Thumbnail avatar 5d50bc1d7d

tricksterangel48

I mean, like, is it bad to have only one straight character if the book’s main focus isn’t even LGBTQ+? How many LGBT characters is too many? How many athiests can I have before it gets boring? How many characters of one nationality, even if it isn’t used that much in literature, is too many?

• Posted at:

Please tell us why you'd like to report this post

ceol

infp // libra // hufflepuff // bisexual

ill see you in the future when were older

and we are full of stories to be told

() ~remember chester bennington~

gang: dan, danny, grey [formerly dan II], aleks

Thumbnail avatar bfda67d9fe

butterflydusk36

i personally like to keep the proportions realistic 

like, if your setting was in Vermont, most of your characters would be white, just because Vermont is 95% white. however, if your setting was Mississipi, you would have way less white people, just because the percentage of white people there is 59% 

it really matters on your setting. it's the same with lgbtq+, religion, etc. try to research percentages 

• Posted at:

Ever After~

i knew a lady lost the forest for the trees

she grew a lust to bury all underneath

she cut to their heart,

she bled them dry

she kept her fire burning up to the sky

tricksterangel48

all right. i just really like having LGBT+ characters for some reason, but once in a while i go overboard and have literally only one straight character

most of the time, the majority of them are bisexual and i realise that’s probably not very realistic so

• Posted at:

ceol

Thumbnail avatar 26d845b575

rainelf13

This is a story. It doesn't exist. If you want, you can have your story consist of entirely LGBTQ+ Romanian atheists, and nobody who matters will care.

• Posted at:

Rain, Thane of Scholastica

9/25/2013 

Pokémon

JSE

Thrilling Intent

RWBY

Teratologist

Voltron

No Smarts but Hearts

Jaz|Xiang|Fenny|Ryoku|Pyro|Falco|Mei Long|Raife

We spent weeks cleaning the fun from the trees. - Karen

Thumbnail avatar 2326b9f4f5

moonlightmystery143

what ev said. if youre set on having a lot of lgbt characters in your stories, you could have the characters happen to know each other from a pride parade or some other sort of lgbt community. or, perhaps you could set it in a time period where that stuff was considered normal. for example, in ancient greece it was fairly common and wasnt considered any sort of social identifier, though that was mainly between 30something men and pubescent kids. you could either find one of those times or come up with a world similar to our own but different in their views on sexuality. or, you could write a race up where thats the standard. for example, all elves are bisexual if i remember correctly. you could write about an elf society or something with similar customs and "norms" if youre set on having a ton of lgbt characters.

if youre trying to stick to our world, though, id say a good rule of thumb is to only have maybe two or three, four if you want. try not to have everyone be gay, but try not to only have that one gay character. as they say, the only thing worse than no black friends is one black friend. avoid token characters as much as possible, for example dont write in a straight character just so you can have more straight characters. if youre in an area with a higher lgbt population, say los angeles for example, youll have a higher count of them, but its not as likely to be found or at least outwardly expressed if youre down in the bible belt. if youre in new york, youll have a lot more hispanics and black folks than youll have in other areas of new england like the aforementioned vermont. if youre in the bible belt youll have a lot more christians than atheists and in the midwest youll have a lot more germans than brits. some areas are more of melting pots with a little bit of everything and some are more homogynous. i could go on. just try and figure out where exactly this story is set in (nothing too specific, just "small town in ohio" or "on the ocean off the coast of portugal" and stuff like that) and then look into the culture and diversity-based stuff from there. just make the diversity appropriate to your worldbuilding. you wouldnt have many high-standing black people in a story set in the 1800s and you wouldnt have a million outwardly gay people in the bible belt.

• Posted at:

☾ ERIS 

WRITING MOM CAT DEALER

-my forehead is bigger than my will to live-

our hopes and expectations

black holes and revelations

we're a city of orphans

who had nowhere to go

Thumbnail avatar 78f530b99b

dancebutterfly4

Eris, That was so good

Yea, basically what everyone else said, make it a reasonable proptrion, you might want to look up national surveys or somthing? It might help with the lgbtq. 

• Posted at:

hey youngblood, doesn't it feel like our time is running out?

Thumbnail avatar 2326b9f4f5

moonlightmystery143

another thing: people of similar backgrounds tend to flock together. you can see in schools with high black/hispanic populations that there tends to be a black clique and a hispanic clique and it seems a lot of middle/high schools have the gay clique and all that. its not a thing of exclusion or anything, its just how they say, birds of a feather flock together. so if youre writing a group of friends, you can feel free to make half of them gay or most of them of a specific race/nationality. of course, there are always exceptions, hence the whole "gay friend" thing. its just that typically we tend to gravitate towards each other, even if we arent seeking out gay friends we end up in a group of gay friends and so on so forth. so, that could also be the angle youre going at. of course, that doesnt apply in the stories where people are put together by circumstance, for example theyre all caught up in this adventure or they happened to cross paths or theyre in the same school/etc. just, if theyre together by choice, feel free to alter the proportions in one direction or another.

• Posted at:

☾ ERIS 

WRITING MOM CAT DEALER

-my forehead is bigger than my will to live-

our hopes and expectations

black holes and revelations

we're a city of orphans

who had nowhere to go

tricksterangel48

oh hey rain

thanks

that was weirdly inspiring

also eris thank you for the detailed post. they’re put together randomly, and there are only five of them, so i’ll probably only have two or three LGBT+ 

• Posted at:

ceol

Thumbnail avatar b100ee1caa

butterflycandy273

interesting

• Posted at:

Hello, it's me,

Candy!

You've seen me around,

but you don't know this, do you?

That I'm a proud pansexual?

homethread /322526|story /322422|that's all!|

Thumbnail avatar 6bb2881999

crowwings29

@ceol, there is never too much diversity. 

• Posted at:

//Gem.exe\\

He/she/they

MEDIATOR INFP-T

The Accidental Child of Zeus

First born of SAMB

#Shanedeservedbetter

#Lovewins

#rememberthelost

#LGBTQ+shipper

#makeKirawsoncanon

I am a Child Of Zeus, don't mess with me or I'll electrocute you! >:D

Proportion is judged on the environment that the characters develop and live in. It also depends on how you want the story to be interpretated. 

• Posted at:

Pine

||Quote Placed Here||

||Ocs In Here||

|Flipside Name Here|

There is nothing in Here!

Thumbnail avatar ba19973bbb

pinkpuma175

Listen, if a story is set in a world of monsters and magic, a bunch of LGBTQ characters shouldn't be seen as unrealistic

Also, atheists? If the story isn't centered around religion, then that shouldn't be a problem. I read a lot of fantasy filled with religion, yet I don't complain. Also, what was the last book you read that had only one straight character? I beg of you to please tell me, I'm desperate.

• Posted at:

FrostPi

Unapologetically Queer

they/them

current interests

Portal - Skyrim-Oblivio