I love doing the occasional focus on a character -- it’s really interesting to see what you all find interesting about someone -- and I thought it’d be fun to talk about Meilin this week. What do you love about her? What annoys you?

And I’m curious -- SPOILERS ahead for Against the Tide..

....were you surprised way back when you found out she drank the Bile?

• Posted at:

Please tell us why you'd like to report this post

Currently inactive but counting down the days till....

Wings of Fire Book #12: The Hive Queen (December 26, 2018!!!)!

Thumbnail avatar e7f1e7d714

topazhamster42

First!

no, I wasn't that surprised

• Posted at:

~Topaz

The world's not falling apart, its falling into place. We see only a few pieces of the puzzle while the creator sees them all.

✧Proud Christian✧

#Remember the Lost

#Moresigspace

Jade = twin

乐!

[No longer active. Will return one day]

Character placeholder thumbnail

redring41

I was so surprised. I hated Meilin for quite a bit until she defended the redcloaks that one time. I also think that she deserves a better friend than Kana....duh

• Posted at:

#Shanedeservedbetter

#Shanelovedhermore

I am tspig 

Thumbnail avatar 72765ca462

keylock56

Meilin is my absolute favorite! (Second to Ben Parish, of course.) She's smart and she's a strong woman. I think she's a good example for little girls, but she's really stubborn, so that's annoying. 

• Posted at:

°༄ೃ[ᴇs]

ᴀᴘᴏʟʟᴏ's sᴜɴ ᴀʙᴏᴠᴇ P̲A̲R̲I̲S̲

ᴜs ʀɪᴅɪɴɢ B̲I̲K̲E̲S̲  ᴀʀᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴛʜᴇ ᴄɪᴛʏ

ɪɴ S̲E̲P̲T̲E̲M̲B̲E̲R̲

ISFP/HUFFLEPUFF

TAURUS/PAINTER

No language, just sound, that's all we need to kno    

To synchronize love to the beat of the show  

Thumbnail avatar ef6dce8d59

airportwinter35

It was strange that Meilin's nectar was bitter. I didn't that much surprised for Bile, but I shocked with Kana.

• Posted at:

t Jacob (major and mostly used) t

Anything interesting

Stay Calm, Study Yourself, Stop Wasting Time.

These are all 'St process of life. 

Thumbnail avatar 9cc3c1c859

dogtree29

Ahh Meilin is my absolute favorite character in the entire series, I started to love her ever since her first chapter in Wild Born.

When I first read it, I was so surprised she drank the Bile, I had to reread her "Nectar" Ceremony scene to make sure! That scene was so heartbreaking for me, I cry almost every time I read that scene.

Speaking of the Bile, I really like how caring she was for Conor when he was infected with the Wyrm and how she was able to use her past experience with Bile to help Conor get through his dilemma. In general, I love that Meilin always takes care of her spirit animal Jhi, Conor, Abeke, and Rollan and makes sure they are always okay. Her relationships with the rest of the group and how much they have grown from being with each other is amazing. Sometimes she can be quick to act, but she always does it with the best intentions. 

Also, Meilin is amazing at combat, I love how she can dominate almost everytime she is put into-- she doesn't let anyone stop her and I think that is great :D

In general, Meilin is amazing and I can't wait to see more of her in the next book!

• Posted at:

Greencloak

Hufflepuff

Rainbow Seeker

Nature Wanderer 

Fangirl

Thumbnail avatar 8cd620f173

icedragon791

I was also surprised to read that she drank the Bile. In another way, it's kind of cruel but just irony because she was being distrustful of the others, and more towards Abeke especially.

If I can point out another flaw, I never liked how she was a bit disappointed in summoning Jhi because she wanted something fiercer (you're lucky you got a spirit at all, and it's even a Great Beast, so be happy!). The good thing though is that Jhi never stops loving Meilin (Jhi is the best spirit animal!) and their bond has only grown stronger with time.

At the end of the day, while the honor of my favorite hero goes to the falcon master, Meilin competes at second place. She gets much wiser and compassionate with time, but she's always been strong and dedicated to doing what she believes is right.

• Posted at:

-Paladin-

*✧ Fighting Evil by Moonlight - Winning Love by Daylight ✧*

(Your shy little gamer and book-nerd) - [Proud Catholic]

"I'll find some really deep quote to put here someday."

Sorry in advance for any long essays.

And I'm out!

Aw man, I didn't get to that part yet... Oops...

• Posted at:

Thumbnail avatar 2ce3cde1a6

mummycat42

I was not at all surprised. Well,maybe a little...

• Posted at:

I am a greencloak

A demigod daughter of Hades

Magician of the house of life

A host of bast

Keeper

Wolves are shy and lovable creatures.

APFAMRTNU 

Club

Pronounced: "Apft-Mr-Tnuo-Mint"

call me nightshade

"I'm not crazy. I prefer the term mentally hilarious" 

Thumbnail avatar 49865389c4

breakingdawn698

What I love about Meilin is that she keeps the team grounded, for the most part. They come up with an outrageous plan, she is the reality, no matter how much it might irritate us, as an audience, or the other characters. I love her sense of humor too. I also love how she has developed from a girl always looking for a fight to one who knows when to fight and if there’s a less violent way (mostly because of Jhi). But, despite all of that, what I love most about her is that she is a strong, “Asian” female who’s entire story doesn’t revolve around just one person (whether it be a romantic, friendly, familial, or other). These books came out when I was 11 and, as an Asian myself and someone who has lost her birth parents, I finally had a character I could relate to. Not many Asian female role models are in the world, and if there are, most likely they’re very shallow or stereotypical, and to see this amazing character on page was inspirational to me and a key part of who I wanted to be. 

Now, like every character, they do have annoyances. Although understandable, I didn’t like how, when the team instantly found out about a mole, she thought it was Abeke even though she had shown her loyalty time and time again. I understand it though, and I’m glad the writers drew that out to show that friendships aren’t built instantaneously just because you’re on the same side. I also was irritated with when she left in the end of Book 2. She could have gotten so much more achieved if she hadn’t left!! Also, maybe her father wouldn’t have died then if she hadn’t told them. However, despite these, I do love that she does this as well because it creates a 3-dimensional character. (And I was/wasn’t surprised about her Bile reveal. The book built it up to where it got very ridiculous about her obsession with the mole to the point where it had to be her. Also, all the hints from the previous all pointed to her .)

• Posted at:

Marvel 

Hunger Games

Spirit Animals

Once Upon  A Time

Glee

The Flash

Harry Potter-Slytherin

Big Bang Theory

Merlin

Shadowhunters

13 Reasons Why

"Some of you cared, none of you cared enough" -Hannah Baker

Geek till the end of time <3

Thumbnail avatar eeb566e14f

kittenpuppy823

I just finished Against the Tide. It was really good. Probably because it was by Tui  Sutherland. I was not expecting that. I figured there would be some twist though.

• Posted at:

><

Rxy

><

All the rain in the sky

Cant put out your fire

Of all the stars out tonight

You shine brighter- Britt Nicole

Jesus Loves you!

Thumbnail avatar a244023fb0

liondragon8719

thats bcause meilin got tricked and drank the bile

• Posted at:

Awww ghostcat, sorry about that -- I added a spoiler warning!

I love all your thoughts on Meilin, friends. She's such a cool character!

• Posted at:

Currently inactive but counting down the days till....

Wings of Fire Book #12: The Hive Queen (December 26, 2018!!!)!

Thumbnail avatar ac0ca306f8

catfairy2579

Meilin is my favourite character. I think I was a bit surprised that she drank the bile.

• Posted at:

I'm Back!

Call me Felina

My sister is Megumi

I joined on February 26th 2017

I am a random thread stalker that no one knows

Don't get angry at me for anything I say

I think Meilin's a decent character. She did really annoy me in the beginning though. She was really arrogant and rude to the other heroes at first. For example: how she treated Abeke because she thought she was the mole without proof, really got on my nerves, especially when it was revealed that Meilin was the mole all along. I do respect how finding out she was the mole humbled her though, and I respect her fighting skills just as much. But I've heard some people saying that Meilin deserves a better friend after Kana, but isn't that kind of like saying that the other 3 Heroes of Erdas aren't her friends? But to be fair, after everything they've been through together, I guess they feel more like family then friends to her. But still Abeke is a girl, so if Meilin needs a girl that she can relate to, then she technically already has a female friend. I do understand why Meilin wanting to be able to relate to another girl from Zhong though. Also, darn! I've been offline for a while so I missed out on the all about Shane post! *Sigh* Of course I would miss out on a post about my favorite character.

But also, Ms. Sarah E., I have a question: will we get to ask Sarwat Chadda questions about the final book before and after it comes out? I mostly want to ask him about his Ash Mistry series. It's an Indian mythology series with a great plot, action and adventure. That book series was awesome, but I never got to read the 3rd and final book because they never published it in the U.S. The first 2 books are available in America, but the last one is only available in the U.K. I've been waiting about 4 years to read it, but it's never come out. So I've been on a cliff hanger for four years...

• Posted at:

Yona of the Dawn, Lockwood and Co, Keeper of the Lost Cities, and Spirit Animals fan. (And I can't forget Miraculous Ladybug of course.)

Thumbnail avatar 422bb12271

wizardcomposing160

cool

• Posted at:

Thumbnail avatar 4cc92c61eb

delightedwolf94

What about Relin

Melin and Rollan do make the perfect couple❤

• Posted at:

Worthy is Alive

Seaspray deserved better

Relin is 4evr

Thumbnail avatar 8627886730

penguinemerald214

At some point I did kind of guess that what Meilin had thought was nectar was bile. I found it odd that the nectar tasted awful to her. I also found it strange that no one told her what the nectar would taste like. I want to know about her mother. Meilin doesn't say much and doesn't seem too sad that she is gone most likely because she never even knew her, but she still doesn't seem to care much. Honestly if my mom died I would want to know who she was. I wish we could see her interact with Jhi on her own more often. We see how easily the others connect and now with the Bile gone Meilin will have a real bond. How do they train together, do they play alot? 

• Posted at:

Written by a Greencloak,

a magician of the House of Life,

a daughter of Hecate goddess of magic,

a sandwing, 

the RiverClan warrior Hawkfire

#LOKILOVE

When I heard that Meilin drank the Bile I wasn't surprised at all because in the first book ( Wild Born), it hints that Meilin drank the Bile because it tastes awful and in Book 2, when Devin drank the bile he also thinks it is disgusting too. 

• Posted at:

I am a Wings of Fire fan.

A Spirit Animals Fan.

A Goosebumps Fan. 

A Tombquest Fan.

Thumbnail avatar 8cd620f173

icedragon791

While Meilin was pretty arrogant at the beginning of the series, I kind of want to cut her a small break though. She wanted nothing more than to protect her nation and her father, and that's justified. Having seen the attack on Zhong herself, she also realizes the severity of the situation more clearly than Connor and Rollan do, plus you know, it strikes a lot closer to home. 

But at the end of the day, this series is all about trust and teamwork, whether that's among a human and their spirit animal or friends. I would say that Blood Ties is the first big turning point for Meilin, but then I have remember how she later distrusted Abeke after having traveled with her for so long. Well then again, traitors are supposed to befriend the group for a long time, and we have seen that... and doesn't it kind of prove a point when Abeke continously meets up with Shane? Sorry Abeke, but none of the others were ever going to approve of that... Hmm, that's still something interesting about Abeke's character: that her arc probably revolves around trust the most, and she's the one who struggled at first to get the other heroes to like her. I kind of like how Meilin brought it back for a little while longer.

So back to Meilin, because this is All About Meilin: I find it interesting when she comes across stronger opponents; I think it brings a good reality check that she is not undefeatable and can still learn and improve. We have recently seen a stronger opponent in Stormspeaker, but as early as Wild Born Shane nearly beat her. Hmm, I would have loved a rematch between those two, without Rollan coming in.  

• Posted at:

-Paladin-

*✧ Fighting Evil by Moonlight - Winning Love by Daylight ✧*

(Your shy little gamer and book-nerd) - [Proud Catholic]

"I'll find some really deep quote to put here someday."

Sorry in advance for any long essays.

And I'm out!

Thumbnail avatar 53b12a9829

amberunicorn1029

yeah

• Posted at:

Cassie

Thumbnail avatar 647822f9a6

lynxlynx3024

I wasn't that surprised since you read in the first book that it tasted horrible for her (I only read the first post and then I saw redcloaks and then I decided to just only react on the first post since I am not that far yet) also if you read further in the books you see that she is actually very caring and nice when she understands the 3 other bettter

• Posted at:

Nebur

homethread /313731

Thumbnail avatar a4c85f817a

ponyfly58

Mellin Drank The Bile!!

• Posted at:

Hello

Thumbnail avatar 3b5697f0a7

dogdark466

same as me

• Posted at:

hello

two days later...

arggh!!!!!

call me dog

Thumbnail avatar 2ecf4d6bac

bluechocolate837

Technically, if in this game you get to choose a spirit animal, doesn’t That mean you drank the bile?

• Posted at:

Thumbnail avatar 3b5697f0a7

dogdark466

well, not really. i think olvan said that you drink the nectar, not the bile. he said that it was your nectar ceremony.

• Posted at:

hello

two days later...

arggh!!!!!

call me dog

poijdlhiogh

• Posted at:

Character placeholder thumbnail

redring41

I just want to mention that I love how me, Sapphire dragon, and Icedragon/Emerald honestly just can't go through a post without mentioning Shane at least once. Also, Meilin went from being my least favorite to my favorite out of the four fallen.

• Posted at:

#Shanedeservedbetter

#Shanelovedhermore

I am tspig