Thumbnail avatar 3e35008e23

strawberryfrost13

I wonder how the planner of the series came up with the Great Beasts' names?? I have ideas on a few of them:

-The Hal in Halawir could have come from the scientific name for sea eagles: Haliaeetus. (Ironically Golden Eagles aren't sea eagles. But Bald Eagles are, so it makes me wonder if Halawir was meant to be a bald eagle in the beginning, but it was changed?)

-Dinesh, according to Behindthename, is an actual Indian/Hindi(?) name, meaning "day lord".

-Jhi could have come from the Chinese word Zhi, meaning "will, purpose" or "wisdom, knowledge" (Again, according to Behindthename, so that might not be accurate.)

-Suka is an Inuit name, meaning "fast". Her name could also be based off of Siku (which is also Inuit), meaning "sea ice". 

-Kovo could come from the Swahili word Kovu, meaning "scar" (Kovu is also a character in The Lion King lol).

But the others I have to do some researching on. Don't even get me started on the human characters' names XD.

• Posted at:

Please tell us why you'd like to report this post

♕ Strawberry / Trunswicked

reptile lover (#teamkomododragon), fan artist, theorist, and forum lurker.

Thumbnail avatar ba19973bbb

pinkpuma175

I remember last year, I translated Briggan, but made it briggi. In Italian, I think, it means fight.

Ninani, according to Google Translate, means "who" in Swahilli. 

After going to alternate pronunciations of "Cabaro", I came to "curbar", meaning enemy in Romanian.

Arax is a river in Armenia.

• Posted at:

FrostPi

Unapologetically Queer

they/them

current interests

Portal - Skyrim-Oblivio

Thumbnail avatar 26d845b575

rainelf13

Tarik is a traditional African name, at least according to John Flanagan.

• Posted at:

Rain, Thane of Scholastica

9/25/2013 

Pokémon

JSE

Thrilling Intent

RWBY

Teratologist

Voltron

No Smarts but Hearts

Jaz|Xiang|Fenny|Ryoku|Pyro|Falco|Mei Long|Raife