Thumbnail avatar 9b23d31bd8

pizzapie250

I'm writing this comic called Bad Things Happen, although in the beginning there are some scenes where bad things don't happen which seems odd without reference of some of what happens in the middle pages of the first volume and thereafter I'd prefer not to change that though.

Anyway. I have this character who I really want to establish as a good little cinnamon roll early on. He's only six right now (there's a lot of time skipping) so I know that leaves a lot of potential. Thing is, I can't for the life of me figure out what I can have him doing that won't feel like it's wasting time for the reader. I have him at a playground right now, and apparently his mom has some serious rivalry with some of the other moms, if that helps . . . I guess I just hit some art block. Writer's block. Whatever.

• Posted at:

Please tell us why you'd like to report this post

Clockwork

Female if you can't tell by the purple/pink text

sometimes I put random phrases here until I can use them in my writing. Yes, I'm that greedy with journal space.

Thumbnail avatar 277dbd7444

applekitten66

Make a outline first

• Posted at:

Quest/Galaxy Star

I follow my destiny, I follow my dream.

A new Quest, A new adventure

I don't care about what others think, I am who I am!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thumbnail avatar d1da38c5b6

dragonwolf4753

When I write stories (which is everyday) I either just type what I'm thinking at the moment, going with the flow, or I look at a random object and I add that into the story in a wacky way to keep the readers interested. It's okay to have writer's block. In fact, I get out of those by adding silly/funny stuff into it. 

Also, making outlines is a great idea. Helps you focus on what to do.

• Posted at:

Seeker-Elysium-DarkBlade 

#ReasonWhyPuppyTurned

#@/334496 

MBF:Alh|Cai|Rev|Run|Aur|Uni|Kra|Aph|May|Swi|Lyc|Apo|Noc|Sno|Jok|NR|Vix|Chio|

Queen Of Time & Sword Dueling

Member of the War Prevention Council

Able to steal the abilities of any magic-user

Thumbnail avatar 2326b9f4f5

moonlightmystery143

assuming this is starting off the story (or his part of the story), youre gonna wanna start off with the status quo. just... have him being him and having fun at that playground, but maybe with tiny touches of whats to come. maybe have some small things happen to him that are a bit odd, maybe they can be foreshadowing for whats to come, a little sense of mystery and foreboding just to keep the reader on their feet but keep it minimal. you still want it to seem like a fun, innocent little thing. maybe hes playing a game with some friends? depends on whether you wanna focus on him or on the moms for this part, without taking your ideas (or lack thereof) into account.

• Posted at:

✧・゚: *✧ASTERIA✧*:・゚✧

⸺–writing mom ✧ cat dealer–⸺

the world needs this luminary of

 the stars to shine even brighter!

should i stay, should i go, should i

run far away to the point where

i cant even see the universe?

⸻⸺⸺ ✧ ⸻⸺⸺

Thumbnail avatar efa8113f2d

darkangel2447

Depends which genre you're going for. Comedy? Action? Mystery? Romance? Once you've established that, you can deduce what your reader is expecting from the beginning.

Judging from the title alone, (this is a BIG assumption) it's either Comedy or Romance. If it's comedy, I think you'll be fine. But if it's action, you need that first scene to somehow connect to the plot later on (e.g. when Meilin first drank the Bile, we didn't know so until Book 6). Perhaps add a definite, unusual but maybe minuscule detail at the time, and then later on reveal the cause of that detail. 

But it sounds interesting. Good luck, and don't give up!!!!

• Posted at:

Kanna

Daughter of Athena

Follower of Hecate

Zhongese

Ekat 

pizzapie250

I guess I forgot to mention this but I plan on  switching between the parents on the bench and the children on the playground for a bit before the plots merge.

@Star

I Know exactly where I'm going with it, I just don't know how to get there, if that makes any sense. I need emotional buildup for this character outside of major events, but at the same time I don't want to make it seem pointless from the perspective of the reader.

@Seeker

I've been staring at random objects for the past few hours, and it isn't really working. The problem is I'm going for something oddly specific in the regard that there probably won't be a pineapple there, there isn't a sofa or a shoebox, Nathan is too small to climb the big oak trees, etc. It's a limited environment with limited character ability.

@Eris

I can't think of any way to hint towards future events, since things really only change for Nat after his brother's death which comes a little while later. It's not not long till it happens, but it's an agonizing few pages.

• Posted at:

Clockwork

sometimes I put random phrases here until I can use them in my writing. Yes, I'm that greedy with journal space.

Thumbnail avatar f5bda21c4d

happyhopeful24

take a walk through the most scenic and quiet place you can find (when it's day) fresh air helps. also, drink water. try lying in bed, in complete darkness, and just relaxing and focusing on breathing. calmness helps creativity flow.

• Posted at:

call me happeh

she/her

she’s bi-eauty, she’s gray-ace

canadian-chinese

catholic

will make puns

we’re just human

pizzapie250

I think I know what I'm going to do now. Nathan is playing a game with his friends, but they end up going past the tree line into the woods. One of the kids doesn't want to go because she's scared, though, which attracts the attention of the parents, and stuff happens which leads to slight character shifts in both Nathan and his mom.

• Posted at:

Clockwork

pizzapie250

. . . Or not. I ended up changing it so it did hold minor foreshadowing actually, which is nice.

• Posted at:

Clockwork