Thumbnail avatar b40aad2340

dragonbreeze930

Hey guys, and here’s my almost-a-whole-year-now book series thread. After some long and hard work of brainstorming and universe building and character building, etc… I’m finally able to say that I’m close to finishing, however it’ll take some time for final touch-ups. Fortunately, I already have a publishing company that will publish this, and the artist and I have been coordinating about concept art for awhile. Anyway, I’m happy to share with you my first draft! All of the characters are animals and are anthropomorphic. Just remember, the material in my book is subject to change (ah yes, I’m missing a proofreader. My dad who’s good at that stuff says he’ll do it, but I’m a little embarrassed about that…). Please note, the main character is a fox and his name is Falen. And best of all… this book is a Kitsune story.

Nine- A Kitsune’s Tails

Chapter 1

This was my laboratory, or rather, my workspace. The council had insisted that I work here for the past few years, building the many kinds of equipment and weapons they use now. I enjoyed this type of work, and any task given to me was done better than any of them had ever expected. I was perplexed that another griffin, one who’s brain was larger than mine, couldn’t comprehend each of my numerous exploits. Most of the nobles who inspected my prototypes gave no suggestions, not even a critical comment. It was as though I was abnormally intelligent, at least when it came to Xankro. But, as I pushed open the heavy marble doors, I realized that a fox living in a griffin culture wasn’t normal, either. I swung open the doors with a large heave, entering my messy, disorganized workshop. I half-laughed half-sighed when I saw the tools scattered everywhere, the Xankro prototypes cluttering the desks, and small splatters of liquidized Xankro laying in amongst the entire mess. Intelligent or not, I was an absolute slob and had a distaste for cleaning up my messes. Ordinarily, I was too busy to let such a thing bother me, but now I felt as though this was too much to leave sitting. As soon as I stepped inside, I tripped over something on the floor, causing me to stumble for a moment. I quickly gained my bearings then looked down to see what it was. The object was my Xankro repeater, the one I had done extensive modifications on. I picked it up, its lightweight build and its compactivity giving it an irresistible feel, and I slipped it into my grip. I had spent so much of my free time on this weapon, but I never actually had a chance to use it. What I’d use it on, however, I didn’t know. I set the weapon back in it’s propped up position, then turned to face a large wooden table. I set my Slate on the edge of the table, then began tidying up its surface. I weaved through my pile of Xankro containers before anything, keeping the most possibly useful, and throwing out the rest. I liked most of my designs; they were simple, efficient, and usually compact. One had the ability to hold an excessive amount of Xankro, while keeping a reasonable size. Others were convenient in design. One caught my eye, and I scooped it up in my paws. It was a long, thin, and rectangular tube, capable of handling an enormous amount of Xankro. Though it had little mobility, it was helpful for a repeater optimized for suppressive fire. I looked at it for a long moment, gazing at my distorted reflection in it. I guess I should keep it, I thought to myself, putting into a small container. I continued to clean the clutter and wipe up the Xankro until the place was immaculate. When I had finished cleaning, I carefully picked up a newly-finished Xankro cartridge, blowing the dust off it. My project. It was, so far, the greatest Xankro cartridge I had invented. It was compact, had a nice feel, was extremely mobile, and still held a decent amount of Xankro inside. I had modified it time and time again, getting it so it would produce exactly seventy-six bolts of Xankro with each cartridge. That was groundbreaking for its size, as the last compact container I’d developed could only produce seventy-one. I looked at it closely, examining it in the light that streamed through the window above. now all it needed was its firing and durability tests. If it was successful, the officials no doubt would consider this as the standard issue cartridge for the garrison. I set the cartridge on the ground, turning to pick up the idle Slate lying on the table. I grabbed it and began swiping my paw across it. Once unlocked, an array of twenty-six characters appeared, thirteen to each side, all of them glowing a bright white. I tapped on the surface of the letters, fitting them together into comprehensible sentences. The Slate, as they all called it, contained various tools to help the griffins in the Palace with their busy lives, as well helping to keep and track files on every single creature in the Valley. I flicked my paw around the screen, bored and thinking of what to do next. Few know how the Slate came into existence, but some say they were created by a magician long ago. Others say it is related to Xankro in that it is a magic material reacting with its environment, and that it can simply be mined underground. I opened up my ‘Notes’ tab and shook my tail back and forth. That last theory was probably false. How could a simple, easily obtainable material react with a portion of marble to create a tool like this? It just didn’t seem likely.   Either way, I was grateful to have it. With options like the ‘Notes’ tab, I used it to track all the important aspects of my research and tests, saving it for the near future. I finished tapping out my calculations, then I locked it back up again, swiping my paw across the surface in a unique pattern that only I knew. I placed the object carefully onto the table beside me, then turned to the repeater that I had propped up against the side of the table. From the surface of the table, I grabbed the cartridge of Xankro that I intended to use for testing and reached for the weapon. I could feel the liquidized Xankro slosh around inside as I jerked my paws around. I grabbed my Repeater and I walked a few steps towards the chair at my right, pulling the seat with my foot since my forepaws were full. I quickly set to work pulling back the lever on the left side of the Repeater, then released the cartridge that sat snug inside the compartment. I tossed the old one to the side, then stuck the new prototype in its place. I felt a satisfying click follow, and then I pushed the lever back in place. I propped the weapon back up, then stepped back to get a better view. There- that looked perfect. The compact feel and sleek look was sure to be a crowd pleaser for the whole council. I smiled a little at that thought. The Council, as it was referred to, was a group of thirty-one griffins. This group both ruled the Palace and conducted its laws in an equal and orderly way. Every three years, the inhabitants of the Palace picked the griffins in each position through majority vote. Each time elections were held, it was done in sessions. The Third Class griffins went first, then the Second Class, and finally the First Class. I didn’t care very much about this part- they were all the same to me. They all liked my experiments, and my uncanny way with Xankro. Most said it was the only thing that the entire Council agreed on, which I believed. Furthermore, none of them gave any sort of correction whatsoever, only their praise and admiration. Some gave suggestions, but none that were very stimulating or significant. Once, when I was quite new with Xankro engineering, I stunned the Palace when I experimented with a piece of metal, Xankro, and some tools. This was when I was still a child, but close to adulthood, so I was limited on the materials. With the few tools I had, I shaped the metal into a sort of rectangle, with a hollow interior. When I had spent a couple hours on this shape, I realized that it looked nothing like how I wanted. Determined to make this a satisfactory piece of art, I went to Fos to beg for more materials. ‘Fos’ was my name for my foster father, the kind older griffin that took me in years ago. When I had been separated from my family, he found me and managed to let me live in his quarters with him. Now, as I went to ask for materials, I knew he wouldn’t turn me down. Like I had expected, he gave me a small box full of many useful objects; copper, silver, wires, glass containers, and the like. Then he bent down, and whispering softly told me not to tell anyone- it was against the rules to take things from the scrap pile in the testing chambers, and he didn’t want to be reported for such a silly thing. I understood what he meant and promised to tell no one. From that time on, I spent hours on projects every day inside the testing chambers. No, I technically wasn’t supposed to be in there, but I used the room after hours when it was deserted and I never left a trace of my work. Oftentimes I even left it cleaner than before, but no one seemed to notice. After about six months of my little hobby, I was creating some fine, better-than-par material, and I even had an audience. Some days I saw them around the corner when I left the chamber or make eye contact with me at dinner. I was beginning to think that they knew I was there, and they just didn’t care that I was. It was so unsettling that made me look over my shoulder every so often. But whatever the reason, The Council had gotten curious about my work, and I evidently had their attention. I continued my work for another week or two, always keeping one eye behind my back, but staying at the same pace. Meanwhile, Fos continued to swipe me supplies from places where disposed material could be found, and soon I had ten boxes of materials full at all times. By seven months I had constructed three makeshift Xankro lanterns, two sets of Xankro knives, and tinkered with a Xankro Repeater that I had found lazily tossed to the ground by a careless soldier. One day, as I messed with the loading function on the Repeater, I felt a presence behind me. Assuming who it was, I stopped quickly. I casually set the small tool in my paw onto the table and turned around, meeting the gaze of a Second Class griffin. He told me how long the Council had been watching me, and that they were greatly impressed with my progress. They knew that what I had done was illegal, but they had decided to make an exception this once- after all, it had gone well in the end. After that meeting, I became a remarkable Xankro engineer, and soon the most well-known in the Palace. My projects were state-of-the-art, efficient, and hardly malfunctioned. Speaking of which… I interrupted my thoughts and grabbed the repeater once more, pulling back the lever and taking out the prototype. Tonight was another of my many presentations to the Council, and this time it was for the new cartridge. I held the prototype up close to my eyes, giving it one more look before I finished with work for the day. I watched the clean orange Xankro liquid sit easily inside the container, giving off a small, almost invisible glow. The cartridge itself was immaculate, too. It was build out of fine steel, with a silver interior mechanism. It was perfect.

Well, while my main character has his prototype, I have my own prototype of chapter one. This, as you know, is only a first draft and will become better in the future. If it's popular enough, I will be updating this with another chapter at least once a week, but occasionally I may be a couple days late. If you want to see the prologue, just ask and I'll post it here ASAP. I hope you all liked it and yes it may be read a little too quickly, and imma try to change that a little. But anyway, I’m open to recommendations and stuff, just put #NKT in your sig if you want to support (ok that’s a bit demanding lol). Thank you!

• Posted at:

Please tell us why you'd like to report this post

-Breeze-

#REMEMBER HURRICANE

The relaxed of the relaxed.

I’m a Kitsune.  Am I joking? A Kitsune is always joking.

#NKT

dragonbreeze930

Poke

• Posted at:

-Breeze-

#REMEMBER HURRICANE

#NKT

Thumbnail avatar 7e99905417

tornadowave90

This is a quite interesting story, I really enjoyed it. I'll be looking forward to finding out more about the world all of these characters are living in.

Nice job! ;)

• Posted at:

꧁《tσrnαdσ》꧂

Some call me Rey, Poet, or Valence.

☆We have a reputation of failure to uphold!☆

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

Why are you still reading this...? Scroll down!

Thumbnail avatar 17e80c08a7

brownlynx107

Dude, that’s awesome! cant wait for the rest!

• Posted at:

Arl

lil'Axle/PostWork

(He/Him/Boi)

remember kids:

Wear your seatbelt!

It's not stupid If it works!”-Alec Steele, 2k17

#NKT

#cringelord

Fall in to the gray side...

(Devin, Edwin, Axel, Jayden, Lyra, Bryson, Nurko, Smoke)

dragonbreeze930

Thank you so much for your feedback and support, guys!

• Posted at:

-Breeze-

#REMEMBER HURRICANE

#NKT

dragonbreeze930

Next chapter soon!

• Posted at:

-Breeze-

#REMEMBER HURRICANE

#NKT

Thumbnail avatar d1da38c5b6

dragonwolf4753

Keep up the good work ^^

• Posted at:

Seeker-Elysium-DarkBlade 

#ReasonWhyPuppyTurned

#@/334496 

MBF:Alh|Cai|Rev|Run|Aur|Uni|Kra|Aph|May|Swi|Lyc|Apo|Noc|Sno|Jok|NR|Vix|Chio|

Queen Of Time & Sword Dueling

Member of the War Prevention Council

Able to steal the abilities of any magic-user

#NKT? Demanding? Lol, not at all, consider it done. XD  I am intrigued and would love to read more. It really seems as though you've put a lot of effort into it. Which publishing company did you sign a contract with, may I ask?

Could I also suggest separating the paragraphs in your chapters to make it easier to read, next time? Really good, keep it up!

• Posted at:

*:・゚✧*:・゚✧ Gąąĉią *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

Sagittarius ☆ A Herondale ☆ Ranger of Alagaesia ☆ Mistborn

dragonbreeze930

Hold on, are they not letting my post though...?

• Posted at:

-Breeze-

#REMEMBER HURRICANE

#NKT

dragonbreeze930

Thanks so much everyone! I'm not going to do this ordinarily, but I'm going to post a couple more chapters over the next few days, to show you more of the story.

By the way, this chapter may seem a little confusing but as the story goes on you'll see what happens.

And yea I'm trying to get the paragraph thing so it'll be easier to read, I apologize for the inconvenience. I'm doing this over two computers (long story) and it's not working too well so I'll get it done for next chapter. I'll try a bigger font size.

Chapter 2

It was close to dinnertime when Fos was aware that the time had come. Sitting in his room with Falen absent, he tapped furiously at his Slate. Suddenly he heard voices outside his room, down the hall. He glanced at the door, then back at the Slate. There was no time to finish. Fos scrambled up from his seat and grabbed the quilt from his bed, then wrapped it around his Slate in a disorderly way. He threw the bundle to the ground, then kicked it underneath the bed hastily and went back to the table. The voices were getting closer, and the sound of a dozen talons clicked on the floor. They were headed right this way. From beneath a cloth on the table came a triplet of Xankro knives, each of them sleek and shiny. Fos readied himself behind the table and faced the door, knives at the ready, and braced himself for the collage of soldiers to attack. He had been expecting this the moment he brought Falen in. He had waited patiently for the day to come- and now it had. Fos stole one last look over at his bed, cursing himself for putting off his letter to his foster son. Would Falen understand? He could only hope so. Falen would find him sooner or later, and his meager information would have to suffice. Bang! Fos’ head whirled around as he heard a rough pound on the door. He put a tighter grip on his knife and watched as the door ahead of him shook and rattled, and he could hear them shouting in anger. Time was up for him. Fos tensed as the pounding suddenly became rhythmic, as if they were pounding on the large marble door with a battering ram. Falen… this is up to you. I’ve played my part in your story- now it’s time to finish it. The marble began to split and crack open, making the voices louder. I always loved you, but there’s someone else out there who loves you too. CRACK! The marble door finally smashed into several pieces, creating a racket that echoed throughout the halls. The griffin soldiers, all of them Moonlight class, bolted into the room together. I’m sorry I couldn’t say goodbye, but I had no choice. It’s up to you now, Falen! Goodbye, my adopted son. One of the knives sailed through air in perfect form, instantly sticking one of the griffins in his neck. He howled, and falling to the floor he began writhing around, blood seeping out of his open wound. As soon as one knife flew, the griffins opened fire with their Repeaters. Fos ducked and kicked over the table in front of him, providing momentary cover. He knew that the table wouldn’t provide much, and that the Moonlights would be on him in no time, but it was all he could do. Fos looked at the knives in his talons, then sighed. He knew he wouldn’t be able to do this in his old age, as he could feel his limbs starting to weaken. Fos gripped the knife in his right talon tightly, still determined despite his weakness. I may be old, but I’m not going to give up on him yet. With a grimace, Fos popped up from behind the table and faced the Moonlights, who were starting to form a flanking circle around his cover. With the element of surprise in his favor, Fos managed to release one of his knives as perfectly as before, striking another of the griffins in the shoulder this time. In the split second that he released the knife, seven repeaters rained dozens of bolts towards him. Fos was too slow to avoid the danger, and felt a sharp pain pierce his wing. He snarled and fell behind to table again, grabbing the spot on his wing that had been hit. Blood started to form and slide into his feathers and drip onto the marble floor. It hurt, but he could manage. Fos pulled up to the edge of the table and looked painfully down at his last knife. As Xankro bolts whizzed around the table, Fos knew his moment wasn’t going to last, and he carefully pulled himself on one knee. With a shaky body, he lifted himself up over the table one last time, and quickly released the knife towards the Moonlight in front of him. Then, as he saw a multitude of Xankro bolts head his way, he took one last breath. Two of the bolts hit him square in the chest, knocking the air out of his lungs, and another hit his side. Fos felt his body crash to the ground in a heap of pain. He felt the blood slowly seep out and spread around the marble floor, creating a blanket of red liquid to engulf his feathers. As his eyes closed for the last time, he knew that he had failed; failed his mission, failed his allies- but he had failed Falen the most. I’m sorry I couldn’t do it- I couldn’t stop this, Falen. It’s up to you… The last thing he saw was his blood-spattered bed with his half-finished message waiting beneath it... waiting for him.

• Posted at:

-Breeze-

#REMEMBER HURRICANE

#NKT

dragonbreeze930

Thank you so much, guys!! Sorry I had a whole next chapter and stuff coming in but it's not letting it through...

• Posted at:

-Breeze-

#REMEMBER HURRICANE

#NKT

dragonbreeze930

Oh good it came through. I'll have to look up the name of the publishing company I forgot how to spell it...

• Posted at:

-Breeze-

#REMEMBER HURRICANE

#NKT

Thumbnail avatar 17e80c08a7

brownlynx107

This is an awesome story! #NKT!

• Posted at:

Arl

lil'Axle/PostWork

(He/Him/Boi)

remember kids:

Wear your seatbelt!

It's not stupid If it works!”-Alec Steele, 2k17

#NKT

#cringelord

Fall in to the gray side...

(Devin, Edwin, Axel, Jayden, Lyra, Bryson, Nurko, Smoke)

dragonbreeze930

Thanks man! Next chapter maybe tomorrow (I’ve got these written already, that’s how I’m able to send them frequently)

• Posted at:

-Breeze-

#REMEMBER HURRICANE

#NKT

dragonbreeze930

Poke

• Posted at:

-Breeze-

#REMEMBER HURRICANE

#NKT

I wouldn't be surprised if it is Clover Kin Publishing Company, since I've heard they do artwork and publishing for debut authors. Their art is also kinda anthropomorphic-y as well idk.

• Posted at:

*:・゚✧*:・゚✧ Gąąĉią *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

Sagittarius ☆ A Herondale ☆ Ranger of Alagaesia ☆ Mistborn

dragonbreeze930

No it’s not that one... sorry I’ll look it up soon

• Posted at:

-Breeze-

#REMEMBER HURRICANE

#NKT

dragonbreeze930

Poke

• Posted at:

-Breeze-

#REMEMBER HURRICANE

#NKT