Thumbnail avatar 7e99905417

tornadowave90

Sorry I've been away so long. I've been incredibly busy with schoolwork... I was extremely tired while I wrote this, so criticism is appreciated. Thanks.

This essay is about the advice Atticus gave to Jem and Scout in To Kill A Mockingbird.

In To Kill A Mockingbird, Atticus gave a great many pieces of advice to Scout and Jem. The novel by Harper Lee follows Scout, who was the six year old daughter of a lawyer (Atticus). Throughout the book, Scout and her brother Jem (Jeremy) face many difficulties since their father was defending an African American man in court. He gave them advice on how to understand people, how to “fight” with their heads, and seeing the good in people. He hoped this to bring about help for the children through these troubles. Atticus tried to give meaningful advice that would help them not just throughout the time of the trial, but the rest of their lives. When Atticus took the time to teach his children values on understanding people around them, using words rather than aggression, and seeing the good in people, it obviously had an extremely strong positive impact on the kids.

The third chapter of the novel depicts some advice from Atticus that is frequently looked back on from the entire book. While Scout was upset about Miss Caroline’s disapproval of her reading skills, Atticus told her that “You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view… until you climb into his skin and walk around in it.” (Lee, 39). Throughout all of To Kill A Mockingbird, Scout and Jem nearly always considered how other people felt. This cause them to understand much more than the average children their age, gaining themselves a great deal of maturity. If Atticus failed to produce this advice for the children, the entirety of the book would have changed drastically, as the kids (especially Scout) would have only thought of themselves.

Another piece of advice Atticus gave to Scout and Jem was critical, even for their own safety. After Scout beat up her schoolmate Cecil Jacobs, Atticus told her for the second time not to fight. “Try fighting,” Atticus told her “with your head for a change.” (Lee, 101). This piece of advice was extremely effective to the children. The day following this specific event, Scout stopped herself from beating Cecil again, even when he proceeded to call her a coward. She told herself that she did it for Atticus, and with his key input, the children avoided several future conflicts. Because of the advice about fighting with one’s head from Atticus, Jem and Scout averted multiple clashes, therefore it placed a very good influence on them.

One of the last pieces of strong advice Atticus gave the children in the novel was about seeing the good in people. Scout, whilst trying to prove to Atticus that she had listened to his reading, said that a character who throughout the book  was considered bad was actually “very nice”. In response, Atticus told her that “Most people are, Scout, when you finally see them.” (Lee, 376). While the novel ended shortly after this, Atticus had insinuated the theme throughout the entirety of the book. Jem and Scout tried with the best of their ability to see the good in everyone, and even managed to see through some of the racism around them. This idea given by Atticus clearly had a good impact on Jem and Scout, as they used it throughout the entire novel, and would most likely continue to do so.

Clearly the advice consistently given to Jem and Scout by Atticus had a very positive impact on them. He taught them to consider life from a different person’s view, helping them to further understand why others acted the way they did. Atticus also showed the kids how important it was to not physically fight people, but use their minds instead. Finally, he taught the children how to see the good in all people, even the most unexpected. When all is considered, the advice Atticus gave to the kids positively affected them in every way possible. What a parent teaches their child will stay with them and lend a hand in determining their behaviour for the rest of their lives.

• Posted at:

Please tell us why you'd like to report this post

♪♪  ꧁《tσrnαdσ》꧂♪♪

☆We have a reputation of failure to uphold!☆

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

Why are you still reading this...? Scroll down!

INTJ

Tornado's Inactivity? Band. Hotel? Trivago.

NOTHING EVER LASTS FOREVER.

Thumbnail avatar e7f1e7d714

topazhamster42

Where did my post go? Aww, I proof read your essay and everything

• Posted at:

Please tell us why you'd like to report this post

~Topaz

*I have returned!*

The world's not falling apart, its falling into place. We see only a few pieces of the puzzle while the creator sees them all.

Proud  Christian

Jw|K|Jx|S|B

#Remember the Lost

#Moresigspace

Jade = twin

2019 is a green bean