I think the way clothing changes across time periods and cultures is fascinating; when we look back at the sixteenth or seventeenth century and compare clothes then to those now, it’s clear major changes have happened, and different countries can have very different types of apparel.

Even in the last fifty years, clothes in the US have changed a ton, and we some fashion cycling back in that was popular forty or fifty years ago.

Obviously Erdas has the signature clothing items of green and red cloaks, but based on what we see in the books, the covers, and your own imagination, how would you describe each of the main character’s style? Are there differences because of where they were born, or because of, say, fighting style preference?

If you want, describe an outfit you’d put together for your favorite character!

• Posted at:

Please tell us why you'd like to report this post

Recent threads

WOF: dragon powers, ranked /333793

Spirit Animals forum book recs! /332977

Shadow House #4: Coming soon! /334491

Goosebumps: Calling all writers /332978

I Survived: Your heroes! /333794

Thumbnail avatar 7e99905417

tornadowave90

First?

• Posted at:

꧁《tσrnαdσ》꧂

Some call me Rey, Poet, or Valence.

☆We have a reputation of failure to uphold!☆

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

Why are you still reading this...? Scroll down!

Thumbnail avatar 9a5932f5a3

ponyspicy6

second 

• Posted at:

ⓈⓃⓄⓌ-ⒺⓁⓎⓈⒾⓊⓂ

☯she/her/weirdo☯

☯Anime\Manga\Book obsessed

☯"Now don't you understand...I'm never changing who I am.."-Imagine Dragons☯

☯Goddess of winter, nature and art☯

Remember the lost☯

☯LGBTQ+ supporter

Thumbnail avatar a64f4fa3e1

creativescarlet16

Well, I mean.

Like most fantasy worlds, Erdas's clothing and culture seems to be heavily based on our own. Mostly that of old European things, like back in the medieval time period or before then, when people wore tunics and such. If we look at the cover, we see that Abeke seems to be wearing clothes that are pretty similar to Rollan's and Conor's, just that she's wearing a skirt that girls wouldn't have been wearing during the middle ages because they would think it's too short. Considering that and how it seems that Amaya, which is based off of the Americas, seems to have been colonized already by (Eurans) Europeans, and how Meilin is depicted wearing something maybe out of 1920's China, I have to say that I have no idea. What style and design was used for Erdas? Most likely a mashup of things in the multiple cultures of the real world.

• Posted at:

Thread-Ghost, I seem

asdfghjkl

A typewriter named me

Thumbnail avatar 94e0fb4928

icedragon791

I would say that Erdas takes inspiration from real-life but also adds in its own different touches. Also like in real-life, fashion may spread from nation to nation in Erdas. Ok, now for some headcanons.

I find that Connor's Rollan's , and Devin's clothing all look pretty similar. All three wear a tunic, long pants, and a scarf with some differences here and there like colors and extra accessories. All in all, I think the simple style can fit for commoners. That being said, I would have expected Devin to wear something more stylish, but then again, this clothing could be better for travel.

Moving on to Abeke, it looks to me like she's wearing a white cotton shirt, pants, and a sort of apron (I thought she had a separate skirt, but looking back now I think it's one piece with the extra cloth around her shirt). But hmm, aren't aprons supposed to help keep you tidy when cooking and cleaning? Or in Abeke's case, would it be hunting? I doubt it offers much as light armor, so I'm just going to go with the hunter's apron idea. Well it's either that or she's just wearing it because it looks nice... but I think a hunter's apron is a cool new idea.

Zhongnese fashion is also interesting. On one hand, I believe Princess Song actually wore a traditional dress that you would expect from a real empress, but Meilin seems to follow a different style with her jacket, skirt, and pants. I always thought that her clothes were suited for her fighting style though. Maybe the jacket adds a military theme. 

All in all, while it can be hard to explain what each fashion is, everyone's outfit still matches their character great.

• Posted at:

-Paladin-

*✧ Fighting Evil by Moonlight - Winning Love by Daylight ✧*

(Your shy little gamer and book-nerd) - [Proud Catholic]

"I'll find some really deep quote to put here someday."

Sorry in advance for any long essays.

And I'm out!

Character placeholder thumbnail

redring41

Hmmmm. The girls never really change their style but Rollan likes to change the color of his tunic a lot (that fashionista). All the boys where the same clothes but the style of  Stetriol seems to be different as it should be. Shane's  outfit should be more dark and sophisticated because his soul is more dark and sophisticated.  And to answer your question icedragon I always assumed that Conor's outfit was the fanciest he had and Devin's was whatever he felt like wearing. 

• Posted at:

#Shanedeservedbetter

#Shanelovedhermore

I am tspig 

Thumbnail avatar 99201056aa

icebear896

i think the same as you besides those crazy war uniform

and the hair style 

• Posted at:

icebear896 A.K.A icelynx450

Boy

Jewish

9 yrs old

3rd grd

Likes PIRATES

AY YAY MATEY!!

smartof you to highlight this!!!!!!!

Lol. Right? That would fit Shane's personality @redring41. But he did have a dark, and pretty cool looking outfit for The Burning Tide, and it did look more complex then the other four heroes. I wish we had seen him in more outfits on the cover before...well you know. Also, I'm late to the party again. I totally missed out on The Dragon's Eye conversation. I figured Abeke would wear traditional tribal clothing from Nilo, but nothing to fancy, since she always stood out in her home for being too tomboyish, and since she likes to hunt. I always imagined that Meilin would wear traditional outfits from Zhong that were comfortable enough to fight in. I thought that Conner would have a more humble style of clothing, because of how he was brought up. And for Rollan I imagined that he would wear a casual stlye from Amaya, with comfortable cloth, after years of tough street life. I do wish we'd seen more of the characters besides Rollan have wardrobe changes on the color.

• Posted at:

Yona of the Dawn, Lockwood and Co, Keeper of the Lost Cities, and Spirit Animals fan. (And I can't forget Miraculous Ladybug of course.)

Thumbnail avatar 94e0fb4928

icedragon791

Haha! Yeah, out of all the boys, Shane's outfit is the most unique (and stylish). I agree that fashion in Stetriol should be very different from the other nations. I believe it was mentioned that colorful dyes are a rare luxury there, so yes, most clothing there should have a darker and duller color scheme than the other nations. Considering how Stetriol was isolated from the rest of the world for a long while, trading for more dyes would be impossible and you'd also be oblivious of every other fashion trend going on in the world. Yet it's actually that isolation that could have helped Stetriol's fashion evolve into its own unique styles... Maybe.

Well, I still think of Stetriol as "basically-medieval-Australia" so tunics and the like are probably still used. And wasn't Shane wearing a tunic like the other boys during the first arc too? Technically, a plainer style could have helped hide his true identity.   

• Posted at:

-Paladin-

*✧ Fighting Evil by Moonlight - Winning Love by Daylight ✧*

(Your shy little gamer and book-nerd) - [Proud Catholic]

"I'll find some really deep quote to put here someday."

Sorry in advance for any long essays.

And I'm out!

Oops! I meant cover, not color on my last post. Typos. I think Stetriol's isolation did it make it's style evolve the way it did @icedragon791. And Stetriol does give a medieval Australian vibe based on the SA map. Same for Nilo being medieval Africa, Zhong being medieval Asia, Amaya as medieval America/possibly also South America, Eura as medieval Asia, and Arctic (I'm assuming that's the name, I forget) as medieval Antarctica. I think Shane did originally wear regualr tunics, to disguise his identity. But once he revealed he was the new Reptile King, and well...stuff happened, I don't think he felt the need to hide his origins anymore. That's probably why he would wear more Stetriol like clothing. Plus it would send a message to the Redcloaks and Stetriol that he's representing them as a Stetrolian Redcloak right? Afterall, weren't a lot of ex-Conquerors/current Redcloaks from Stetriol? I think his clothes could have also been a symbol. 

• Posted at:

Yona of the Dawn, Lockwood and Co, Keeper of the Lost Cities, and Spirit Animals fan. (And I can't forget Miraculous Ladybug of course.)

Thumbnail avatar ef6dce8d59

airportwinter35

I think Shane's cloth is sign for the leaedr. As you see in the cover, it is impossible that all of Stetriolers wear like that way. I personally agree that Shane's cloth was representing Stetriol which had been isolated for long time.

Meilin shoud have been wearing clothing based on silk form like Song but I can't understand why she is dressing like modern Chinese. I think she changed her cloth in Green Haven. 

• Posted at:

t Jacob (major and mostly used) t

Anything interesting

Stay Calm, Study Yourself, Stop Wasting Time.

These are all 'St process of life. 

Thumbnail avatar bf874ab09f

eaglearrow858

I have to agree about the Europeans Eurans and the Americans Amayans. Also Zhong is based off of China. Like the wall, for instance. Or the style. Or the fact that it's Zhongese, not Zhongan, which just sounds weird. And the Chinese name for China is Zhong Guo. Also the Niloans are kind of like tribes in the desert, right?

• Posted at:

My Name is Phoenix

Aranza the Dragon Rider

Abigail Stormhand the Prodigy

My spirit animal is the fox

Gryffindor

Diana Dreamfinder the Keeper

WindClan

Heart

Cookie Dough

Portland Symphonic Girlchoir

Camp Meadowood Springs

Nature

Video Games

Books

Writing

Singing

Art

Thumbnail avatar 8ffb7d24bb

dragondolphin2613

I feel like a great war/battle outfit for Rollan would be leather boots, Tarik's Greencloak, A cotton, light brown tunic with chain-mail sleeves and perhaps a leather coat on top of that.

However, I cannot deny the fact that all of the outfits on the book covers and described in the book are great for their characters

• Posted at:

T!Gɔə↱

Translation: Tiger

♜♞

Call me TigerTiger-Strike, or Tiger-Strike #7

I will be very inactive because of school