Do you like this story? (Please be honest

Thumbnail avatar d9268bcca1

dragonflyhawk130

Chapter 1

My mother and I stood outside our cottage gazing at the sky. Wait. I suppose before I begin I ought to introduce myself. I am Rowen Fire-sky. I have brown, shoulder length hair, bright blue eyes and I am 4'9" (I know, I’m short). Oh and I am 13 years old. That's me. Well, now on with the story. High above, 16 griffins flew, soaring on the wind currents.

"Mother, is it a Choosing?" I asked. A Choosing was when the griffin riders took 2-8 young griffins to choose riders. I had always wanted to be a griffin rider but only boys and noble girls or girls who paid a large sum were allowed a chance.

"I can't tell," my mother, Amaryllis said. "Go fetch your father's telescope." I darted inside and grabbed the telescope, then, ran back outside and handed the telescope to her mother, praying it was a Choosing.

After peering through the telescope for a moment, my mother said, "Yes. It’s a Choosing. Go get your brothers from the field. If you hurry you can go watch the Choosing."

I sprinted off to our family’s fields, cursing the dress I had to wear when I nearly tripped over it. When I reached my brothers, I yelled, “Nathan, Jack, did you see the griffins? Mom says it’s a Choosing! Come on, hurry!” Nathan looked amused.

“Are you sure, sis?”

“Yes,” I said, practically shouting. I didn’t want to miss the griffins!

“Okay, okay,” Nathan said. “Go get the horses. Come on, Jack,” he added to my brother. “Help me put the tools away. I turned and darted off yet again, this time towards our barn. We only has 2 riding horses, so I would have to share with one of my brothers. I got the two horses out of their stalls and quickly saddled and bridled them, making sure to put the larger of the saddles on Nathan’s horse. Last time I had put the wrong saddle on the wrong horse, I had to re-do it and that would take too long today. Mounting Nathan’s horse with the other horse’s reins held securely in my hand, I trotted off towards the house. When I go to the front walkway, I pulled the horses back into a walk and gestured for Nathan and Jack to get on.

“Come on!” I shouted impatiently. Nathan and Jack just grinned in amusement, but my mom said,  “Patience, Rowan."

“It’s alright, Mom,” Jack said. “She’s just excited.” Nathan then walked over and swung himself up behind me, reaching around me to grab the reins. Jack also took the other horse’s reins from me and mounted. As soon as Jack was seated, my brothers kicked their horses and we took off at a fast canter.

We stopped our horses just outside the town square.

"Hey sis," Nathan said. "Go sign us in."

"Ok." I said. I walked over to a tall griffin rider who was standing behind a large wooden table.

"I'm here to sign in my brothers for the Choosing," I said. “Is this the right place?”

"Yep. Here's the sign-in sheet," said the man. I signed my brothers up and was about to walk away when the man said, "You know, you should sign yourself up. You have an air about you the griffins would like.” I sighed. "Unfortunately, I’m not a noble and I don’t have any money." I said.

“That’s too bad,” the man said. “You'd make a good Rider.” I could feel his eyes on my back as I walked away to join the crowd gathered around the raised wooden platform that doubled as a stage.

On the platform stood 8 griffins: 1 grey, 2 grey-gold, 4 bronze and 1 rare gold. Then,to the cheers of the crowd, 30 young men, ages ranging from 12 to 18 filed onto the stage. They stood in front of the griffins. I knew what was supposed to happen next: a griffin would step forward and begin the ceremony by Choosing a Rider. But that didn't happen. For a moment, the griffins just stood there. Confused murmurs began to circulate through the crowd. Suddenly, the gold griffin lunged forward, pushing through the line of men and boys. It landed in front of me. The crowd backed away, forming a semi-circle around me. The griffin bowed deeply to me.

Wait, what? That was the beginning of the Choosing ceremony. I was shocked into holding still for a moment, but I somehow managed to bow back. The griffin held out its right wing tip and I took it with my left hand, too shocked to do anything except respond as everyone who was Chosen by a griffin did. A griffin Choosing anyone who wasn’t on the stage had never happened before. The griffin then held out its left wing tip. The left wing tip signified pure trust. I shakily took it with my right hand and we bowed together, completing the ritual. We were then beckoned onto the stage and I walked up dizzily, leaning on the griffin. My griffin. I was still in shock. Then, as if our stepping onto the stage was a cue, all the other griffins leaped off the stage and Chose girls from the crowd.

Mods, please let this through.

• Posted at:

Please tell us why you'd like to report this post

Call me Dawn!

Female

~Queen of Books~

Homethread @349256

Library Nerd!

#Avidreader

#Lockwood&Co.

#SixofCrows

Weekly Quote:

"Be a voice, not an echo." - Unknown

Thumbnail avatar 00c940725c

lavenderdawn69

Nice twist!

• Posted at:

Lavender/Iria

ASLAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!,you'd make a great teacher.

My gang:Strawberry Shortcake, Plum Pudding, Lemon Meringue, Blueberry Muffin, Raspberry Torte, Ginger Snap

The world changes,nature shrivels but also blooms,yet we stay strong.

dragonflyhawk130

@Lavender- Thanks!

Also, WHO TOUCHED MY BUTTON!!!!? THE GRIFFINS ARE GOING TO EAT YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Posted at:

Call me Dawn!

Female

~Queen of Books~

Homethread @349256

Library Nerd!

#Avidreader

#Lockwood&Co.

#SixofCrows

Weekly Quote:

dragonflyhawk130

JK- I don't actually care, although I would like to know what you think.

• Posted at:

Call me Dawn!

Female

~Queen of Books~

Homethread @349256

Library Nerd!

#Avidreader

#Lockwood&Co.

#SixofCrows

Weekly Quote:

Thumbnail avatar ded2f63c35

amazingdawn82

I remember this! It's great!

• Posted at:

*~Alheimur Elysium~*

Call me Alheimur, 'kay?

She/Her

Joined 10/16/16

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." ~ Albert Einstein

Ponies make life 20% cooler

dragonflyhawk130

Thanks! I will post the next chapter sometime after school.

• Posted at:

Call me Dawn!

Female

~Queen of Books~

Homethread @349256

Library Nerd!

#Avidreader

#Lockwood&Co.

#SixofCrows

Weekly Quote:

dragonflyhawk130

Editing next chapter now. I had to pause for a moment to get my brother un-stuck from a tree, but it should be up in the next 15-ish mins.

• Posted at:

Call me Dawn!

Female

~Queen of Books~

Homethread @349256

Library Nerd!

#Avidreader

#Lockwood&Co.

#SixofCrows

Weekly Quote:

Thumbnail avatar 6bb9e5ec0c

fogwolf385

Yayyy

• Posted at:

Foggy

"Ever get that feeling that you're, like, tired?"

Also hi.

Mildly problematic.

dragonflyhawk130

Chapter 2 is going to be late, I had to leave unexpectedly. I might just do half the chapter now and more later, though.

• Posted at:

Call me Dawn!

Female

~Queen of Books~

Homethread @349256

Library Nerd!

#Avidreader

#Lockwood&Co.

#SixofCrows

Weekly Quote:

dragonflyhawk130

Chapter 2

As the other griffins Chose their Riders, I leaned against my griffin for support. I was still unsure of what had happened, but one thought managed to remain coherent in my head. How am I going to tell Mom and Dad? They would be furious! They might even try to make me give up my griffin. Could they force me to do that? Then, I felt a hand at my elbow. I looked over at a young women no much taller than I was. She had the look of a griffin rider, and I guessed from the badges pinned to her armour that she was of high ranking. Behind her stood both of my brothers.

“In normal cases of Choosings, those Chosen are allowed to go home to their families for a night. Though this isn’t a normal case, as the highest ranking officer of my band, I have decided that you can go home anyways. Your griffin will be kept here and you will return by 0630. That’s 6:30 in the morning if you didn’t know. All I could do was nod numbly and follow my brothers away to our horses. As we wove through the crowd, I slowly began to come back to myself.

“I’m a Griffin Rider?” I said, knowing it sounded like a question a little too much. “It would appear so,” Aaron said. I noticed he was grinding his teeth and his shoulders were taut.

“I’m sorry,” I blurted. “One of you should have been chosen.” Aaron sighed and relaxed. “It’s not that,” he said. “It’s that your our little sister and now your going away… and I have no idea how to tell our parents.”

“Boy, is that going to be a battle,” Jack said. I laughed. I felt better now, although I didn’t know how to tell my parents either.   

“So, how was the Choosing?” Mom asked at dinner. I dropped my fork in surprise. She hadn’t said anything all day and I was beginning to wonder I was going to have to be the one to bring it up.

“Well,” I said. “About that. I… I was Chosen. The griffin leapt off the stage and Chose me. I have to be to the Choosing area by 6:30 tomorrow.” There was a stunned silence around the table. “What!?” my father yelled. “You can’t leave! Your mother needs you here and so do I.” I looked over to Mother. “Mom?” I said. “She needs to go,” she said without meeting my eyes. “Did you know about this?” Dad said to Aaron and Mark.

Aaron met Dad’s eyes steadily. “Yes. I saw what happened and I know she has to go. That griffin went right to her. It’s already Claimed her and you can’t legally separate them.” I could feel the tension boiling in the air and decided it might be a good idea to leave, now! I stood up and announced, “I am going to go pack now.” I left my family sitting at the table in stunned silence.

I collapsed onto my straw mattress as soon as I was upstairs. What was I going to do? I had dreamed of being a Griffin Rider as long as I could remember, but if my family was fighting so much, maybe I should stay. No. I firmly shook my head. I would not stay. This was my dream and I was going. I stood up, confidence renewed and pulled my dusty, old saddle bags out from under my bed and began packing.

I hadn’t slept well and I was very tired the next morning when I woke up at 5:30. I sleepily dressed and wandered downstairs. I could smell bacon cooking from the kitchen. Wait. Bacon? We never had bacon except on Christmas. It was too expensive and we didn’t have pigs. I walked in to the kitchen and there was my mother, cooking, yes, indeed, it was bacon.

“Hello, my Griffin Rider,” she said.

~~~~~Chapter To Be Continued~~~~~~

• Posted at:

Call me Dawn!

Female

~Queen of Books~

Homethread @349256

Library Nerd!

#Avidreader

#Lockwood&Co.

#SixofCrows

Weekly Quote:

dragonflyhawk130

Chapter 2- Continued

"What's with the bacon?" I asked sleepily. "Well," my mother replied. "You'll be leaving us for a while, so I thought I'd make something special. "Thanks, Mom," I said. I sat down at our worn wood table and my mother passed me my breakfast. AS I ate, I thought about everything that had happened. I was a griffin rider now, I had my own griffin, and I was leaving today for my training. Just then, my brothers came stomping down the stairs like a herd of elephants, interrupting my thoughts. 

"Hey, Griffin Rider sis," Aaron said, to cheerful for how early it was. "Don't call me that," I said, a pained expression on my face. "How about Griffin Girl, or Rider Girl, or..." I cut him off before he could get any further. "How about you just call me by my real name or I will start calling you Farmer Boy?" 

"Hey!" Aaron said. "Fine, I will call you by your name then." I smiled and Mother passed them their plates as they sat down. Soon, it was time for me to go. Father still hadn't come down, probably because he was still mad about my leaving. i gathered my bags and tied them to the saddle of Aaron's horse. Aaron would be coming with me to make sure I got there safely. As I mounted behind Aaron, I waved to my mother and Jack. Then, Aaron kicked his horse into a canter and we were off. 

Soon, we reached the town square. Only a few people were milling around at that time of morning. At one side of the square, I could see several tents set up, emblazoned with the Griffin Riders' symbol. I could see the man who had been in charge of the sign up, and the woman from last night. Slowly I sung off the horse and walked over, Aaron doing the same. I walked up to the woman.

"Ma'am," I said. "That's Lieutenant Berggs to you," she said, not looking up from the tent she appeared to be taking down. "Lieutenant Berggs," I tried again. 

Chapter to be Continued.

• Posted at:

Call me Dawn!

Female

~Queen of Books~

Homethread @349256

Library Nerd!

#Avidreader

#Lockwood&Co.

#SixofCrows

Weekly Quote:

Thumbnail avatar 17e80c08a7

brownlynx107

Lol Farmer Boi I love it. Awesome 

• Posted at:

Arl

(He/him)

Forum bro: Tiger

Dead 5 times.

The worst things in life

Come free to us

We're all under the upper hand

#NKT

dragonflyhawk130

Sorry about the abrupt To Be Continued...  I was working on it in free time during math class and then the bell rang. Completion of Chapter 2 should be in in about half an hour.

• Posted at:

Call me Dawn!

Female

~Queen of Books~

Homethread @349256

Library Nerd!

#Avidreader

#Lockwood&Co.

#SixofCrows

Weekly Quote:

dragonflyhawk130

Chapter 2 Completion

"That's Lieutenant Berggs to you," she said, not looking up from the tent she appeared to be taking down. "Lieutenant Berggs," I tried again. “Where would you like me to go?”

“That’s better,” she said, still not looking up. “Head over to the large red tent. The griffins and the Rider who is assigned to you will be over there.” She continued with her work and it became clear I had been dismissed. Walking a few steps away to where Aaron stood, I flung my arms around him. “I’ll miss you,” I whispered against his shirt. “I’ll miss you too,” he whispered back, his voice rough. “I promise to write,” I added. Before I could change my mind, I flung myself away from him and darted off towards the red tent, my saddle bags grasped tightly in my hand.

• Posted at:

Call me Dawn!

Female

~Queen of Books~

Homethread @349256

Library Nerd!

#Avidreader

#Lockwood&Co.

#SixofCrows

Weekly Quote:

dragonflyhawk130

Next chapter will be in sometime tommorow.

• Posted at:

Call me Dawn!

Female

~Queen of Books~

Homethread @349256

Library Nerd!

#Avidreader

#Lockwood&Co.

#SixofCrows

Weekly Quote:

bump!

• Posted at:

Alex Winter Connix

Percy Jackson 4 EVA!!

PERSASSY JACKSON AND PERCABETH 4 EVA!!

IMA DEMIGOD!!

PERCY: I DONT WANNA DRINK FIRE WATER ANNABETH

ANNABETH: YOU WANNA LIVE DONT YOU PERCY?

PERCY: UMMMM YEAH.

ANNABETH: THEN DRINK IT!!

#PERCABETH

dragonflyhawk130

Can't do the next chapter today, too busy, will get it up this weekend.

• Posted at:

Call me Dawn!

Female

~Queen of Books~

Homethread @349256

Library Nerd!

#Avidreader

#Lockwood&Co.

#SixofCrows

Weekly Quote:

bump!!!!!!!!!

• Posted at:

Alex Winter Connix

Percy Jackson 4 EVA!!

IMA DEMIGOD!!

#PERCABETH

dragonflyhawk130

Halfway through the chapter now... I swear it will be up by tomorrow morning. 

• Posted at:

Call me Dawn!

Female

~Queen of Books~

Homethread @349256

Library Nerd!

#Avidreader

#Lockwood&Co.

#SixofCrows

Weekly Quote:

DAWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU FORGOT USSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!! DO THE NEXT CHAPTER PLZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-ALEX

• Posted at:

Alex Winter Connix

Percy Jackson 4 EVA!!

IMA DEMIGOD!!

#PERCABETH

Thumbnail avatar 275ff6f1a2

cyclonecandy39

Bookmark. (so I can read later)

• Posted at:

Fiona/Elia/☆☆ ɆⱠɆ₵₮Ɽł₵ ʀǟɨռ ☆☆ (Call me any)

Local RP Person! 

I'a Hufflepuff

'Call me a schemer, call me a freak. How can you say that? I'm just... unique.' -Mal (Descendants)

I'm Rotten to the Core