Thumbnail avatar 00c940725c

lavenderdawn69

(Don't worry, folks, I'm going to get that modern fairytale story out soon. I just need to develop it further and give it a name first.

In the meantime, enjoy this story I made up while developing the previous story I was talking about.)

Chapter 1

There were lots of people boarding the train in a train station. Some were racing and pushing people to get in, while others were struggling to pull their heavy suitcase across the station floor. Still others were just calmly walking inside the train, or yelling at one of the people who pushed them.

When inside the train, the passengers went either inside another compartment or stayed in the compartment they were at. After they found their seat, they sat in it and got their tickets out. The conductor gathered them up as he walked from compartment to compartment, always stretching out his arm and saying the same thing:

"Tickets?"

In a peculiar twist, the conductor was not a man, but a 12 year old boy. And yet, no one had said a thing about it.

The boy was wearing the typical outfit you'd see on a conductor:Blue cap with the express's name on the center in gold letters, black rimmed glasses, blue jacket, blue shirt underneath, blue tie, blue pants, black shoes. His brown eyes looked calm and composed, and his brown hair was properly trimmed and brushed. He had pale skin, and despite his age and height, he had the same professional air that an adult conductor did.

After collecting all of the tickets and wishing the passengers a safe trip, the conductor went back to his place in the train, stuck his head out, and said,

"All aboard!"

WHOO! WHOO!

Daniel woke up with a start, and was taken greatly aback by the sight outside his window.

For there outside in the middle of his yard was a big train with a note on it that was facing right in front of Daniel and his little sister on the other side of the bed, Alexa. It was fuzzy, and Daniel didn't know if it was there or he was still dreaming, but that was what he saw.

"Are you seeing what I'm seeing!?" Daniel heard Alexa squeak out.

Daniel looked at Alexa.

The girl had brown hair and pale skin like her older brother. However, unlike him, her hair was long and she had blue eyes, which were both inherited from their mother. She was wearing pajamas like Daniel, but hers had pink flowers on them while his had blue horizontal stripes.

"I think so!" Daniel replied to his little sister.

The boy got out of bed and raced to the shelf that had his glasses on top of it. After he used the stepstool to reach his glasses, he put them on and looked back out the window, only to still see the train.

However, one thing was different. This time, a piece of paper was on the window. The piece of paper had handwriting on it, and Daniel didn't need to read the name at the end to know it was their late grandfather's writing.

"Grandpa!?" Daniel and Alexa exclaimed at the same time. They then looked at each other, surprised that they had said the same thing at the same time.

Shrugging it off, Daniel jumped off the stepstool. To feel safe in the dead of the night, both him and Alexa grabbed their toys, which were a stuffed animal clouded leopard and toy octopus you can slap on your arm and two of its arms would wrap around it respectively named Strata and Inkwell for Daniel, and a stuffed animal otter wearing a green cloak and holding a lute named River for Alexa. Daniel then slapped Inkwell onto his arm and him and Alexa were off.

When Daniel and Alexa were racing outside to go to the letter, Daniel looked back at Alexa and saw her tightly holding River.

"What, are you really that much of a baby to carry a stuffed animal everywhere you go?" He said, barely holding back his laughter.

"Says the 12 year old boy who's currently carrying more stuffed animals than I am," Alexa said, unphased.

Daniel blushed out of embarassment.

"Be quiet!" He exclaimed. Despite trying to sound mad, he started looking left and right to make sure no one saw him with his toys.

Alexa saw this and giggled.

Soon, the two got to the letter. Daniel grabbed it, turned it around, and started reading at a whisper so the neighbors wouldn't hear him. Alexa huddled closer to him so she could hear.

"Dear Daniel and Alexa," Daniel read.

"Ever since I went up to Heaven, I have had a feeling that you two were wondering how I am doing and what it is like up here.

"I am doing fine, and Heaven really is a wondrous place. I won't say a whole lot in order to make you surprised when you get up there, but I will say this. All that you have heard about it is true, except for the part that angels have wings.

"The train in the yard is a gift from me. Only you can see and experience it with the five senses, and it has the ability to go into any book you want it to go into. It's also able to make your toys come to life, so you can have some companions while you have your adventures. The train drives itself, and will go inside any book that's in front of its tracks.

"I would have given it to you on either one of your birthdays, but I was super busy during that time. Well, it's better late than never, I guess!

"The boss and I have gathered up all of the books I have enjoyed and you two have enjoyed throughout our lifetimes and stored in this train, as well as some new books the boss is sure you'll like.

"Have fun, and stay safe. Grandpa."

Daniel's and Alexa's face broke out into large smiles. This was awesome!

"I'm going to get a book before you do!" Daniel said, racing inside one of the compartments.

"Not if I get one first!" Alexa said, racing after Daniel.

• Posted at:

Please tell us why you'd like to report this post

Lavender/Iria

ASLAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!,you'd make a great teacher.

My gang:Strawberry Shortcake, Plum Pudding, Lemon Meringue, Blueberry Muffin, Raspberry Torte, Ginger Snap

The world changes,nature shrivels but also blooms,yet we stay strong.

lavenderdawn69

Chapter 2

Daniel put down Strata and picked up a book, looking at its cover. The inside of the compartment was dark, with the only light being from the moon and stars that showed themselves outside the train's windows.

The book was book about trains, and was called, The Beginner's Guide To Trains. On the cover was a train going down a railroad track. There was grass to the left and the right of it, and there was also a mountain and sprawling hills to the right of it. The dark gray smoke pouring from the train was contrasted against a blue sky, and the title of the book was on the bottom and side of the book in red letters.

Daniel was about to call out to his sister, who now was on the other side of a seat he was facing, that he found the book they were going to enter when his thoughts were interrupted by a voice that sounded like it was coming from his arm.

"Your eyes remind me of coconuts. I like that. I like coconuts," The voice said.

Daniel looked at his arm to find two black eyes staring right at him in the darkness.

"AHHH!" Daniel screamed.

"AHHH!" The body that owned the eyes screamed.

"AHHHH!" Daniel screamed again.

"AHHHH!" The body screamed again.

"AHHHHH!" Daniel screamed for the third time.

"AHH- wait. What are we screaming about again?" The body asked, confused.

Suddenly, light filled the room and Daniel could see the body that the eyes belonged to.

"Inkwell!?" Daniel asked no one in particular, bewildered and shocked. "How are you alive!?"

"Well, first I fell through a hole into here, and then monkeys came in and put together my brain and put it upside down inside my head-"

"Um, what?" Daniel said in confusion, tilting his head. "Inkwell, I'm sorry, but you're not making any sense!"

"It makes sense to me," Inkwell replied, mirroring Daniel.

"Didn't Grandpa say in his letter that the train makes our toys come to life so we could have companions on our adventures?" Alexa interrupted.

Daniel and Inkwell looked at Alexa, who was next to a light switch and still holding River..

"Oh, yeah!" Daniel said, remembering the letter. "I forgot that part!"

"It's a good thing we both know how to read hieroglyphics," Inkwell stated with a smile on his face. "Otherwise, we wouldn't have known what it said!"

Daniel and Alexa just stared at Inkwell like he had grown an extra head. All of a sudden, RIver looked at both Daniel and Alexa and tilted his head.

"Is it just me, or is Inkwell not making a lick of sense?" He asked the siblings.

Daniel and Alexa turned their wide eyed stare to River. There was a long silence.

"Well, this is awkward," River said, feeling slightly uncomfortable. He then waved one of his paws. "Um, hi?"

There was a sudden soft noise of cloth hitting the floor, and Daniel looked down at the ground to see Strata hurrying underneath the seat she was on.

"Okay then," Daniel said, a grin forming on his face. "This is something we're certainly going to have to get used to."

"You said it," Alexa agreed.

Many minutes later, River and Inkwell were helping Daniel and Alexa find a book they wanted to go into. The two toys and the siblings went to many seats and picked out many books, but the siblings couldn't seem to agree on one.

"How about this one?" River asked, holding up another book about trains.

Daniel's face broke into a wide smile. Alexa saw that and rolled her eyes.

"Books about trains are boring," She complained. "I don't want a bunch of boring facts. I want magic and action and princes rescuing princesses!"

Daniel's smile vanished and he turned to Alexa.

"Facts aren't boring! They're cool!" He said to her.

"No, they're boring!" Alexa said back.

"No they aren't!" Daniel shouted.

"Yes they are!" Alexa exclaimed.

"No they aren't!"

"Yes they are!"

River and Inkwell looked at each other. They both didn't want the two siblings to get into a fight.

"No they-"

"Woah, woah," River interrupted Daniel. "I know that you're angry right now, but no one wants to start a fight. Take a deep breath and calm down. I could play a song on my lute if that helps."

River plucked the strings on his lute, making it play the first note of a song.

"How about this one?" Inkwell asked Daniel and Alexa, raising a book high in his tentacles. "It looks to be a nice book about a kid playing in the waves. Look, see? It's sunny and he's going to a castle underwater!"

The book in question, at least in Daniel's, Alexa's, and River's eyes, was not like Inkwell's description at all. Sure, there was a kid in some water, but he didn't look like he was playing in the waves. In fact, it looked like he was standing in it. The water was dark and was up past the kid's knees, and the sky looked stormy. Lightning appeared next to the top of a tall building, and a city was in front of the kid. The book's title, The Lightning Thief, was at the top of the cover and on the side of the book.

Daniel's and Alexa's faces broke into a huge smile.

"Perfect!" They said at the same time.

• Posted at:

Lavender/Iria

My gang:Strawberry Shortcake, Plum Pudding, Lemon Meringue, Blueberry Muffin, Raspberry Torte, Ginger Snap

Thumbnail avatar 17e80c08a7

brownlynx107

hmmmmmmmmmmmm never read that book before

• Posted at:

Arl

(He/him)

Forum bro: Tiger

Dead 5 times.

The worst things in life

Come free to us

We're all under the upper hand

#NKT

lavenderdawn69

@Arl:It's a pretty good book!

Do you like the story so far?

• Posted at:

Lavender/Iria

lavenderdawn69

Chapter 3

Daniel placed the book in front of the train and ran back inside it. Then he and everyone else looked expectantly at Inkwell, who was on Daniel's arm again.

"Are you sure this is going to work?" Daniel asked him.

Inkwell looked uncertain.

"Does a tree make a noise when it falls and there's no one around to hear it?" Inkwell asked.

"Ooh! A riddle!" River exclaimed excitedly. "I love riddles!"

River put his head on his paw and got into a thinking pose as everyone looked at him.

"Hmm..." He said, thinking. "I'm not too sure about that one-"

"That's what I said," Inkwell said, a bit frustrated. "I'm not too sure if it'll work, but we could try it."

"Then why didn't you just say that?" Daniel asked, everyone's attention turned back to Inkwell.

"I did!" Inkwell said to Daniel, even more frustrated.

Suddenly, the train started to move forward. Almost everyone fell back into a seat and was forced agaisnt the back of it, while Strata was forced to the back of the compartment and was tightly held there by the force of the train.

The train whistle blew, and loud sounds of the train moving were heard.

"What's going on!?" Alexa yelled above all the noise.

"I have no idea!" River yelled back, forcing his head to turn towards Alexa.

"Help!" Strata yelped.

All of a sudden, the five felt the train going downwards, with them going along with it. There was a flash of colors, and then everything went black.

• Posted at:

Lavender/Iria

Thumbnail avatar d9268bcca1

dragonflyhawk130

Bookmark!

• Posted at:

Call me Dawn!

Female

~Queen of Books~

Homethread @349256

Library Nerd!

#Avidreader

#Lockwood&Co.

#SixofCrows

Weekly Quote:

"Be a voice, not an echo." - Unknown

lavenderdawn69

(Sorry for the long wait, guys!)

Chapter 4

"Ugh... what happened? Why did it feel like we were going down a colorful rabbit hole?"

"I don't think that a rabbit hole is large enough for a train to go down it, Inkwell."

"It isn't?"

This conversation was the first one Daniel heard when he woke up. His head hurt, and when he moved his body, it felt like he was peeling it off his seat.

When he looked around, he saw that Inkwell, who was still on his arm, and River were talking to each other, them being equally confused by the other. What concerned him was that both Alexa and Strata were still unconscious.

"Is Alexa okay?" He interrupted River, who was next to Alexa and still talking to Inkwell.

River stopped talking and looked at Alexa. An expression of concern came over his face.

"Alexa? Are you alright?" He asked.

"A few more minutes, please," Alexa murmured.

River relaxed his expression and looked at Daniel.

"She's fine," He said to him.

Daniel let out a sigh of relief. What Alexa just said was the thing she usually muttered to her mom when she didn't want to go to school yet. That was good. The fact that she said anything meant she was still alive.

After that, Daniel got up and went to Strata, worried if she was also okay. Inkwell, when he saw Strata, got worried as well and unattached himself from Daniel. Then he crawled off the boy and went over to Strata.

Inkwell nudged Strata with one of his tentacles.

"Strata?" He said in a low, concerned voice that Daniel had never heard from the odd toy octopus before. "Are you alright?"

When Strata didn't respond, Inkwell looked even more concerned.

"Please tell me you are," He said with the same tone of voice. "None of us want you to be dead, especially not Daniel. Could you at least wake up for Daniel's sake? I can't stand the thought that Daniel would lose a friend he didn't even get the chance to know. Please wake up."

A few seconds passed, and Strata still hadn't woke up yet. Then, while Daniel and Inkwell were holding their breaths, Strata opened her eyes and groaned.

"Strata!" Daniel exclaimed, scooping Strata into his arms and hugging her close. Inkwell let go of his breath and smiled as he watched the two embrace.

Unfortunately for the little toy clouded leopard, Daniel was hugging too tightly for her own comfort.

"Daniel," She said softly. "I can't breathe."

"Oh, sorry," Daniel said and put Strata down on the floor next to Inkwell.

"I'm just glad you're alright," Inkwell said, one of his tentacles wrapping around Strata for a gentler hug.

"Me too!" Daniel said, grinning.

Strata, who wasn't used to so much attention, was a bit uncomfortable.

"Well, I-" She started before she was interrupted by a piercing scream.

Alexa woke up with a start.

"What was that!?" She asked no one in particular.

"It sounds like someone's in trouble!" Strata exclaimed.

Strata began to run to the front of the train where the exit was, with the others following her. When everyone went through the exit, they were right in the path of a teenage boy with trotters for feet and furry hindquarters who looked afraid for his life.

The group of five got out of the boy's way and almost stumbled when they landed on fine sand and not the side of the train. In fact, when the five looked around, the train wasn't there and there was a book in the middle of the sand. Daniel picked up the book.

"Where's the train?" Alexa asked, confused.

"I have no idea!" Daniel replied over the heavy rain and occasional thunder.

He looked at the book, which was the same book as the one they had entered:The Lightning Thief.

The others noticed it, too.

"So we did go inside the book!" Alexa exclaimed.

"Yeah, we did!" Daniel exclaimed. "Which means that we're on the same beach Percy was at and the teenager who was running towards us was Grover!"

"And we get to meet Percy Jackson!" Alexa said, excited. "This is going to be so cool!"

• Posted at:

Lavender/Iria

Thumbnail avatar 9d742775b7

liondragon3229

Cool. The idea of going into the book with a train kind of reminds me a movie I saw once. I just don’t remember the name. I can’t wait to for chapter 5! 

• Posted at:

can't think of anything  put here.