Thumbnail avatar 8026f974b5

tsunamininja5

Why is that such a sin?

• Posted at:

Please tell us why you'd like to report this post

- Lahash -

Also known as Samurai

Est. January 2014

Author of the Path of Legends series - coming 2020!

"Fear not in this Time of Chaos, this War of Darkness. For on the horizon, there shines a light, a light brighter than any before . . ."

Thumbnail avatar b940f5abfd

crowsoul50

I don’t think it’s an inherently bad thing. 

• Posted at:

ISHMAEL

August 2017 — March 2019

13,035 stars uwu

When it’s time for you to venture out, don’t let fear have you looking back at what you’re leaving behind. 

Thumbnail avatar 0c77593b2c

thunderstormdragon584

It's automatically linked to being egotistical, I think.  I think it's fine, since writing is also supposed to allow you to express yourself.

• Posted at:

Saemian

Cupcakes are muffins that believed in miracles.

Be a pineapple; stand tall, wear a crown, and be sweet on the inside.

I believe basing a character based on yourself is ok, but it's a bad thing when you give said character everything.

For instance, if you used a self-insert (as I think they're commonly called) in a fanfiction of your favourite series, and completely destroyed canon of said series so that the self insert could end up with your favourite character or so that they could save the day, that's when it's frowned upon.

But if you're basing a character off of yourself for perhaps your own original stories (or for anything, so long as you don't do anything like the example I just said), then I don't think there's a problem with it. So long as you treat them like every other character.

• Posted at:

Verity

Thank you all for everything.

/357163

Thumbnail avatar 78fd0cb33b

wolfwerewolf17219

i make my apperance and and some traits about my myself. Sometimes i will do my age but..... i like me!

• Posted at:

(Sister)

Darmidnight

a

w

night

acApTiAMaRvEl

With..BlackWing, Willin,Amber Eye, and..ugh my flipside Midnight

I play

Soccer

Tennis

Football

Fencing

Archery

My dream

pro soccer player

to go to west point

an author

If you believe, you can do it!

tsunamininja5

Interesting...

My character Ruby is essentially me (with less masculinity), so that's part of why I asked.

• Posted at:

- Lahash -

Also known as Samurai

Est. January 2014

"Fear not in this Time of Chaos, this War of Darkness. For on the horizon, there shines a light, a light brighter than any before . . ."

Thumbnail avatar b7d99bda52

powerfulwolf250

because characters based off ourselves tend to be more perfect than they truly are, which is where mary sue comes from. often, it's fine - every character is, to an extent, based off of ourselves and our experience. however, if you're writing a story, it's best not to give your character all your traits because it's viewed as a self-insert, or the character seems too perfect to be human. we have a bias when talking about ourselves, to leave out our bad traits or, at the very least, subconsciously accentuate our good ones.

• Posted at:

TALON

INTP-

FEMALE  

VIRGO

"I'm not the one who's lost with no direction, but you'll never see."Thanks for the memories, everyone. I'll miss you all.

tsunamininja5

@Talon

I never leave out my bad traits if I base a character off of me . . . heck, half the story wouldn't exist without Ruby's bad traits.

• Posted at:

- Lahash -

Also known as Samurai

Est. January 2014

Thumbnail avatar 29f5a0b9df

amberpegasus203

There's nothing wrong with putting aspects of yourself into a character. It's just that if you're not careful, it can mess up things pretty badly.

• Posted at:

Raven Tsakaryn

~est. April 2014~

Oh, how I've missed you, my friend...

Time has changed us both.

But deep down, our hearts remain the same.

So, no matter where life takes us, remember...

Thumbnail avatar 42967d5310

amberdolphin1210

I base a character off me because I have that feeling of, "How I'd do it." and I forget how the character would do it unless the character's just like me.

• Posted at:

Amber.

Miraculer

Whovian!

I'm from the 39 clues website!

Forum Twins: Fiona and Jaiden

I'm A Jehovah's Witness.

Check out my RPs! the 39 clues, Vespers RP. Children of Bigfoot RP, Limited Spots

leave a message at the beep, unless it's bad news BEEP

Thumbnail avatar 971efb7c8a

mermaidvulcan14

Perhaps it's easier to come up with characters that are "better" than you. Personally, I only base character designs off of myself because I'm not visually creative, but I create more diverse/interesting characters. I've been pulling away from characters looking like me in recent years.

• Posted at:

Syalla

Sub 2 Pewdiepie

G A M E R S, R I S E  U P

Sned help

Me Me BIG Disappointment

Remember Stefan (Robbie Rotten), Stan Lee and Stephan Hillenburg

I.S. ruined Fire Emblem

Wait, am I supposed to put something edgy and/or thought provoking here?

Thumbnail avatar 0ec67d03c4

darkheart838

I have a tendency to base characters off of myself, minus my very obvious look issues.....yeah, I'm not very self-confident. I usually try to make my characters look like me but be way better than I could ever be.

• Posted at:

❦ᒚᗩᕲ| ᕲᗩᖇᖽᐸ❦

α ԋҽαɾƚ σϝ ʂƚҽҽʅ ρʅαƚҽԃ ɠσʅԃ 

ɳσ ૨αเɳ, ɳσ ƒσωε

GryffindoProud

Credit to Jokester for amazing siggy :D

Thumbnail avatar b162f9c21d

dreamtimecrow55

Characters based off yourself get a bad reputation from those who just go overboard with a self insert, and just throw them into whatever canon and do whatever, as someone (sorry im tired and forgot to check names) already mentioned 

plus if every character you make is completely based on you, then you dont get a lot of diversity in what you can do, as you limit yourself to your own experiance. Its nice to broaden your horizions if you make lots and lots of characters. 

But theres nothing inherently wrong with giving a character certain traits of your own. One of my favorite characters i’ve made, Katari, started completely as a projection of my bad traits and such, and slowly developed from there. A lot of my characters have some aspects of me, which makes me able to relate to some of their experiances, but i still make sure they are their own person with likes and intrests that perhaps dont align with my own. Its just keeping that balance, especially if you’re not good at playing characters that are super diffrent from yourself 

• Posted at:

__Reve_Elysium__

They/Them || Gay || Leo

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"We all cry in mascara, it happens." ☾  

→Jenna Marbles←

⦊ Artist

⦊ Roleplayer

⦊ Character Design & World building

⦊ High Concentration of uwu

Thumbnail avatar b7d99bda52

powerfulwolf250

of course, however, you need to really be careful when basing a character off your personality/looks. especially if it gets published. most readers hate when a character is essentially a self-insert because it makes them harder to relate to (some of the time, not all of the time)

so long as you work to keep a balance, making a character based off yourself is okay, so long as it won't be getting, y'know, published - if it does, you'd probably need to make a few changes to the appearance.

• Posted at:

TALON

INTP-

FEMALE  

VIRGO

"I'm not the one who's lost with no direction, but you'll never see."Thanks for the memories, everyone. I'll miss you all.

Thumbnail avatar 78fd0cb33b

wolfwerewolf17219

I agree with all of. Some of my characters have my apperance and some have my personality but i don't do my exact personality or apperance because that is almost saying your last name...

• Posted at:

(Sister)

Darmidnight

a

w

night

acApTiAMaRvEl

With..BlackWing, Willin,Amber Eye, and..ugh my flipside Midnight

I play

Soccer

Tennis

Football

Fencing

Archery

My dream

pro soccer player

to go to west point

an author

If you believe, you can do it!

Thumbnail avatar 8bf0113d39

dogdragon1303

I don't necessarily base characters off of myself but I do have a one or two characters that I gave a few similar traits, specifically flaws. An example would be one of my characters named Dominic. I gave him some anger issues because at the time that I made him up I was struggling with the same thing and I personally found him more of a relatable character that I personally connected with more easily. However, I don't usually do things like that. I try to limit it to one similar flaw, and something that many readers can connect to. So in summary I'm not a huge fan of "self-inserts" but I do think that it's okay to give a character a relatable trait or flaw if others can relate as well. It isn't much fun if it's just you who can relate (unless it's something only you are gonna see).

The only time I cannot stand self inserts is in fan fiction

• Posted at:

Embyr

Proud Christian!

Send a fully armed battalion

Acting the goat

I'd rather stand with God, and be judged by the world, than stand with the world, and be judged by God.

Proud member of Mrs. Wolfe's Haven (RP)!

//hiss hiss Slytherin//

tsunamininja5

It's getting published but I'm ugly, why would I base Ruby's appearance off mine XD

• Posted at:

- Lahash -

Also known as Samurai

Est. January 2014