Thumbnail avatar 8bf0113d39

dogdragon1303

I posted about making this, and people seem to want it, so here goes:

We all know that this site has many, many roleplay's. In order to join roleplay's, you have to make a character. Typically, the character you make for the roleplay is your OC.

None of us are perfect with OC's. Most of us start out with slightly cringey OC's. (My first animal OC was a blue fox named Luna. My first human OC was a guy named Hunter who was a hunter.) but we have to start somewhere.

This thread is to help you build deeper OC's and (hopefully) get a better understanding of them. We will discuss topics (such as OC's backstories, OC's with mental illnesses or disabilities, personalities, etc.)

I will choose a topic to discuss, then we'll all say what we think about it. It's kind of like a friendly debate, but not really debate-ish, if that makes sense. We'll discuss the topic for awhile, then move on once I say. I'll be as fair as possible and try to stay on subjects for a good while.

Try not to copy others, and don't argue. Most likely, someone won't agree with your statement. Hopefully after everyone has said their opinions, we can see what lines up and makes the most sense. 

So. With that said, here's what we'll discuss first:

Dead parents and/or families.

yep.

This one seems to be a favorite among many. I guess some see it as adding a bit of a twist. I personally don't. 

So many people use this scenario that it isn't really unique anymore. I'm gonna admit, sometimes when I read a short story and I find out the protagonist's parents are dead, I groan inwardly.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not always against the protagonist having dead parents and such. It's when it doesn't advance the plot that  it gets annoying.

Sometimes dead parents are necessary. Their death advances the plot, such as in Harry Potter. If Harry's parents hasn't died, he would've had a normal wizard life. He wouldn't be the "Boy Who Lived." We might as well just have a book about Hermione Granger or Ron Weasley or (better yet) Fred Weasley, because his life would be similar to theirs in a way that he grew up an "ordinary" wizard. There would (most likely) be no story if his parents were living.

Now take Big Hero 6. (The Motion Picture.) I've never read the comics, and maybe in those there is a reason, but Hiro's parent's are dead and I personally don't see how it advances the plot. I think that if his parent's were alive, it would be interesting to see him try to be a hero without them figuring out. It would be nice to see their reactions to situations, and I think it would make the movie much better.

Tadashi's death, however, was important (obviously.) it's what ultimately made Hiro become a hero. Without his death, we would have a movie about a teenager who made cool technology. (Which I think would be kind of interesting.)

I think the best way to summarize this would be: if the death isn't relevant to the plot, don't make them dead. I know just about all of us like to make our characters suffer (like the bad people we are), but there are different ways you can do that. Your protagonist can be living a normal life with a happy family when he somehow through a course of events finds himself on a journey to do whatever. Instead of your character missing his dead parents, he can be missing his living parents and family. He can be homesick but he knows that he can't go home until he solves his problem and who knows how long that'll take. Maybe he leaves as a pre-teen and is an legal adult by the time he returns to his family. (I  have a story in which that happens.) It can also give your protagonist another thing he's fighting for.

• Posted at:

Please tell us why you'd like to report this post

Embyr Liz

Call me Embyr

Proud Christian!

Slytherin

Queen of Lizards

Acting the goat

I'd rather stand with God, and be judged by the world, than stand with the world, and be judged by God.

Proud member of Mrs. Wolfe's Haven! Here's to the 23rd page!

dogdragon1303

*bumps this like the dork I am*

• Posted at:

Embyr Liz

Call me Embyr

Proud Christian!

Slytherin

Queen of Lizards

Acting the goat

I'd rather stand with God, and be judged by the world, than stand with the world, and be judged by God.

Thumbnail avatar 00c940725c

lavenderdawn69

Hey,can I show my OC to you? What does the form look like for that?

• Posted at:

Lavender

ASLAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!,you'd make a great teacher.

By the way,has anyone heard about or read Hawksmaid?

The world changes,nature shrivels but also blooms,yet we stay strong.

I like this. //Big Hero 6 I loved that movie//

My original OC was Eliza-a soul smeller. Her mother died, and her father was left with greif. She couldn't bare the tangible sorrow //Because she can smell the emotions of others// in the house. So she fled, trying to wean off the happiness of others.

But I believe authors think the character can develop better with no family to begin with, which has become a cliche. 

• Posted at:

Pine

"Take me home

where the world makes sense

where I can understand

because when I fight

because I can't fight

because I got what I wanted

but I lost what I had

its like grasping the wind

once I hold it

I'm off the ground

and blown away."

lavenderdawn69

I don't mind it,as long as the story and the characters are good.

• Posted at:

Lavender

Thumbnail avatar b663ac9925

eagledragon1343

ooh i wanna talk about dead parents~

ok so one thing i tend to see a lot (especially on the samb) are characters whose parents died - sometimes in front of them!!! - and they dont even have any sort of ptsd. so if your oc’s parents are dead, make you character suffer a little! its so common to just say “so-and-so’s parents are dead but theyre still super happy” or whatever. like if your parents died, no matter how optimistic you are, itll probably traumatize you to some degree - even if you werent fond of your parents to begin with. of course, you can kind of avoid the whole trauma thing if you kill off your characters parents when theyre super young. i have a rwby oc whose parents died before she even met them, so she doesnt really feel sad when she thinks about them, because how can you miss someone you never knew? and she isnt even missing out on the family aspect, because she was raised by her aunt and her husband + three children, so she views them as her parents and siblings instead of just aunt and uncle and cousins. and since theyre all okay, she hasnt really been through anything scarring (well in the rp shes in half of her team is dead but thats another story)

• Posted at:

eve

|11/17/2013|virgo|slytherin|infj-t|chaotic good|agnostic theist|

with our claws, a killing spree

with our fangs, can you keep up with me?

Thumbnail avatar ea66728fe7

livelyfire22

My first OC was Lauren Nightshade. Her parents wheren’t dead, but they had vanished in a freak accident years earlier and she had to find them during the story. So they weren’t dead, they were basically just out of the picture. She knew they were still alive because she had telekinesis and could sense their presence. (It was a mutant story). I think having dead parents is a good thing if the characters are older and if it adds significantly to the story. But if it’s a nine year old kid with no parents and all he does is save the world, that makes no sense, it’s irrelevant.

• Posted at:

Sally

HAMMOCFLAVORED DRINK FAMILY

I have loved you all for years, and I will never stop.

My friends, my family, I will never forget you all. 

Goodbye.

#fluffeh

#rememberthelost

Thumbnail avatar 52f4c8e2bc

autumnlibrarian16

See I have an OC that has her father assumed dead

But it's basically part of her character development when she realizes he is just missing

For the most part, if the parent isn't relevant, I just don't mention them

• Posted at:

~Autumn Librarian~

Just call me Autumn!

Books, Books, and Books

~Nerd~Bookworm~Pokemon~Wings of Fire~

~Rabbits~Harry Potter~Flowers~

~Ravenpuff/Ravenclaw~RainWing~Amity~

"Hi, girl!"

Thumbnail avatar 48e8581bc9

crowsoul50

I also think it’s a way to not have to worry about the parents at all. “Character routinely kills people? What would their mother say? Don’t worry about it, she’s dead.” That kind of thing. I agree that it’s a cliche. It’s used in movies and television all the time to stir up empathy with the audience and since we are surrounded with that, it seems only natural that it worms its way into our OCs. Like you said, it can help grow a character when used correctly. It could be motivation to seek revenge, which is all well and good, but also a cliche. I think having dead parents would have much more of an impact if the character received word of it in the actual rp/story. You see how the character reacts to and changes because of this and helps them grow. The parents are still dead, yes, but not right off the bat like every other time. 

• Posted at:

ℂall me Ishmael.

Hammock Flavored Drinks Family

pυт тнαт тнιɴɢ вαcĸ wнere ιт cαмe ғroм or ѕo нelp мe

Gucci Gang: Ishamel•Ishmeal•Ishmale•FishmealAhab

Don’t hug me, I’m scared. 

Thumbnail avatar b114f60249

unicornwolf33

Yeah, I agree with that

All my characters have parents except for one

They killed their parents

But otherwise everyone's parents are living

Orphans are pretty overdone in general

I can see why people might do it because they want to explain why their character can get away with certain things 

Or they don't want to write parents, they only want to focus on the main character who also happens to be a teen

• Posted at:

LupDarkBlade

I know always that I am an outsider;

a stranger in this century

and among those who are still men.

Queen of Wolves

|INTP|Classic Rock|Roleplayer|3/11/14|

SANTIAGO

Thumbnail avatar ea66728fe7

livelyfire22

lately, the new thing is books about orphaned teenagers. Usually because teenagers aren’t adults, so they don’t have as many responsibilities and because they’re not children, so they can be a bit romantic and have deeper feelings than most younger children could. Having no parents would traumatize most actual kids, so why doesn’t it in books? For example, in sprit animals (spoiler alert) when Maylin loses her father, she’s sad for like, five minutes, then she’s just mad. I understand that, but she should have grieved more. It makes, like, almost no sense. 

• Posted at:

Sally

HAMMOCFLAVORED DRINK FAMILY

I have loved you all for years, and I will never stop.

My friends, my family, I will never forget you all. 

Goodbye.

#fluffeh

#rememberthelost

dogdragon1303

@Lavender- I don't really have any planned forms, but feel free to make your own and show her.

• Posted at:

Embyr Liz

Call me Embyr

Proud Christian!

Slytherin

Queen of Lizards

Acting the goat

lavenderdawn69

Name:Alexandros

Personality:Alexandros often speaks before thinking. He's blunt,aloof,rude,a little inconsiderate,and untrusting,but if you earn his trust,you've got a friend for life.

Alexandros has poor social skills,but is also brave,driven,intelligent,and resourceful. He can't stand people being in trouble,and you can count on him to protect and defend anyone who is.

He also likes to be alone,and is not used to working in groups.

He is not afraid of death,and tries to make the most of his time among the living.

He is pessimistic and cynical.

Appearance:Alexandros has black hair and dark gray eyes. He has deathly pale skin and sunken in eyes. His eyes reveal he's been through a lot,and that he trusts no one. He looks malnourished and dirty.

He's so skinny,you can see his bones,and he's also average height.

Before he was teleported to Merle Ambrose,he wore ragged and worn out clothes. However,after he was teleported to Merle Ambrose,he wears a black and white robe,a black and white hat,and black and white shoes.

Backstory:It's in development. Just know that Alexandros has been through a lot.

Other:He is British.

He is a main character in my story,The Wizards' Tales,where seven people are teleported to the magical world of Wizard101.

• Posted at:

Lavender

Thumbnail avatar 5d50bc1d7d

tricksterangel48

It’s mostly in superhero stories that you see the whole dead parents thing. Like, Batman’s parents are dead, Superman’s parents are dead, Spider-Man, Daredevil, etc. It’s extremely common in superheroes, and frankly annoying. Like, is that the only good motivation you can find for those characters? What about a superhero who fights to protect their sweet younger sibling? Or someone who’s getting revenge for a dead pet? What about a superhero/mutant that has a normal backstory and is only that way because they want to, you know, be a good person and save some people?

Although, personally, I’d love a superhero story where the protagonist is getting revenge for a dead pet. 

• Posted at:

ceol

infp // libra // hufflepuff // bisexual

ill see you in the future when were older

and we are full of stories to be told

() ~remember chester bennington~

gang: dan, danny, grey [formerly dan II], aleks

Thumbnail avatar 64dd561ea5

lynxlynx3024

my second RP was about orphans but I mostly let the parents out of it because it is way easier for me and I am not that good at english so it don't help when I also need to write about the parents

• Posted at:

HUGO/NEBUR/NEVA/AZER

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts

-Bertrand russell

#RememberOurLost 

@Nebite

dogdragon1303

@Lavender- he seems to have a good reaction to bad stuff happening (untrusting and such) but since I don't know his whole story, I couldn't say exactly what I think. Sounds good from what I heard, though. I think it would be interesting to make him start liking people as he met friends and such (assuming he does) and as time goes on if he's loved and such. I don't know, you might already have that planned.

@Ceol- that would be interesting.

• Posted at:

Embyr Liz

Call me Embyr

Proud Christian!

Slytherin

Queen of Lizards

Acting the goat

crowsoul50

@ceol

”My name is Wonder Potato. You killed my hamster. Prepare to die.”

• Posted at:

ℂall me Ishmael.

Thumbnail avatar 988e11dcaa

amberpegasus203

A lot of my OCs have boatloads of issues, parents dead or alive.

The ones who don't have any families are much more unstable, though.

Yeah, a lot of superhero origin stories seem to involve the death of a parent, close friend, or family member. Maybe the creators think that's the only way that people will take their motives for heroism seriously. Who knows.

• Posted at:

Such a cruel world that we live in...

~Raven Tsakaryn~

Hello there. Don't worry, it's just me.

Just another memory in this sea of faces...

Believe.

lavenderdawn69

I haven't considered the last option. I'll use that in my story,if you don't mind.

• Posted at:

Lavender

lavenderdawn69

I'm talking to Jade,by the way.

• Posted at:

Lavender

Thumbnail avatar 9d8cdc0ffb

butterflycat1708

My first OC had her parents killed off in a war when she was about 10. Her caretaker took her to a place

where she was safe and she grew up and bla bla

But when she was almost an adult, she goes and tries to find the person who started the war and well she's got a ton of trauma but I don't really feel like saying all of that here because of mods xD

• Posted at:

✧ MONO-BIXBITE ✧

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ *:・゚✧*:・゚✧*:・゚✧

Fanfic at /309707 (WoF) and /309708 (SAMB)

THRILLS, CHILLS, KILLS!

"Hi, girl!" -Lucia Jones

lavenderdawn69

Bump!

• Posted at:

Lavender

Thumbnail avatar ab9b492b6a

sunshinerabbit77

One of my gang members has dead parents. I think I added that to her character because I needed a very strong reason for her to be extremely close to her little sister, as I already had them interacting with each other a ton. I recently did a role play where I needed to give her a strong reason to need to go home after a quest to give her strength and stuff.

But I honestly think that if used carefully it does well.

• Posted at:

Sunshine

Zip-a-dee-doo-dah, zip-a-dee-ay

My, oh, my, what a wonderful day

Plenty of sunshine headin' my way

Zip-a-dee-doo-dah, zip-a-dee-ay!

Without change there would be no butterflies...
Thumbnail avatar 63e14e39c9

eagledragon13393

My favorite OC’s parents are dead, but he lives with his uncle and cousin. His parents died when was young, but he still has nightmares. 

• Posted at:

NR.     Homeschoolers United Family. 

#Puppykilledme

#Fashionablerollingpin

#Nebite

Not everyone gets a good ending to their fairytale...

Two can keep a secret if one of them is dead. 

Ocean’s Forum Sis.  

Dab is a type of mustard. 

tricksterangel48

I have a couple of OCs I need a bit of feedback on. They’re all characters for a story, and if anybody could help me with ships, that would be nice as well. There are four or five right now (maybe six? i’m still kind of developing them, and i may or may not post certain ones for feedback)

• Posted at:

ceol

lavenderdawn69

Bump!

• Posted at:

Lavender

dogdragon1303

Feel free to keep chatting while I work on the next topic.

• Posted at:

Embyr Liz

Call me Embyr

Proud Christian!

Slytherin

Queen of Lizards

Acting the goat

tricksterangel48

Hey, can somebody give me a bit of feedback on the following OCs?

Name: Sophie Milner

Sexuality: Heteroromantic asexual

Religion: Athiest

Nationality: Canadian

Hair: Originally strawberry blonde, dyed white. Very straight (unlike me haha) and always down. Goes past shoulders.

Eyes: Brown, wide

Skin: Fair-skinned. One scar along the bottom of her left foot from a run-in with a toy train (based on real life)

Build: 5’6, 120 pounds, narrow and lithe build

Typical Clothing: Likes to wear all black; also quite likes trench coats. Not really a specific style.

Myers-Briggs Personality Type: ISFP

Extra Traits: Rather cynical; will reach out to certain people but is quite introverted and standoffish around others. Sarcastic; dark, twisted sense of humour.

Strongest Ambition: Suceeding

Greatest Fear: Failure

Other Fears: Intimacy, death, oblivion

Career Goal: Cartoonist or artist. If that doesn’t work out, then lawyer.

Interests: Law, art, electronic and punk music, mythology, crime, mystery, thrillers, horror, Twin Peaks, Stranger Things, Riverdale, photography, LGBT

Immediate Family: Ella Milner (little sister), Summer Milner (slightly older sister), Maxwell “Max” Milner (dad), Rafael “Rafe” Milner (other dad), Lilly Foster (biological mother), Kent Foster (biological father)

Pets: Monet, a brown tabby tom cat

Extra: Dads are gay if you didn’t catch that

Name: Caio Rios
Sexuality: Straight
Religion: Catholic, but isn’t really that religious
Nationality: Originally from Brazil, but moved to USA when he was four
Hair: Dark brown faux hawk
Eyes: Wide, soft brown
Skin: Tan, clear skin. One scar across his right palm. Dimples.
Build: 6’0, 141 pounds. Broad, tall build.
Typical Clothing: Plain t-shirts, ripped blue jeans, blue sneakers, grey hoodie when necessary
Myers-Briggs Personality: ENFJ
Extra Traits: Naive, broody, and easily stressed
Strongest Ambition: Make the world a better place
Greatest Fear: Betrayal
Other Fears: Spiders, heights, isolation, everybody hating him, death
Career Goal: Actor
Interests: All types of rock, grunge, and punk music. Favourite bands are Linkin Park, P!ATD, Nirvana, and Imagine Dragons. Likes fantasy and realistic fiction books. Sherlock. Supernatural, Doctor Who, The Flash, Percy Jackson and Harry Potter. Likes film and English lit.
Immediate Family: Noé Rios (little brother), Alosio Rios (little brother), Elder Rios (father), and Emilia Rios (mother)
Pets: Atlas (golden retriever, male) and Chester (named after Chester Bennington; beagle puppy, male)
Extra: nope

Name: Alwin Förstner, aka “Blitz”

Sexuality: Bisexual

Religion: Athiest

Nationality: German

Hair: Light brown, hairstyle TBD

Eyes: Almond-shaped, green

Skin: Pretty pale, no acne somehow, faded scar along his right cheek that isn’t very noticeable at first.

Build: 5’11, 146 pounds. Lanky, narrow build.

Typical Clothing: Band t-shirts, slightly baggy black jeans, and charcoal grey Converse. Light grey hoodie when needed.

Myers-Briggs Personality: INFP

Extra Traits: Extremely introverted, cynical, stubborn

Strongest Ambition: Achieve his career goal

Greatest Fear: Oblivion

Other Fears: Isolation, rejection, betrayal, intimacy, buttons (*cough*Coraline*cough)

Career Goal: Musician

Interests: All types of rock and indie music. Favourite bands are Bastille, The Script, Imagine Dragons, and Walking on Cars. He likes mystery, thriller, and realistic fiction books. Music, LGBT+, and literature/languages have always interested him. His main fandoms are Bastille, Sherlock, Supernatural, Marvel, The Script, Divergent, and Iron Fist.

Immediate Family: Edwyn Förstner (father), Holde Förstner (actual mother, deceased because i’m a cliche haha no but really more info in Extra), Fritz Förstner (little brother), Gaelle Förstner (new mum)

Pets: Sherlock (male, black lab) and Elvis (grey tabby cat, male)

Extra: His actual mother died in a car accident when he was 4 years old and Fritz was barely 1. His dad wasn’t quite as distraught as one would think, but it was because Holde (the dead wife) was actually abusive. That, of course, led to some suspicion from others as to whether or not it was actually an accident when she died, but that “died” off quickly. Barely a year later, he married Gaelle, whom he was originally seeing behind his wife’s back. 

• Posted at:

ceol

lavenderdawn69

Bump!

• Posted at:

Lavender

lavenderdawn69

Bump!

• Posted at:

Lavender

lavenderdawn69

Bump!

• Posted at:

Lavender

lavenderdawn69

Bump!

• Posted at:

Lavender

lavenderdawn69

Bump!

• Posted at:

Lavender

dogdragon1303

Sorry for the delay.

New topic: Mental illnesses in OCs.

One of my personal favorite things to discuss, OC's with mental disabilities or illnesses tend to be less unique than they once were.
I think one of the main problems that many have with creating these characters are that the people who create them are often (don't get triggered here, I'm being honest) in their edgy stage of life.
I have nothing against creating OC's with mental issues, but you should always be well informed on the illness you are giving your OC.
Having an OC with mental illnesses doesn't, despite popular belief, make your character deeper. Often it's used to make readers feel bad for the character, but that just isn't a good excuse to having that kind of an OC.
People with mental illnesses are real. Writing about someone like that isn't the same as writing about someone with supernatural powers. Supernatural powers do not exist. Mental illnesses do. You cannot add in or take out an aspect of a specific mental disease. You can't make up things about it like you can with supernatural powers.
Mental illness is not something that should be used lightly in a character. You need to be well-informed on the mental illness you are writing about. I have seen so many characters where the creators make them out to be maniac psychopathic killers who are gonna whip out a knife any second and plunge it into an innocent bystander because they are "insane."
Many try to justify this with saying that they "had a horrible, abusive past," but that usually won't cause someone to turn into a psychopathic killer. Now, different people have different breaking points, but typically the only case in which that would happen could possibly be if they were raised to think that killing others was the right thing to do or something along those lines.
It isn't "cool" to have an OC with a mental disease. It doesn't make them a special snowflake and if they have an mental illness, they shouldn't be treated as if they were special snowflakes going to blow up at any moment.
Your character should have symptoms of the illness and should not just have it suddenly show up.
(I personally don't have any OC's with mental illnesses. The closest thing I have to that is one of my character's is, to avoid having to write a super long detailed explanation, under an influence that causes him to not think rationally but it's a really long story, so just take my word for it that it isn't a mental illness, it's a bad influence, and bad influences are different than mental illnesses.)
I'll say it in summary: Mental illnesses shouldn't define your character's personality. A character should not kill someone merely because he is "insane." Do your research. Portray it correctly. Treat the OC as a normal human, because he is (so what if it's an animal or whatever you get my point.) Don't make mental illnesses look cool or edgy because they are not cool or edgy.

• Posted at:

Embyr Liz

Call me Embyr

Proud Christian!

Slytherin

Queen of Lizards

Acting the goat

lavenderdawn69

Yay,you're back!

• Posted at:

Lavender

Thumbnail avatar 64dd561ea5

lynxlynx3024

@Embyr Liz I agree it can lay very deep in your feelings if a family member suffers from it and you maybe want to let the world see how terrible it can be. I don't have a oc with a mental illness but maybe later bc I am just here on this forum(I only got like 120 stars(and that is bc of the secret star giver I think))

• Posted at:

HUGO/NEBUR/NEVA/AZER

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts

-Bertrand russell

#RememberOurLost 

@Nebite

crowsoul50

Oooh let’s do this. 

I personally hate it when people say they or their characters are insane and then have no grounds to make that claim.  People who are insane have lost the ability to see what is real and what isn’t. The definition of insane is “in a state of mind that prevents normal perception, behavior, or social interaction; seriously mentally ill.” People who are insane often cannot function in society and are institutionalized for the good of themselves and the people around them. They do not have a grip on reality and that doesn’t immediately mean that they will kill people. They may have “friends” they talk to, delusions, strange habits, etc. They do not automatically start killing people or giggling after saying creepy things and honestly are more likely to hurt themselves than others. 

• Posted at:

ℂall me Ishmael.

dogdragon1303

Bump 

• Posted at:

Embyr Liz

Call me Embyr

Proud Christian!

Slytherin

Queen of Lizards

Acting the goat

lavenderdawn69

Bump!

• Posted at:

Lavender

lavenderdawn69

Bump!

• Posted at:

Lavender