Small image from ios  1  19a7f48469

Brrr-cky B : admin

The next Home Base update will be coming later in March!

*Please read this entire post before commenting*

We are adding Content Creation features to Home Base. This will include an updated forum called the Newsfeed where you will be able to write and share posts, respond to others, and heart your favorites. You will also be able to create comics! The comic creator will contain tons of images from our series - you can mix and match it and add your own text. Will there be caption contests? Heckin’ yes.

comic 

Phil will officially hand things over to his son, Phil Jr aka Lil Phil

Along with content creation comes an entirely new moderation system built into Home Base. You’ve already seen this a little bit with the chat. With this new system, we have control over what is and isn’t shared within Home Base in a more hands-on way. There will be a new filter as well as a dedicated human mod squad who will read and approve or remove your posts.

This means there will be far fewer confusing or mistaken filtrations, as we'll have a better understanding of context. When there are mistakes we can update the filter easily, as you've already seen us do when book terms or in-game terms get blocked in chat. This change is something I’m really excited about - and you’ve been waiting a long time for something like this.

Ok...what does this mean for the current forums?

This has been a long discussion amongst everyone on the team who’s been a part of the forums for the near decade they’ve been around. In the end, it became clear that the forums needed to evolve. They just aren’t working in their current state for a bunch of reasons, many of which you've unfortunately had to deal with over the years as they've gotten older and older. This meant either getting rid of them entirely, building new forums on the site, or building new forums into Home Base. We decided that the future of the forums will be within Home Base, and the current forums will retire.

This is for a few reasons:

1.) The current forums are so, so old and broken in many ways that are pretty unfixable at this point. Remember that time no one could post for 12 hours for seemingly no reason? Glitchy stuff happens, and we just can’t figure it out or fix it.

2.) All the features of the forums will be in Home Base, plus more. It will also be much easier for us to change, update, and fix things in the future - it's significantly easier for us to update things within the game infrastructure than outside it. We’re looking into features like auto-messages that explain why a post was rejected, gaining/losing trust in chat so trusted players are rewarded with a freer filter, building in better video & livestream functionality on the admin-end so we can do Q&As with authors etc. 

3.) Why couldn't we build updated forums outside Home Base? In the end it comes down to limited resources. Building two separate New Things instead of one unified new thing and bringing the new filter to both of them (even if we didn't have a Newsfeed in Home Base, chat is just necessary for an online game like this) would end up with both spaces feeling much worse. 

One example of a new feature: you'll be able to tag your posts by series (don't worry, we will add more than this) and browse posts based on tags. A different, more helpful meaning of "filter"!

**Note: Only admins will be able to upload videos.** 

filter

At the end of March, the forums are scheduled to go into read-only mode: you will be able to go through your posts and save your work, but you won’t be able to create any new posts.

Later in the spring the entire kids site will be replaced, and the forums will be gone. I don’t have the exact date for this, but I recommend you take this month to save your work!

I know it's frustrating not to have exact dates for any of this. As soon as I have them, I'll update here, and once the Newsfeed is available, within Home Base as well.

I know some of you will be sad or mad about this, or maybe just feel conflicted. I understand. This is something new replacing what you're familiar with. That’s why we’re working really hard to make sure this feels like a natural evolution. I hope alongside the sadness you also feel excitement for the updates we're able to make and the future of all this.

I’ll be honest: at first it will be a transitionary period and it will be tumultuous. The initial Newsfeed features will seem pretty basic. There will be bugs. You’ll be annoyed that we couldn’t keep the web forums around simultaneously until we have all the kinks worked out. There are some of you who might have more trouble accessing the game than the web forums. We recognize all these things. Will it be more frustrating than when Phil doesn’t let any of your posts through for half a day? It might be, at times. It’ll take a few months, but we’ve devoted our team to the future of Home Base, making it more accessible, and making it, well, awesome. It will be worth it.

I’m a nerd so I think of this like upgrading to an advanced class in a role-playing game: you’re starting over at level 1 so the beginning is rough, but by the end you’re much stronger than you ever would have been if you’d stayed as the early class. Then you can defeat the ancient evil and save the world. That’s my metaphor and I’m sticking to it.

If you decide this change is just too much and you move elsewhere - you’ll be missed, and I hope you've made some great memories in this place (and come back to visit sometimes!) I also completely understand if the transition itself is too stressful to be around for, but you come back once things have settled a bit.

While this will be a blank slate for you to pioneer, you have months if not years of experience being part of this community. You can grow this new space on the foundation of what you’ve all built here, and I’d love your help in getting it ready. Any tutorials on creating original characters, RPs, worldbuilding, general writing tips, etc. that you want to share once the Newsfeed is launched - please do. I hope you bring your current RPs, FWRPs, stories, and chat threads into Home Base so you can continue them there. We're on this new journey together and I'm here to be your voice to the rest of the team. Any concerns, feedback, etc. please let me know.

I’m sure you’ll have questions about this, please ask away! 

Here's what you can expect:

newsfeed

**Note: Your avatar will go above your username by your post. It won't just be empty white space.

In the Newsfeed you can:

-View your own posts

-View most recent posts

-Bookmark posts

-View your friends posts

-Filter posts by content type and book series

Beyond this update, we're planning:

-Home Island: Exactly what it sounds like, this is your personal Home Base in Home Base! You’ll have a house you can decorate with a new suite of furniture items we’ll be adding. You’ll have your own personal bookcase where you can add books you want to remember to read, that you’ve read, and that are your favorites. You’ll be able to invite friends over!

-Author events: Over the summer, we’ll be bringing authors in and having events in game. Whether it’s a video, a Q&A, them hanging out in the chat with you, or something else, you’ll get to interact with them in a whole new way.

-New islands: We’ve got some new islands in the works, which means new characters and events!

-New games: Some new WoF, Bad Guys, I Survived (and more!) minigames are in the works. They’re pretty darn fun and the game mechanics are all ones I think you’ll enjoy a lot. Some are types of games I’ve seen folks ask for so again, I think you'll be happy with the new minigames :)

-New items: over 50 new items for your avatar are coming in the new two months, better start saving up those tokens now. And then of course you can look forward to more over the summer + furniture items for your house!

-Some kind of Shrubbery Appreciation Outfit (Soon™)

• Posted at:

Please tell us why you'd like to report this post

Wings of Fire Book #12: The Hive Queen....it's out now!!

i like turtles

WoFMB: wingsoffire.scholastic.com/forums/topics/344922

SAMB: spiritanimals.scholastic.com/forums/topics/344060

39 Clues: doublecross.scholastic.com/forums/topics/344061

*pained, nervous laughter* wow that's the literal worst ever ever ever 

• Posted at:

cry hard

dance harder

Thumbnail avatar f5bda21c4d

happyhopeful24

holy guacamole 

• Posted at:

happeh  

people come into our lives for a reason

bringing something we must learn

we are led to those who help us most to grow

we help them in return

i don't know if i believe that's true

but i know i'm who i am today

because i knew you

Thumbnail avatar 86deefe954

butterflydusk44

hey y'all im gonna cry oof

• Posted at:

Ever After~

well mr. fox i know you've got a secret to tell

but folks, we live just to hear ourselves

keep talk, non stop

and it goes, until we know

know not what to say

Thumbnail avatar 1c2d65e82f

parakeetpanther60

am crying

• Posted at:

|+| Milo Dechire |+|

Conservative

Agnostic 

LGBTQ

TRANS

+~+~+~+~+

Heads or tails

Do you even know

Which side you're on?

And does it even matter

If they're on

The same coin?

Heroes always get remembered

But you know legends 

Never die

parakeetpanther60

There's no way to connect with friends that Isn't against scholastic rules.. :/

• Posted at:

|+| Milo Dechire |+|

Conservative

Agnostic 

LGBTQ

TRANS

+~+~+~+~+

Heads or tails

Do you even know

Which side you're on?

And does it even matter

If they're on

The same coin?

But you know legends 

Never die

Thumbnail avatar 611fb7f1d7

dogice169

can't you keep the forums up bad filter and all i never rilly minded the filter please!

• Posted at:

☃            ◕ ᴥ ◕  ❅             ☃

☁          Lilly  Cicle          ☁                    signature made on the 2/26/18           

Thumbnail avatar d7639406e5

crowsoul50

Y’all I don’t know if the mods have an actual say in the fate of this site or not, and like it or not it appears the decision has already been made. 

• Posted at:

ISHMAEL

August 2017 — March 2019

13,035 stars uwu

When it’s time for you to venture out, don’t let fear have you looking back at what you’re leaving behind. 

So no more forums?

• Posted at:

Owl Percyjacksonous Taco

Also here with,

Luna 

Luka

Nicki

Thumbnail avatar 08542ec81c

fairyaqua268

I’m crying. I just got back here and was feeling at home again and now it’s being stripped away.

I won’t let this get the best of me, and I just want to give a huge shoutout to the entirety of the SAMB, for helping me through hard times and giving me a place where I truly belong. 

Thank you all, and I wish you the best of lives. Don’t let anyone get you down. I’ll try to be on Home Base a bit, but no promises. Thank you all once again. 

*sends virtual hug*

• Posted at:

Lunar

and my flipside, Solar

#RememberTheSAMB

Proud Ravenclaw!    

n

dogice169

could you combin all the diferent forums posts in one plase and leve them up permenently?

and the was some old forums made short storys the were on pdf and were frome worlds colid i think there was 2 of them. that plase was colosed. i was wondering could you post the link so i could have them?

• Posted at:

☁          Lilly  Cicle          ☁                    signature made on the 2/26/18           

Thumbnail avatar 9a5932f5a3

ponyspicy6

will we have siggys in it?

I´m going to go freak out know *heads into a corner and has a panic attack*

• Posted at:

ⓈⓃⓌ-ⒺⓁⓎⒾⓊⓂ

☯she/her/weirdo☯

☯Anime\Manga\Book obsessed

☯"Now don't you understand...I'm never changing who I am.."-Imagine Dragons☯

☯Goddess of winter, nature, and art☯

Remember the lost☯

☯LGBTQ+ supporter

Rember the SAMB

dogice169

i have 15 pages of stuff i wood like to save all my post is there any way to transfer it all over to the new forums?

or any fast and ezy way to save them?

• Posted at:

Thumbnail avatar 08542ec81c

fairyaqua268

And I just got back here!! :(

can we we make an official SAMB discord??? Mods??? Please?  Just a thought

• Posted at:

Lunar

and my flipside, Solar

#RememberTheSAMB

Proud Ravenclaw!    

n

dogice169

just a fuw questyons 

1. will you be keeping any of the out sid forums?

2.will you still be keeping the spirit animals/39 clues/ horizon/tombquest/ games that are out side the forums?

3. can you mack it so theres a way for all your friends you had saved on the forums to be transfered to home base?

4. is there ANY way that we can keep the out side forums?????????

• Posted at:

parakeetpanther60

*Looks at Clev and Happeh* well you can't have Homebase on moble so... I'll miss y'all :/

• Posted at:

|+| Milo Dechire |+|

Conservative

Agnostic 

LGBTQ

TRANS

+~+~+~+~+

Heads or tails

Do you even know

Which side you're on?

And does it even matter

If they're on

The same coin?

But you know legends 

Never die

Thumbnail avatar 37d0055509

scarletdragon3016

So, guys...

I can't go onto Home Base. At all.

You guys want another site to meet up on?

-Galaxian-

• Posted at:

Ⱡ

₳

єχρσѕισи

ł

₳

₦

Est. June 2018

Stars: 4,967

God of Loyalty, Life, & Cosmos

We never know all the chances we lost

Until we lose them

~I guess it's almost time to say...

"Sayonara"~

Small image from ios  1  19a7f48469

Brrr-cky B : admin

It's definitely not an easy day, and if there's anything I can do to help please let me know. I can't keep the forums up (I know that would help the most).

Please let me know if you have any reasons why Home Base doesn't work for you, due to parental restrictions, school stuff, having an older PC or mobile devices, the game crashes for you, etc. It's not perfect but we are trying to make optimizations to the game so that it works better for more people. We've already floated some ideas about how to make the Newsfeed more accessible on it's own. It might take a while, but we're going to try our best to make this less painful over time. 

• Posted at:

Wings of Fire Book #12: The Hive Queen....it's out now!!

i like turtles

WoFMB: wingsoffire.scholastic.com/forums/topics/344922

SAMB: spiritanimals.scholastic.com/forums/topics/344060

39 Clues: doublecross.scholastic.com/forums/topics/344061

haha full offense but what the Hallmark cards

not only will this destroy memories but it will also decrease web traffic 

• Posted at:

cry hard

dance harder

dogice169

mis Brrr-cky B can you look at my posts on this topik and anser my questyuns?

and win i try to go on home base resontly the skreen gust stays gray?

• Posted at:

Thumbnail avatar 3ec3391dac

dragonwolf2982

This... This is awful. This is the worst possible.

Even if new forums are being created in home base, couldn't you keep the posts here archived somewhere? Sometimes older forumers that have left come back to see their old memories, but if they come back and everything is gone, well...

• Posted at:

Eternity EternaFlamCrandberrand Katrina

Bobcat Twin

Gang @/341306

#EternityIsAPancake

#OnlyOneSpeshalBubbles

#SaveIsaac2k18

#Deltasquad

UNDERTALE fan

Pegasister

Homestuckian

Icecream

"rAARRGH NO DARK LORD AARON" -Ocean 2k18

#RememberTheSAMB

Thumbnail avatar db756fcab7

artkitten320

noooo

• Posted at:

∆ Icicle

nerd | musical trash | INTJ-T | scorpio

"Now it's time to say goodbye

To the things we loved....

How the time seemed to fly."~RWBY

Thumbnail avatar 37d0055509

scarletdragon3016

For me, I'm on mobile--tablet. That means...no accessibility.

-Galaxian-

• Posted at:

Ⱡ

₳

єχρσѕισи

ł

₳

₦

Est. June 2018

Stars: 4,967

God of Loyalty, Life, & Cosmos

We never know all the chances we lost

Until we lose them

~I guess it's almost time to say...

"Sayonara"~

Thumbnail avatar 8026f974b5

tsunamininja5

in case my salty post didn't go through this is evil don't do this

• Posted at:

- Lahash -

Also known as Samurai

Est. January 2014

Author of the Path of Legends series - coming 2020!

"Fear not in this Time of Chaos, this War of Darkness. For on the horizon, there shines a light, a light brighter than any before . . ."

Thumbnail avatar 7aab741b8f

pinkpuppy1315

Dear mods- If you guys have a say in the fate of the forums, could you please please please at least archive them somehow? This forum has almost 5 years worth of memories for me, and I would hate to lose all of it. Even if I haven’t posted at all for a long time, there’s still way too many things for me

to archive, and I’m sure it’s the same way for a lot of other people. 

Also, could you possibly consider creating some kind of safe website where forumers can keep in touch? People who can’t use computers and don’t know their friends on any other website will have no way of contacting their forum friends, and that would be devestating for them. Sharing your username for another website is against the forum rules, so there’s really nothing they can do. If you could maybe create a simple mobile-friendly moderated chatroom type website, that would mean so much to us.

If this is too difficult then I understand, but please at least archive these things. Thank you.

• Posted at:

~Puppy Traitare-Hamiltonia~

(Demigirl ~ She/They)

Aka Spider Puppy, Dog Child, Yppup, Ghost Puppy, or Doggo

Gang:

Angelica Luise

Selena

Bliss!!!

Briggan

Mist

Violet

Flame

#IkilledNightRobin

SAMBer of the day: Aphrodite!

Thumbnail avatar 29f5a0b9df

amberpegasus203

...seriously?

it really is the end of an era, huh.

i mean

as glitchy and outdated this forum may be, we're still gonna miss it.

dearly.

(sigh) well at least we get a warning this time...

• Posted at:

Raven Tsakaryn

~est. April 2014~

Oh, how I've missed you, my friend...

Time has changed us both.

But deep down, our hearts remain the same.

So, no matter where life takes us, remember...

Thumbnail avatar 3f0ad30ef8

greenstorm25

...Welp, there goes my childhood.

• Posted at:

Waffle (Hart Traitare)

ISFP

She/her

Whovian

Hufflepuff

Socially inept

Perpetually tired, stressed, and confused

Proud member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints

yeehaw

parakeetpanther60

Homebase is unrealistic for many like me because we use our phones

• Posted at:

|+| Milo Dechire |+|

Conservative

Agnostic 

LGBTQ

TRANS

+~+~+~+~+

Heads or tails

Do you even know

Which side you're on?

And does it even matter

If they're on

The same coin?

But you know legends 

Never die

Thumbnail avatar e7f1e7d714

topazhamster42

NOOOOOO THIS CAN'T BE HAPPENING

I am literally crying right now.

• Posted at:

~Topaz

*I have returned!*

The world's not falling apart, its falling into place. We see only a few pieces of the puzzle while the creator sees them all.

Proud  Christian

Jw|K|Jx|S|B

#Remember the Lost

#Moresigspace

Jade = twin

2019 is a green bean

Thumbnail avatar f04ec13a2d

catamber1354

Wow.

When I came back I promised myself I wouldn't get too attatched to these forums because I was once almost addicted to this place. Apparently I broke that promise. Because I care about this. A lot.

I should have known. These forums have been dying in the past year.

• Posted at:

Forget all this stuff that I usually put here. The forums are ending so no one cares what's supposed to be here.

But this is what I want you all to remember: Be kind. You will have everything in life if you are kind.

Love you all.

~Windsong <3

Thumbnail avatar 8026f974b5

tsunamininja5

because the thread purge just wasn't enough for you, was it

and no, I don't care how rude that sounded. I'm very angry about this. first you deleted all of my memories on here, and now you're getting rid of this place for good?

congratulations, you made my day absolutely fantastic

• Posted at:

- Lahash -

Also known as Samurai

Est. January 2014

Author of the Path of Legends series - coming 2020!

"Fear not in this Time of Chaos, this War of Darkness. For on the horizon, there shines a light, a light brighter than any before . . ."

Thumbnail avatar d9268bcca1

dragonflyhawk130

...I don't even know what to say. It feels like just a few months ago that the forums were updated and we got a new look and everything. I guess as long as we still can communicate and have roleplayed on Homebase (which was what I gathered, correct me if I am wrong). *Internal screaming* 

• Posted at:

Call me Dawn!

Female

~Queen of Books~

Homethread @349256

Library Nerd!

#Avidreader

#Lockwood&Co.

#SixofCrows

Weekly Quote:

"Be a voice, not an echo." - Unknown

Thumbnail avatar e7f1e7d714

topazhamster42

Admins. YOU NEED TO MAKE HOMEBASE MOBILE

• Posted at:

~Topaz

*I have returned!*

The world's not falling apart, its falling into place. We see only a few pieces of the puzzle while the creator sees them all.

Proud  Christian

Jw|K|Jx|S|B

#Remember the Lost

#Moresigspace

Jade = twin

2019 is a green bean

Thumbnail avatar 67ce42604f

elfbrain270

Once News feed is launched, everyone who survived the SAMB apocalypse is to gather on one post and screech.

• Posted at:

twice as strong

still alive

we've made it this far

we know how to survive

~mills

Thumbnail avatar 12edd9a473

opaldragon1081

We can do a letter campaign. We an write letters to the president of scholastic and beg them to reconsider their decision. Help me save this please. Write a letter. That’s all it takes. Maybe if we all write a letter they will see how hard this is. 

• Posted at:

Obsidian

"If nothing ever changed, there would be no such thing as butterflies."

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read!"

"Two heads are better than one."

#moresigsp-

#Reilin4ever

What type of letters? spam letter everywhere? Count me in

• Posted at:

nightdagon or Skylark

only a fool tries to sit at the head of a round table

stendeval

I don't care what you call me as long as it isn't late for dinner

Only those that have a beginning have a ending

Thumbnail avatar d9268bcca1

dragonflyhawk130

Mods, will you also keep trying to get Homebase to work for everyone, please? It works for me, but it doesn't work for a lot of my friends and I think we all would really appreciate it if you could make it work for everyone so we don't have to lose all of those people forever. 

• Posted at:

Call me Dawn!

Female

~Queen of Books~

Homethread @349256

Library Nerd!

#Avidreader

#Lockwood&Co.

#SixofCrows

Weekly Quote:

"Be a voice, not an echo." - Unknown

Thumbnail avatar d7639406e5

crowsoul50

Guys homebase in on mobile in App Store and Google Play.

I know it's not much, but it's a start. I haven't tested this myself but if you get the puffin browser, then you might be able to access it that way as well. That's also an app

• Posted at:

ISHMAEL

August 2017 — March 2019

13,035 stars uwu

When it’s time for you to venture out, don’t let fear have you looking back at what you’re leaving behind. 

Thumbnail avatar f5c1cb7917

compasspaw43

Um, so, im crying a little. But that's ok. I'm really trying to stay positive here, but it's really difficult. But guess what? We are SAMBers. We are creative outside the box thinkers who overcome obstacles, that's what we do, and if we go into this with a negative attitude nothing will be good enough for us. 

Pros-

-better filter

-Possibly faster (??)

-Everyone in one place (also a con?)

-new fun stuff

Cons-

-leaving the SAMB

-leaving all the posts and memories 

-no longer being able to say your a part of the MB

-Everyone in one place (also a pro?)

-cant access on mobile 

*sniffle* I know this is an upsetting time for all of us, and we are very disappointed to not be able to call the SAMB our home for much longer. But we still have until the end of the month to post. And it doesn't matter what happens to the MB, because we are still SAMBers at heart and in mind. 

I think we would all be able to cope better, if we where given another months notice, but we weren't and there's nothing we can do about that. It would be better if there was access on mobile, but we can't do anything about that right now. Life's no fair, and we can't do anything to fix that. And sure, we've all got some colorful words for whoever thought this was a grand idea. Our best bet it to roll with the punches, adapt where we can, improvise where we can't. 

I know that many will be leaving, due to Home Base not being mobile friendly. Myself included. But I'm here for now, and I'm going to try to enjoy myself. I suggest you do the same. If you don't you may regret it. If you've been hesitant to post something, post it. If you have something you want off your chest, say it. Again, if you don't you might regret it.

uh, that's all I've got for now. I hope whoevers idea the message board extinction was realizes what a huge mistake this is and how upset we are. I love all of you. I want you to comfort each other, reach out, post, summon, all that. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to enjoy this last month of our beloved home, the SAMB. 

• Posted at:

We're Functioning just fine, we're alive

What's your Malfunction?

Bring it forth perfects a bore for what it's worth

Curvy, skinny, or bizarre

The best shape is who you are

Raise your hand if you're not from a mold

Varied strings are worth more than gold

Thumbnail avatar 8c08e2dfa0

misttiger110

Is there any way for the HB forums to be linked outside of the game? Because I can't play the game on my Chromebook, and I (and many others, I assume), prefer using computer for RPing and storywriting (mostly because you can actually copy and paste your work onto the forums, or save it on a doc). 

• Posted at:

Cƈʅσɳҽ 

Ⓢⓤⓑ Ⓟⓔⓦⓓⓢ

*. / .*

, ϮԾ,К

Ꭰ  լ, ԾϮ!

彡  Ᏸ  Ꮶ   

~ȶʊʀռ ȶɦǟȶ ʄʀօառ~

-ndsıdǝdoʍn-

1 , , 3