” I started.  Rose smiled. 

“That’s fine.  I should probably give Queen her medicine anyway.  Come by tomorrow?” she asked.  “I’ll give directions.”

“That would be great!” I yipped.  “Bye, Rose!” 

I made it back to the Common just in time.  Everyone else had arrived, including Inkfur.  He made a point of glaring at me suspiciously.  I rolled my eyes.

“Alright.  The Succession Test shall begin with Caspian,” he informed us.  We murmured good luck as he stepped forward nervously and followed Inkfur out of the Common. 

“What is this Succession Test anyway?” I asked.  No one answered.

“Well,” Maya started.  “I found out that it’s not painful, but it’s not an exam either.  The first part might be painful.  Possibly.”  Rorry sighed and rolled onto his back, twitching. 

“Oh!  Maya, what did the officials say about your mom?” I asked.  She bounced happily.

“They said they’d send a search party immediately!  And they did!” She announced.  All of us perked up and yipped happily.

Suddenly, Inkfur came back into the Common.  Caspian was not with him.

“I’ve left your friend with the other apprentices.  Come now, Genesis.  Your turn.”

END

Tell me what you think!!

Mods please let this through!!

• Posted at:

Finger Snap TM 

jester

*moderately insane*

Do your eyes hurt now?   

crowsoul50

*applause*

• Posted at:

LA Strong. 

Narnia is my city. 

Ruler of cringe

wolfdragon37424

My story hasn't been going through!

Sorry guys, I'll try again.

• Posted at:

Finger Snap TM 

jester

*moderately insane*

Do your eyes hurt now?   

Thumbnail avatar eb5801f5ee

catdragon13873

It's because of the glitch.

• Posted at:

Jade-

Jade- Me 

Pineapplethe RainWing/NightWing hybrid

Bubblesplash- the warrior cat 

Bored- Meh flipside 

Pinkie Pie- the MLP character 

Peril- the firescales dragon

Welcome back old people!

Best Post:/298740

dolphinbutterfly1060

What is this "glitch" you speak of?

• Posted at:

#Kødash

Thumbnail avatar eb5801f5ee

catdragon13873

The one that isn't letting any long posts through. Or medium length.

• Posted at:

Jade-

Jade- Me 

Pineapplethe RainWing/NightWing hybrid

Bubblesplash- the warrior cat 

Bored- Meh flipside 

Pinkie Pie- the MLP character 

Peril- the firescales dragon

Welcome back old people!

Best Post:/298740