Thumbnail avatar 0ce82b8298

nightwings371

*What the title says*

Ok, so you can also see this on Wattpad...but I'm going to post it here too, because I can't actually go to Wattpad right now.

I'll post the summary later....

~ Skyheart

• Posted at:

Please tell us why you'd like to report this post

~~~Skyheart~~~

A SilverWing

A Gryffindor

Skypaw

A Capricorn

////////////////////////

"Loyalty is what matters most."~Anonymous

"It's sort of exciting,isn't it?Breaking the rules."~Hermione Granger

"Expecto Patronus!"

Thumbnail avatar fab96fe700

breezemagic7

Ooh, what's your user? I'll follow you, and look into it!

• Posted at:

Faith

~Carpe Diem~

Queen of wolves and ravens

Owner of the Sparkwings

"If I don't show it, doesn't mean I don't feel it"

"Normal people have no idea how beautiful the darkness is..."

No longer active anymore, please remember me

nightwings371

Uh.....I think you know. :)

• Posted at:

~~~Skyheart~~~

A SilverWing

A Gryffindor

Skypaw

A Capricorn

////////////////////////

"Expecto Patronus!"

nightwings371

Prologue

He trotted briskly down the hallway towards his office, a briefcase held in his right hand.

"Hello. Glad to see you again, huh?" The man's colleague/partner, James Wayner greeted him as he stepped into the office, swivelling around in the man's office chair, hands neatly clasped and lying on his lap.

"James. What brings you here today?"The man asked mildly, placing the briefcase on his desktop with a soft thud. "Say what you came here to say, please. I have no time to entertain you."

James blinked. "Are you done with the prototypes?" he asked softly.

The man smiled wanly. "They're all done," he replied, gesturing towards the briefcase. "Why are you asking?"

James nodded approvingly. "We've almost rounded up the candidates," he explained, at the man's blank look.

Hearing that, the man froze, looking at James accusingly. "You didn't tell me about any candidates!" he said numbly. "Why do you want to test the prototypes? Results on animals injected with the prototypes have been positive; there's no need to test it again—and test it on humans?" he added furiously. "That's outrageous!"

James sighed. "And I thought that you out of all people would understand why we're doing this. If we succeed, the human race would get even stronger!" As he talked, he passed a piece of paper full of names to the man, who took it hesitantly.

The man's eyes scanned the long list; his eyes narrowed as he took in the names. "I know some of them," he said suspiciously. "And from what I know, they're all younger than 1 years old." Suddenly, something dawned on him. "Are you using all of the one-year olds or those that are even younger in the city to test the prototypes on?" he said breathlessly, fear washing over him like a huge wave.

James grinned. "Oh, yes," he replied. "We feel that the virus would need younger hosts in order for it to be able to live and thrive in the body, mutating the host's body perfectly."

"But......." The man hesitated, unable to go on. Steeling himself, he continued. "You mean all of those younger than one or one years old now-- "

James interrupted his bluster. "Let's just get straight to it, please—I know what you're trying to say. And here's my answer for you: Yes, all of them. Including your daughter, I believe."

Hearing that, the man's face paled. "But—why?" he stuttered. "I don't want my daughter to be—to be a mutant!" he was yelling now, angry at James, who was smiling serenely at him. "You will not harm even one hair of my daughter!"

James laughed—a sick sound to the man now. "Oh, you wouldn't actually do that. You know the consequences of defying the Eye—although I must say, I admire your willingness to do anything to protect your family."

The man was just about to snap back but took in James' words and hesitated, his chest heaving. What James just said had a ring of truth to it. In fact, all of it was. His eyes darkened as he thought of what could—and would, he was sure—if he didn't do as the Eye wanted him to. My wife dead, daughter dead, my house in ruins—and much, much more, he thought bleakly.

As he was too deep in his thoughts, he startled when James stood up abruptly. "Well, I'll leave you to your thoughts for now," he announced, "I'll be taking this with me-" as he said that, he took the briefcase from the table-"And just to let you know, you'll have to bring your daughter here to take the injection soon, so be prepared to receive our notification." After saying that, he swept out of the room, closing the office door behind him, leaving the man staring blankly at the wall opposite him.

After what seemed like hours, contemplating the odds in his mind, the man sighed. It was for certain—if he did not give up his daughter for the experiment, he would suffer much more that if he did so. Standing up and brushing himself, as the man prepared himself to go out of the office—he had to go and meet someone now—a small part of him couldn't help thinking: Was it worth it?His daughter would find out about this when she was older, he thought wearily. And young as she was, she was already showing signs of her fiery temper and stubbornness—just like him. But he couldn't not give her up for the experiment, he realized. Far worse things would happen if he didn't act as the Eye expected him to, he repeated to himself mentally, as he strode out of the door, straightening his tie.

Far worse things if I don't do this, he repeated again in his mind, as he walked back down the hall. I'm sorry, my daughter. I'm really sorry.

• Posted at:

~~~Skyheart~~~

A SilverWing

A Gryffindor

Skypaw

A Capricorn

////////////////////////

"Expecto Patronus!"

Thumbnail avatar 868f6a933b

cobrapanther473

My wattpad user is easy. *glances at username*

• Posted at:

Daisy

Gang

Daisy, Goldenrod, Frost, Tamaki, Ak'wan, Aventine, Erik, Devin, Waren, Elliot, Chloe, Frost Knight

nightwings371

OMG forgot to put italics

• Posted at:

~~~Skyheart~~~

A SilverWing

A Gryffindor

Skypaw

A Capricorn

////////////////////////

"Expecto Patronus!"

Thumbnail avatar fab96fe700

breezemagic7

SKYPOOL!?!?!?!?! How did I not realize that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

• Posted at:

Faith

~Carpe Diem~

Queen of wolves and ravens

Owner of the Sparkwings

"If I don't show it, doesn't mean I don't feel it"

"Normal people have no idea how beautiful the darkness is..."

No longer active anymore, please remember me

nightwings371

:)

• Posted at:

~~~Skyheart~~~

A SilverWing

A Gryffindor

Skypaw

A Capricorn

////////////////////////

"Expecto Patronus!"

nightwings371

Ringggg! An alarm clock rang shrilly in a small apartment in a small town in Chicago, breaking the silence of the chilly Saturday dawn. A half-asleep Fawn Walters groaned from her bed and reached out a hand from her current position to switch off the alarm clock, which was on her bedside table.

Much to Fawn's relief, the annoying alarm clock stopped making that shrill ringing. Rolling over, Fawn tried to close her eyes again, hoping that she would be able to slip back into sleep—she didn't want to wake up—but she gave up when she couldn't do so. Her mind was still in shock from the sudden sound to be able to relax and go back to sleep.

Sighing ruefully, she sat up and slid off the bed, stretching and yawning. Maybe she could go take a walk in the park—ooh, that sounded good—

She yelped in surprise as the ringing started again, only this time it was different. She turned in the direction of the sound and saw her new iPhone vibrating. Ugh. She silently fumed. Why didn't I change the default tone? Fawn's ears were very sensitive to high-pitched noises (ringtones included) and apart from that, Fawn had eyes that could apparently see further than an average human could. But no one knew about her abnormalities, except for her father, who had told Fawn that she couldn't reveal it to anyone. Wincing, she grabbed the phone and pressed the button, half wanting to shut the phone up and half wanting to know who had called her at this point of time—she hadn't saved any numbers in her contacts yet, so she couldn't know who had called by just looking at the screen for the name.

"Hello?" She spoke into the phone, and the voice that answered her made her heart leap.

"Hello, Fawn." it said.

"Dad?" She breathed, her spirits brightening. She was pretty sure that that was him. Her father. "How are you doing, Dad? Are you coming home today?" Ryan Walters hardly came home or communicated with her in any way as he was always too busy running around the world to do business matters for his company. 

There was a trace of regret in her father's affectionate tone now. "I'm sorry, Fawn, but I'm busy. I still have a lot of things to finish."

Hearing that, Fawn couldn't keep the disappointment that she felt out of her tone. "Oh. I see." she mumbled, then added hopefully, "Are you coming home soon, then?"

"Probably the week after next," her father replied apologetically, then added curiously. "Why?"

"Uh...." Fawn said, embarrassed. " I was kind of hoping that you would be here with me when I take the injection," she admitted.

The injection was the second injection that she had to take to prevent her from catching a disease (according to her father) that was supposedly 'highly contagious'. Even though Fawn knew that she was already 12 years old and should be old enough to not  be afraid of the injection process and to be able to endure the vaccine's side effects, which included her eyes and ears having a burning-like sensation that she faintly remembered when she was one, on the day of the first injection, she couldn't help shuddering at the thought of the painful effects.

"The injection? It's today, right?" Her father's tone changed abruptly, and Fawn winced. She should've remembered to not even bring up a hint about the injection. Her father would always turn cold and reserved whenever the topic was mentioned.

"Yeah," Fawn said hurriedly. "But since you can't accompany me, just forget it. It's okay really." she fibbed, knowing that that wasn't true, but she just wanted to change the subject.

Her father sighed. "Look," he said abruptly, making Fawn's heart sink even more. " I have to go now, okay? I'll try to call again soon." As soon as he spoke the last word, there was a crackling sound, then silence.

"Dad?" Fawn tried, but he had already hung up on her. Sadly, she placed the phone back on her table, then walked out of the bedroom, trudging out into the living room.

The first thing that greeted her was the sight of her younger sister, Cora, sitting at the dining table and munching contentedly on her breakfast cereal. When she saw Fawn, she perked up. "Hey, Fawn!" she said cheerfully. "Why're you up so early? Mum just left about ten minutes ago," she added helpfully, as Fawn looked around.

"Injection an hour from now," Fawn said glumly, sitting down beside Cora. "You're lucky you don't have to take that kind of injections--you're immune to the disease. Your ears and eyes won't have to go through unexplainable torture." she grumped at Cora. "I wish I was immune to that disease."

Cora looked sympathetically at Fawn. "I'm sorry for you. Anyway, I thought that the side effects of that vaccine were your eyes and head not your ears hurting so badly you couldn't think or do anything? Kayla said so," she asked.

Kayla was one of Fawn's best friends and neighbors. She was also prone to that disease and, like Fawn, had to take the injections. " Huh. Maybe the vaccines side effects on everyone are different," Fawn mused distractedly, her mind as usual drifting off fro the conversation that she classified as " boring". Then she thought of something, and looked at Cora belatedly. " How come Kayla never told me about that?"

Cora rolled her eyes, stuffing a spoonful of cereal inside her mouth. " Maybe you didn't bother to ask her." she offered, through a mouthful of cereal.

But before Fawn could say anything, her phone alarm rang shrilly, interrupting their conversation---and making Fawn ears ring. " Ugh, " she said ruefully. " Time to go."

" Are you sure you don't want to grab something to eat?" Cora asked concernedly.

" Nah," Fawn yelled, as she bolted away into her room to pack and shut the noise off. " Tell Mum when she comes home from work that I might be back home late." she added, as she switched the phone's ringtone--- the default one was annoying her--- and slung a backpack over her shoulder. Then made a dash for the door. " See you tonight!" she yelled over her shoulder, as she yanked open the door and sprinted out to where Kayla was waiting by the fence for her.

• Posted at:

~~~Skyheart~~~

A SilverWing

A Gryffindor

Skypaw

A Capricorn

////////////////////////

"Expecto Patronus!"

nightwings371

Chapter 2:

" Hey Fawn." Kayla said cheerfully as Fawn approached her, panting slightly at the sudden sprint. " We're supposed to go to the big, gray building, right?"

Kayla was a girl,  who was about the same height as Fawn, and had the same skin tone and dark brown hair, but unlike Fawn's startling blue eyes, hers were a calm green. " Right, " said Fawn lightly, trying to hide how even an indirect mention of the injection freaked her out ( the part where she called her father was different; she was appealing for company, not actually thinking about it. Okay, fine. She was thinking about it, and she had freaked out. Ugh.) Also trying to hide how flustered she felt at the discovery of her being such a crybaby(Mentally. Maybe, maybe not. Actually, now that she thought about it, she bet people would also freak out at the thought of an injection which had torturous side effects) , she checked her watch. " Maybe we should set off now ---we need at least thirty minutes to get there, and we only have slightly lesser that forty-five minutes. So , unless you want to chat idly down here for fifteen minutes and rush for the journey there, you're welcome." she teased half-heartedly.

Kayla rolled her eyes skeptically. " Alright, alright. Let's go, okay?" she nudged Fawn teasingly. " Are you scared about the injection?"

Fawn froze. " Why--why are you asking me about that?" she said haltingly, looking at Kayla uncertainly.

Kayla's expression softened. " Don't worry, Fawn. Just look at the bright side. Would you rather take the injection and go a day with great pains, or would you not take the injection and be at risk of a highly dangerous disease and if you do catch it, risk dying in pain?"

Fawn hesitate, replaying Kayla's words in her mind. " Huh." she finally said. " That makes sense. Now I rather take the injection rather than be at risk of catching the disease." Some of her fear subsided, and she found herself grinning at Kayla, who grinned back her.

Kayla took Fawn's hand. " Let's go!" she yelled, breaking into a run---and dragging Fawn with her.

" Hey!" Fawn protested, but she couldn't keep the grin off her face, even as they raced towards their destination---a tall building in the distance that looked menacing( to Fawn. She wasn't sure how Kayla felt when she looked at the building), and the fact that they were heading to a place that Fawn still didn't like.

***

" Wow." It was all Kayla could say as the two girls stared in awe and disgust at the building looming over them.

" I can't believe we came here once. I can't even remember going inside the building---" Fawn started, then winced as memories flashed in her mind. " --- I can only remember that weird guy giving me that injection. " she finished glumly.

Kayla nudged Fawn with her shoulder. " Hey, don't look so moody. You're not the only one with bad memories of this place, okay? We're suffering with you too." she half-joked. half-assured Fawn.

Fawn took a deep breath, forcing a smile to her face. " Nah, I'm alright." she hesitated, then continued. " Never thought I'd be saying this. Let's go inside." she said.

Kayla grinned at Fawn. " Never thought I'd hear you say that. Come on!" she crowed, grabbing Fawn(again) and dragging her along as she walked to the metal doors.

Once they had reached the doors, Kayla looked  around. " Strange ." she wondered out loud. " Where's everyone? Where's the person leading us insid--- Whoa!" she yelped as there was a hissing sound to their right.

Startled, Fawn's eyes darted to the right, then she gasped. What was once, part of the wall of the building that was next to them was gone, leaving a square-shaped hole in the middle of the wall, a glass panel taking the place of the square-shaped block. And there was a woman staring back at them.

• Posted at:

~~~Skyheart~~~

A SilverWing

A Gryffindor

Skypaw

A Capricorn

////////////////////////

"Expecto Patronus!"

nightwings371

Noooo is this dying?

• Posted at:

~~~Skyheart~~~

A SilverWing

A Gryffindor

Skypaw

A Capricorn

////////////////////////

"Expecto Patronus!"

nightwings371

AAAAAH

• Posted at:

~~~Skyheart~~~

A SilverWing

A Gryffindor

Skypaw

A Capricorn

////////////////////////

"Expecto Patronus!"

nightwings371

Chapter 3

" Ahh!" Fawn yelled, jumping back in shock--- and crashing into Kayla, who was standing behind her, having scrambled back a second before her.

The woman sighed. " Always surprise written all over your faces," she grumbled. " Honestly, haven't you people seen this kind of things in the city before?"

Fawn opened her mouth to retort, but Kayla beat her to it. " It's not our fault," she defended them. " Our school doesn't have this kind of stuff, and we haven't seen anything like that in the city too. Your company must be very high-tech, to have this kind of technology." she said enviously.

The woman's annoyed gaze softened. " So it's like that," she mumbled. " Okay, I'll let that pass. What are you doing her, anyway?"

Fawn cleared her throat. " We're here for the, uhh... injection." she offered weakly.

She expected the woman to just nod and let them enter the building, but instead, the woman froze for a split-second--- any normal person without sharp eyesight wouldn't have seen it--- but Fawn thought she saw something flash in the woman's eyes. What's she up to. Or afraid of? she wondered, but had no time to ponder over the matter, for the woman quickly regained herself and smiled a little too stiffly at them, " Oh, the injection?" she asked briskly, the without waiting for an answer,  she added, " Let's get you in quickly for your injections, I heard that the first injection's effects should have worn off on the day of the second one. " With that, she ducked down, and disappeared. After a while, there was the faint hissing sound again, and Fawn turned left just in time to see a huge piece of the wall revolve and slide to one side, revealing a doorway--- and the woman, standing at the entrance, holding a clipboard to her chest.

" Come in." she said, and beckoned for the two girls to follow her a s she spun around and in the high heels that she was wearing, clip-clopped briskly down the white hallway, not bothering to look back to check if fawn and Kayla were following her. Feeling more nervous as the injection loomed ever closer, she flashed a panicked look at Kayla, who smirked back in return, but could not hide the tenseness of her body as she looked away from Fawn and back apprehensively at the woman, who was drawing further away from them. Then, as if they had the same mind and body, the two girls hurried towards the woman in unison, not wanting to lag behind.

***

" Here we are." the woman finally announced, after leading the girls through a series of turns and hallways similar to the first one, as the trio arrived at a white door that was similar to all the doors that Fawn had just passed, apart from a sign that said " Dangerous, Authorized Access Only". As she watched, the woman raise a fist and knocked on the door crisply. " James?" she called. " You in there?"

After a heartbeat or two, there was a faint noise that Fawn's sensitive ears could pick up, and the door opened a crack. A green eye peered out, followed by a face that was obviously a man's. The man--- James--- had blonde hair and a crooked smile plastered to his lips. His eyes scanned the surroundings, then landed on the three people in front of him. His sharp gaze raked Fawn's gaze, and she flinched. She could still feel Kayla's side pressed against hers--- her friend's tenseness grew and showed in the curling of her hands into fists, as the man looked over her, then nodded approvingly, and turned to the woman, who was patiently waiting for the man to finish assessing them. " So Cora."he said, " Are those the people who---"

" Are here to take the injection? Yes." Cora replied, then turned to look at the two girls. " I'm going to leave you in the hands of James now, okay?" she said briskly, but Fawn was too shocked to answer her. Cora. The woman had the same name as her sister...

" Hey." she started as James snapped his fingers sharply in front of her face. " Are you coming or not?"

With a quick glance around her surroundings, Fawn realized that Kayla had gone into the room, while James opened the door wider for her to be able to go in. The woman was now stalking away in the direction where they had come from. Trying to push away the startling discovery and focus on the present matters, she eyed James warily, contemplating on whether to go in or not. 

Seeing her wary look, James laughed. " The injection will be fast , hon. We did an improved version from the other one you took. I assure you that you won't have any side  effects." he paused, then opened the door a bit wider from where it had been in it its previous position, revealing Kayla, who was standing  a short distance behind James, crossing her arms and looking at Fawn expectantly, obviously waiting for her to come in. Fawn took the chance to study the room. It was totally empty, apart from a bench at a corner and a water dispenser at the bench's side. She was interrupted from her observations by James, who cleared his throat, then swept his arm in the direction of the room, smiling pleasantly. " Well?" he asked. " Are you going to take forever to step into this room?"

***

" Okay. First things first." James started, as Fawn and Kayla settled on the bench, and he started to pace around, rubbing his hands together. " I'll need to take attendance, to confirm that you were here and have taken the injection." he continued, now walking towards them, clipboard and pen in hand. " Young lady, what's your name?" he asked cheerfully, pointing his pen at Kayla, who stared stonily at him, her arms still folded.

" Kayla," Kayla muttered at last after a minute or two of glaring at James, who still kept his smile plastered to his face throughout the entire time. " Kayla Jones."

"Kayla... okay." James muttered as his eyes scanned the long list of names on his clipboard, then wrote down some markings on the paper. " What about you? " he turned to Fawn, his green eyes boring into her.

Fawn sighed. She just wanted to get it done and over with. " Fawn Walters." she replied grudgingly, looking down at her sneakers in order to avoid James piercing gaze.

James nodded once, his face expressionless now, then made some more markings on the paper, and looked up at Kayla. " Kayla," he said evenly. " I'm going to bring you to another room to take the injection. Fawn, " he continued, turning to look at Fawn, who looked up at the mention of her name. " You're going to have to wait her, okay?" he said, phrasing it as a question, but Fawn knew it wasn't a question. It was an order.

Biting her lip, Fawn turned her head to look at Kayla, who shrugged grimly, seeming to say, Just get on with it, huh?

Fawn sighed again. Although she disliked the idea of being in here alone, she agreed with Kayla. " Okay." she replied, turning her gaze from Kayla to James. Kayla stood up as Fawn finished speaking, and walked stiffly to James, who patted her on her shoulder. " It's gonna be alright." he said comfortingly. " Don't worry."

At that, as James started to lead Kayla to the only other white door. ( Apart from the main door), Kayla turned to roll her eyes at Fawn, seeming to say again in a sarcastic tone this time, See? Told you it'll be fine.

Despite her building nervousness, Fawn couldn't help smiling at Kayla's expression, even as the door closed with a gentle thud, leaving  Fawn alone in this unfamiliar white room.

***

" Fawn." After what seemed like hours, a soft voice finally called her name as she sat there on the bench, deep in her thoughts of what she was going to do after this. She quickly jerked her head up, and saw James peering out of the corner of the white door that Kayla went through just now. Once he had gotten Fawn's attention, James beckoned to Fawn. " They're ready for you." he told her.

The bubble of calmness around her when she was deep in her thoughts suddenly broke, and Fawn felt waves of fear washing through her.

No, she thought fiercely, pushing the fear away. I can do this. Kayla did it, and she's probably waiting for me outside. Standing up, she walked briskly and decisively over to James, but she couldn't help asking as she stopped beside him, " Are you sure it's okay? Where's Kayla?"

James looked down at her, his green eyes glimmering with amusement. " Kayla's waiting for you outside ---" Thank goodness, Fawn thought,relieved. " ---and yes, I'm sure it's okay. People have come before you, and they have no negative side effects. So," he added questioningly. " Are you ready?"

Fawn took a deep breath, calming herself. " I'm okay."

James grinned comfortingly at her. " Then let's go." he said, and opened the door wide, stepping back fully into the room.

Readying herself for whatever that might be in there, Fawn took another deep breath ---and stepped into the room.

• Posted at:

~~~Skyheart~~~

A SilverWing

A Gryffindor

Skypaw

A Capricorn

////////////////////////

"Expecto Patronus!"