Thumbnail avatar d173870744

jadeelf89

Hello! I recently finished the last book for Fall of the Beasts, and I thought I might write a review on it. Sorry that it's pretty long. Keep in mind there will be massive Spoilers!

The Burning Tide isn't my favorite book of the series, though it's still a good and interesting book. But there are some things that I wished could have been better.

First I'll start with the death of the Wyrm. This threat was really cool and mysterious and pretty intriguing because I had no idea what it was. But, this powerful other-worldly thing was destroyed by lava. Yep, lava. The Wyrm is so powerful and out of this world (literally), it's the very thing that created the Great Beasts, the bond between humans and spirit animals, but was destroyed by something on Earth. Lava. I didn't quite understand this, especially since Kovo had built a trap to stop the Wyrm ever since it fell to Earth. It was a magical bell and the snare was unexplainable on how it would defeat the Wyrm, so it must be pretty powerful if all of Erdas was going to unleash some mythical power to vanquish it. But this didn't work because “something got jammed”. But have no fear, luckily, there was a second bell! Good thing Kovo planned ahead, it's as if he knew the first time something would've gotten jammed. Now, I would have thought that if anyone hit the bell for it to work, they'd have to use something heavy like the special mallet Kovo had for the first bell. Apparently not, because Abeke was able to hit the bell with just an arrow shaft. That was also confusing but at least it worked. The bell causes a massive hole to open and a whirlpool of magma arises. Kovo’s snare worked, but again it was something from this earth that defeated the Wyrm. I kind of feel like maybe the Evertree could’ve done something, since it's also kind of out of this world, being magical and all. It might’ve been interesting if the Great Beasts themselves defeated the Wyrm, the very thing that made them who they are. They pretty much have some of the Wyrm’s power in them, plus the Evertree’s. This could probably make them stronger than the Wyrm and if all fifteen joined together, maybe they could’ve defeated it. But this might not work since it's clearly shown the Wyrm can have control over the Great Beasts, I guess since it practically made them. But the power of the Evertree could probably have helped.

I’ll move on to some characters now starting with Kovo. We know now after all this time that Kovo was actually the good guy and was trying to defeat the Wyrm in the first place. But we don’t really get that idea in the first series. Kovo clearly wanted the talismans for himself and wanted to rule Erdas. This is why the rest of the Great Beasts sacrificed themselves so that Kovo could not take over Erdas. If Kovo had just told them from the beginning he was actually going to destroy the Wyrm, then I’m sure the Great Beasts would have helped. Also, Kovo says he wanted the talismans- very powerful objects-to defeat the Wyrm. This would make sense, because the talismans, used to make the Staff of Cycles, are not of this earth. So Kovo knew he needed something mystical to defeat the Wyrm. Not lava, unless it was some magic lava.

Okay if Kovo really wanted to defeat the Wyrm and was gathering all the talismans, what did Gerathon want? What was she gaining by helping Kovo in the first series? She didn’t know he was going to defeat the Wyrm because in The Burning Tide Kovo clearly states he alone has been trying to defeat the Wyrm. Maybe Gerathon was tricked by Kovo into thinking she would rule the world? I think Gerathon is more clever than that. She’s the one who invented the Bile for her own purposes, I feel like maybe she would be the one to cross Kovo. She’s more scarier than him in my opinion! Which makes her a cool villain.

Let’s go to who may be the hero in The Burning Tide: Zerif. He’s kind of the one who defeated the Wyrm by flinging himself in the lava. Personally, I think he shouldn't have died. He was struggling in the end with the Wyrm and it seemed like Zerif is actually a good person. Kind of. He’s just really messed up. Throughout both series Zerif has been used by some kind of evil. In the first series it was the Bile, and in this series it's the Wyrm. I kind of think it's been unfair for him and that there may be more to Zerif than we know. I keep getting the feeling that he could’ve been part of something greater and that he deserved better. I know a lot of people might disagree with that, but Zerif has been deceived and used twice. In my opinion, he should’ve had a more purposeful role rather than being a puppet again. It's a little sad and I pity him quite a bit.

Speaking of deaths, let’s go to Shane. As much as I liked that he died (so many people are going to hate that) I feel like it was unnecessary. It was also a very quick death, making it seem like no big deal and not very important. But I also think Shane had a greater purpose too. He's the king of Stetriol. He might’ve redeemed himself further by, after this war was over, going to Stetriol and doing a lot more helpful things, like thinking of the Redcloaks which are pretty cool.

Speaking of Redcloaks, let's go to one person who also wanted to redeem himself: Devin Trunswick. We know that after the Bile was destroyed, spirit animals that had been controlled by the Bile either ran away or attacked their human partners. These spirit animals must have included the ones that were forced to bond with a human(those that never called any spirit animal after drinking the Nectar of Ninani). Devin was one of those people who never bonded with an animal but forced one to bond with him with the use of the Bile. And what kind of animal did he bond to? A black wildcat which I'm guessing is a black panther. We all know of the prophecy and legend Devin had pretended to be. A boy from a prophecy was destined to summon and bond with a black wildcat and save the North from destruction. That boy was Finn Cooley. I don't know why, after the Bile was destroyed, Devin still had Elda, his black wildcat, even though she was forced to bond with him. She wasn't a real spirit animal since Devin never called one, so after the war in the first series she should’ve just become free of the hold of the bond and become a regular wildcat. Shane had said that some people couldn't get their spirit animal out of its passive state and that's how it became a part of them. I get it if it happened with Shane, but not with Devin. He never had an actual spirit animal and so even if Elda was in passive state, the hold of the bile still should have broken for her. And, if Devin keeps Elda, it ruins the prophecy for Finn! Finn is the big legend with the black panther, not Devin!

While I’m on the subject of wildcats, let’s move on to Cabaro and Kirat. Kirat was as much of a coward as Cabaro was, but after getting scolded by Rollan he immediately changed character on the spot. All of a sudden, he knows what to do, had a change of heart, became brave, and basically lived up to Tarik. It was so random and all of a sudden. How did Kirat change so quickly? A lot of people scolded him but he was always a chicken and a stubborn, spoiled kid. But I guess in the middle of a war, people can change in an instant right? It’s a little funny how Cabaro came out of his passive state the moment Kirat had supposedly changed. Cabaro was also a coward, he still kind of is, but he’s one of my favorite Great Beasts.

Here's another character I want to talk about. Yumaris. Whoa what happened to her? She's one of the people, like Shane, who couldn't get their spirit animal out of passive state. She's nuts but helpful and a little funny. She thinks she's an earthworm and her senses are extremely strong. Earthworms can feel the vibrations in the earth so Yumaris could too. That's how the Redcloaks were able to know where Rollan and Abeke were to save their necks. But last time I checked, Abeke and Rollan had to sail to get to the Molten Ruins. Is Yumaris’ powers so great they can feel the vibration in the ocean? Maybe the Redcloaks and her weren't in the Molten Ruins at the time. That would probably make more sense.

What doesn't make too much sense to me is Takoda and Xanthe’s relationship. It seemed a bit unrealistic. They're around 12 years old I think. But you never know what a time of war can do to you. You know, I wonder why no one in Sadre summoned any of the Great Beasts...

Well that's my review of The Burning Tide, I may have just pointed out what confused me instead of actually reviewing it. And I might have missed a few things because I can't exactly remember all the events in Spirit Animals so I may have gotten some things wrong. But I gotta say, I love this book because there's so much to talk about! If I remember any more things I forgot to say I will post them. And you guys can post your reviews here too!

• Posted at:

Please tell us why you'd like to report this post

Thumbnail avatar 1a4d747303

dancebutterfly4

This is a really good review!

• Posted at:

hey youngblood, doesn't it feel like our time is running out?

jadeelf89

Thanks! :)

• Posted at:

Thumbnail avatar 877756c5e9

fairywolf652

Good review and am I the only one who thinks the redcloaks were pretty much stalking Erdas 

• Posted at:

GOTTA CATCH EM ALL POKEMON !

WINGS OF FIRE !

ARTEMIS RULES !

aa HUFFLEPUFF !

The legend of ZELDA rules! 

"Always "

Peace and equality 

Call Me FAIRY

jadeelf89

Haha guess they were sort of like stalkers 

• Posted at:

Thumbnail avatar a5699c33b5

pizzaruby95

I'll just correct one thing

In the Book of Shane it explained that Shane DIDN'T have a natural bond, it was forced just like Devin and Elda. It was like that for all Redcloaks

Please don't take offence. That was just bothering me.

And Devin can't release Elda and is pretty much turning into her

• Posted at:

Solangelo

Pizza Mirima Historia

Just a Random Redcloak

Hunter of Artemis, Daughter of Hades

Bounty Hunter, Hunteress, Junsong Warrior

Queen of Loneliness+

"I don't need people to help me grow up, I drink milk"~Ruby Rose (RWBY)

EVER=TWIN

#Tempa

RWBY

Dyslexic

jadeelf89

None taken, thanks for correcting me I knew I'd gotten something wrong. Still devin having a panther isn't fair for Finn. 

• Posted at:

Thumbnail avatar a5699c33b5

pizzaruby95

He only has the tattoo. I think Elda disappeared from existence. So Finn is still the only one in the series with a panther.

• Posted at:

Solangelo

Pizza Mirima Historia

Just a Random Redcloak

Hunter of Artemis, Daughter of Hades

Bounty Hunter, Hunteress, Junsong Warrior

Queen of Loneliness+

"I don't need people to help me grow up, I drink milk"~Ruby Rose (RWBY)

EVER=TWIN

#Tempa

RWBY

Dyslexic

Thumbnail avatar a10d52b252

skyscraperarrow12

speaking of panthers and Worthy... um... in FOTB #5 something happens to Worthy and it's because of panther, bad or good... depends on how you see the situation...

• Posted at:

Destiny, Mai, Meanie, Dune, or Mina

Rem:Scarlet/Soul

?WHO AM I REALLY?

A Warrior?

A Seeker?

A Fighter?

A Greencloak?

A Hero?

A Musician?

A Reader?

A Survivor?

A Challenger?

A Normal Girl?

A Human?

Turns out...

I'm all of them

And that's who I will always be...  

Thumbnail avatar 1a4d747303

dancebutterfly4

TELLL MME

• Posted at:

hey youngblood, doesn't it feel like our time is running out?

jadeelf89

Devin does have the tattoo like Shane and is also becoming like the panther like Shane is becoming like his  spirit animal. Devin has the cat eyes from Elda so she isn't completely out of existence. Weird.

• Posted at:

jadeelf89

Skyscraperarrow there's a book 5 for FOTB? I thought the series finished.

• Posted at:

Thumbnail avatar a10d52b252

skyscraperarrow12

oh no, there's more to the series, 4 more books... 6th book is called The Wildcat's Claw, cover is out too 5th book coming out next week on Tuesday, it's called Heart of the Land, i have written first 2 chapters of it on /265594

• Posted at:

Destiny, Mai, Meanie, Dune, or Mina

Rem:Scarlet/Soul

?WHO AM I REALLY?

A Warrior?

A Seeker?

A Fighter?

A Greencloak?

A Hero?

A Musician?

A Reader?

A Survivor?

A Challenger?

A Normal Girl?

A Human?

Turns out...

I'm all of them

And that's who I will always be...  

Awesome book review!

• Posted at:

ADMIN KEITH F

jadeelf89

Skyscraperarrow - Cool! I'll check it out!

King Keith - Thanks!

• Posted at:

Thumbnail avatar 199f0d7f64

galaxyleprechaun45

GREAT BOOK REVIEW!  NOW THE THE HEART OF THE LAND IS OUT! YAH!!!!!

• Posted at:

I'M A CHRISTIAN

Proverbs 3:5-6, Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanting; in all your ways submit to him and he will make your paths straight.

Call me Galaxy

jadeelf89

Wow it looks awesome!!

• Posted at:

Thumbnail avatar 877756c5e9

fairywolf652

Do you rate books on Goodreads ? 

• Posted at:

GOTTA CATCH EM ALL POKEMON !

WINGS OF FIRE !

ARTEMIS RULES !

aa HUFFLEPUFF !

The legend of ZELDA rules! 

"Always "

Peace and equality 

Call Me FAIRY

Thumbnail avatar e7f1e7d714

topazhamster42

It's not that Elda is out of exhistance, it's that she's merged into Devin like Shane's crocodile did to him.

• Posted at:

~Topaz

The world's not falling apart, its falling into place. We see only a few pieces of the puzzle while the creator sees them all.

✧Proud Christian✧

#Remember the Lost

#Moresigspace

Jade = twin

乐!

[No longer active. Will return one day]

jadeelf89

Fairywolf - no I don't 

Topazhamster - maybe that happened because their spirit animals were forced?

• Posted at: